New tool box project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Correct that they don’t make these anymore? I bought it
When I bought the Warlok boat building business from Jon Gambrel many years ago.

Thanks,

Mark

Mike, just realized your old box was only two drawer. Mine looks pretty much like yours, except it's FOUR drawer!!
Would be willing to bet mine was made using a lot of the same design(s) for the drawers. Obviously the outside of the box... The extra drawers are broken up with more slightly smaller areas.
Only writing I found is Plano Tackle Systems.
I'm going back to this old box. At least there's room for my wrenches...

Ken

Mike, just realized your old box was only two drawer. Mine looks pretty much like yours, except it's FOUR drawer!!
Would be willing to bet mine was made using a lot of the same design(s) for the drawers. Obviously the outside of the box... The extra drawers are broken up with more slightly smaller areas.
Only writing I found is Plano Tackle Systems.
I'm going back to this old box. At least there's room for my wrenches...

Ken
I have the same box, but it has 2 drawers,
And then two slide out compartment boxes with closing lids on each.
Pretty handy, holds all my hand tools, wrenches, puller, T handle Allen wrenches..
and the slide out boxes hold starter belts, glow plugs, engine parts, a prop or two.. all sorts of handy things to use lakeside..

Made by Plano,, I think I did have to replace the lifting handle,
iirc, I used an igloo cooler handle from academy..

Mike
Does Eric get one too ? I mean it would be a great step to organize his working table at the race 😂 😂 😂

Nice project. One of a kind toolbox. But, it should be heavy when finished. That's okay, you are big boy......

It is not that heavy. 4lbs ish. It is ok. It only goes from work bench to trailer. Then to pit table.

I had the same problem and decided to just switch to a craftsman 3 drawer tool box and ordered some drawer dividers from Amazon and glued them in with E6000 adhesive it's heavy but it's very durable and the latches won't break.
I did the same yrs ago, they little heavier but last a he'll of a lot longer, mine probably 10 yrs old now

Got some work done. I had to walk away from it for a bit. Some hidden flaws inside the plywood that came our when sanding. Plus I drill a hole for another feature that came thru the front. Was not happy. So patched them up with laminated pieces of wood. Not perfect, but better than building some more parts.

20240824_135643.jpg

20240824_135607.jpg

Got all the drawers built as well as the tops

20240824_135556.jpg

Got second box built as well.

20240824_135522.jpg

Mocked up the lid stop. Just tacked on with CA for the time being to confirm the design. Going to be 2 for each lid. I think I am going to cut these with another 1 degree in them. They are 46 right now. Want a little more tilt back.

20240824_134729.jpg20240824_134741.jpg

Last edited:
Drawer front slides back into box to get out of the way. It is held in place with 2 pins that index into the top of the drawer cover. Spring loaded. Drawers can almost full pull out minus 1/2". There is a stop that keeps them from coming all the way out. Waxed up the rails and my slight binding issue went away. Top T handle holder tucks back against the lid when closed. Locking all handles from coming out of holder. Tilts out just by opening the lid.
Mike

Latest posts

Back