New tool box project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice but looks very heavy. Do you have a trolley for it because my bad back aches just thinking about lifting stuff.

Last edited:
It came in at 5lbs. I think the plastic one I was using is about 2 lbs. It does all the things I want it to do. I am not sure where all of you are hauling your tool boxes to. Goes from bench to trailer, then to pit table. All of about 30 ft total. If I cant haul it that far then it is time to shoot me. My gas boats are heavier and a lot larger. You never see any one saying how heavy they are.........
Mike

You forgot the weight of everything in it...
Trailer makes it easier but my Superkart toolbox is a similar size and it'd weigh 40lbs easily. Even lifting it in and out of the trailer is a pain.
Our local pond, the council blocked off the road so there is a 500m walk from the nearest car park.

Any reason you didn't mitre the corners? Any why such thick ply?

Also I would suggest you could do away with these solid pieces of timber and run the drawers on the case sides, there is plenty of ply thickness there to work with.
1725920555691.png

Tom,

Mike is old school.
Not many people building a great machinist type box anymore.
Looks Great Mike,
Mark Sholund

Also I would suggest you could do away with these solid pieces of timber and run the drawers on the case sides, there is plenty of ply thickness there to work with.
View attachment 329713
I use a certain set of harden allens. I have 4 each standard and metric. These need the space on the sides to run the allen down into them. They drop in from the top. You can see them in the pic. My drawer are not removable by sliding them out. There is keepers built into the sides that stop them 1/2 short of falling out. You could not put them in without these pieces there. The whole thing slides in and then is screw into the side pieces. This ply is 7/16". I dont think I would want to make it any smaller than that. And yeah I dont consider the tools as weight. I am taking the same tools now that I did before. They are just a lot easier to get to and better organized.

Back