New Project by MikeP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The concentration of these carbon tow fibers in epoxy makes parts harder, stiffer and lighter than anything I have ever done. I thought I would see what else I could do with it. Rigged up some angle to try and mold a 1" CF piece of angle out of it.

Mike

Mike, when making the braze and the L-profile did you only add epoxy or did you add some filler such as silica?

Julius

Guest said:
Mike, when making the braze and the L-profile did you only add epoxy or did you add some filler such as silica?Julius
I add epoxy only, the thinner the epoxy the better it wets out all the tiny fibers.

Mike

im putting( air ) pressure on my T bars or L bars that i am making , made a metal case where i am putting 2 bar on it , pressures the epoxy together .

helps for the little things ,

Bart

Bart,

I would be very interested in how you do that. Do you have a picture of your set up?

My L bar turned out with too much epoxy because I couldn't squeeze it properly. It's ok but could be better.

Mike

Here are a few pieces, the .38 round is made from chopped CF stuffed in silicone tube.

Sure Mike ,

I can't show u the pictures of the metal case tho as this one isn't in my hands anymore , i designed &builded it with someone , ( the owner now ) but i can show u from what i had the idea .

Thing is , when we are mixing epoxies , we are making small airbubbles in it . The only way to solve this ( moreless ) is to suck it vacuum during the mixing .

Now , as dental technician im used to vacuum mixing , but BUT , the things im mixing are easy to clean , epoxies aren't , so thats kinda impossible . I have been running with the idea of making something to do it tho but thats sofar an idea .

So , im still stuck with those tiny airbubbles in it , putting the T bar in a case and sucking it vacuum has no use anymore so , instead of sucking it vacuum im putting air pressure in the case , this squeezes those airbubbles up to nothing ( almost ) , another effect is that the epoxy is pushed together === epoxy gets between your layers/carbon /kevlar /etc == better bonding .

I've been trying it a few times sofar and with succes , the results has been pretty nice .I can't proove that the carasteristics are better of the epoxy but im convinced of it .

first gonna show u this , this was one of my first tests i did to try it , both teeth are same epoxy , same mixed , coming from the same mixed epoxy , same amount in each mold .

Left one , cured on table , right one in the case ( or casserole )

What happened , the left one blowed up ( mainly cause of the thickness , volume .

Right one is very nice .

View attachment 1606

So , what did i use , quite simple ,

Your lovely wife surely has something like a steam casserole ( dunno guys if this is the right word ) , all i know is my mum puts food in it , she has to close it and when its on a high temp it starts to whistle and it stays in it for a while so .

Well , what do you have to do , you simply put an airvalve in it ( its the middle one on the pic ) to get the air in the casserole , AND a pressure gauge ! I got no idea how much such a casserole can take but i have been gone up to 2 bar ( close to 30 psi ? ) Another extra thing u can put on it is an quick air release valve .

View attachment 1608

I think the main prob is by using this : u are limited to the size of your casserole :(

So what did i do , i made a rectangle case , about hmm 15 inches by 6 , five or so high , cause that guy wanted to make longer T bars. The biggest problem we suffered was getting a way to get it closed and sealed off , but finally we solved it up .

when u're building your own case , just make sure guys, i had two handles to get it closed BUT i made it so that i had to screw the top on the case , just to make sure it wouldn't get off . If u make something , make sure its safe.

Hope this helps Mike ,

Bart

PS i'll be making a new case but thats probably a summerproject

I'm too much into this, but I would think a clever guy get an old "K" tank from a welding supply shop and fabricate a pressure vessel from it. Then you would have all the length you need. Just a thought.

Rich

Latest posts

Back