Yea! NASCAR season has started!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, Tony this... Tony that... Today's drivers are a bunch of wussies... If they can't handle the repayment of their actions - they should think about that before initiating any contact...
Yup Jay you're right. I remember grownin' up watchin' Buddy Baker, Cale Yarborough, the Allisons, etc. trade paint for a whole race, even fist fight in pit lane. :lol:

Funniest part is that 'ol Tony was bitchin' all week about aggressive driving & he's the first one flagged for it! :p
Being a Tony Stewart fan it saddens me to see him act like he did, seems to me the correct course of action would have been to let Kensith pass and then gotten behind him and took the air off his spoiler, he had a good enough car to do it with. Had he not been black flagged and sent to the back of the pack who knows, he might have won the race. I have to agree with others Joe Gibbs needs to kick him squarely in the ass and have a serious conversation about his future there......... :angry:

I spent most of last week watching all of the Speed Weeks coverage on Speed and TNT anticipating watching the "Great American Race". Sorry, but this so-called race was an embarrassment to NASCAR fans. Tony trying to convince us that he was a reborn racer then pulling the stunts that he did on the track, all the way up to Jimmy Johnson's win. NASCAR really needs to grow some family jewels and start pulling out the car, not just the crew chief, that will put an end to the hi-jinks. You're telling me that the driver doesn't know what's going on with his race car? Maybe he ought to keep his tail out of his motorhome and spend more time in the garage. Most of these little violations are put in at the shops, not in the openness of a NASCAR garage.

What really tickled me is that the violation was done right in front of NASCAR Officials. They "noticed" that the car needed some more wedge put into it and watched while they put the wrench through the window and warped the window adjusting the track bar.

I was dissapointed at Tony for his actions with Kensith, until I rewatched the incident over and over again on my DVR...

Kensith ran away from the contact, he jerked away hard and pretty much caused himself to lose control trying to avoid the contact from Tony. It was so much so, that Tony almost spun himself out by veering hard left to bump a car that wasn't there...

With that being said, Tony was penalized.. Granted, he was wrong in his actions - but its just part of racing. This whole scenario is just a result of restrictor plate racing. Guys bunched up for 200 laps (in this case 202), doesn't produce great results. These guys were 3 wide quite a bit of the race yesterday. Aggitation and frustration builds and will lead to some issues.

Tony has to remember one thing... He is the reigning Nextel Cup Champ, and the spotlight will be on him no matter where he is at on the track...

Being a “Smoke” fan, I gotta tell ya, that is what I like about the guy. He has a personality. Some people like it and others don’t. As a fan of racing you’re never confused what’s on Smoke’s mind and where he stands as a driver. If he’s pissed he is going to tell you about it, on or off the track.

It’s racing boy’s, that’s why we all watch.

This is a quote that was taken from Tony himself, “You show me a good loser, and I will show you a loser.” That pretty much sums it up…

Mike

Being a “Smoke” fan, I gotta tell ya, that is what I like about the guy. He has a personality. Some people like it and others don’t. As a fan of racing you’re never confused what’s on Smoke’s mind and where he stands as a driver. If he’s pissed he is going to tell you about it, on or off the track.

It’s racing boy’s, that’s why we all watch.

This is a quote that was taken from Tony himself, “You show me a good loser, and I will show you a loser.” That pretty much sums it up…

Mike
Agree 100%

I must have missed Stewart's comments before the race about rough driving . All I heard was him talking about how dangerous bump drafting was when done incorrectly. Afterall, Stewart grew up in the "rubbing is racing" environment.

NASCAR is quickly becoming a game of political correctness and cliches. If you heard "the guys in the fab shop worked real hard" once, you heard it in each and every interview. Can someone explain how a driver can go on and on about his fab shop, engine room, crew and what a great _______(insert brand name) he has and in the next breath say the car was loose or tight.

The drivers are all victims of the golden handcuffs. They now make WAAAAAY too much money to risk losing their jobs by speaking their minds so they go into their canned speeches. Did you see Mark Martin biting his tongue when they asked his opinion of an incident? He just shook his head and literally walked away. Only right after a wreck do they speak their minds while the adrenalin is still pumping and their PR people have not yet briefed them as to what to say. One of the announcers made the comment that there were more PR people in the garage area than there were mechanics. To paraphrase an old expression: Went to a media event and a race broke out !

Being truthful and speaking your mind only gets you a trip to the proverbial red trailer. Ken Schrader once said that NASCAR reminds the driver, when called to the red trailer, that he certainly does not have to race in NASCAR if he does not want to. It's a pretty one sided conversation. And as with many sports, the first infraction might be missed but the retaliation really goes unnoticed.

It's seems ironic that the one who used the chrome horn most often is now even more revered and worshipped since his passing.

The new NASCAR is no longer about equipment and drivers; it's about sponsors and maximizing exposure.

Prediction: NASCAR will become so homogenized and pastuerized, every race will become like the Daytona 500. The races will all be 190 mph slot cars filled with pimply faced kids who only need to know how to hold their foot to the floor.

Rant mode now off.

NASCAR=Smashcar

Next month Formula 1

You won't see guys taking out MILLIONS of dollars worth of vehicles there...on purpose that is.

Besides give me a real road course!

NASCAR=Smashcar
Next month Formula 1

You won't see guys taking out MILLIONS of dollars worth of vehicles there...on purpose that is.

And if you are lucky, you may get to see a pass for the lead by the 3rd race!

Haha, no kidding. Formula One - just as exciting as watching every second of a Tour De France..

NASCAR=Smashcar
Next month Formula 1

Haha, Tony this... Tony that... Today's drivers are a bunch of wussies... If they can't handle the repayment of their actions - they should think about that before initiating any contact...
Yup Jay you're right. I remember grownin' up watchin' Buddy Baker, Cale Yarborough, the Allisons, etc. trade paint for a whole race, even fist fight in pit lane. :lol:

Funniest part is that 'ol Tony was bitchin' all week about aggressive driving & he's the first one flagged for it! :p
Being a Tony Stewart fan it saddens me to see him act like he did, seems to me the correct course of action would have been to let Kensith pass and then gotten behind him and took the air off his spoiler, he had a good enough car to do it with. Had he not been black flagged and sent to the back of the pack who knows, he might have won the race. I have to agree with others Joe Gibbs needs to kick him squarely in the ass and have a serious conversation about his future there......... :angry:
I too am a Tony Fan.

Heck I have raced R/C cars with him he really is a neat guy but I did see things I wished he wouldn't have done.He did have the car to beat I think.Crap he went to the back three times and came back to finish 5th.so he must have pasted at least 100 cars.

:ph34r:

Haha, no kidding. Formula One - just as exciting as watching every second of a Tour De France..

NASCAR=Smashcar
Next month Formula 1

No I really think that watching to opening day of the Tour De France is more exciting than watching the whole season of Formula 1.

No I really think that watching to opening day of the Tour De France is more exciting than watching the whole season of Formula 1.

I once went to a belt sander race and I assure you it was more exciting than the US GP. At least they had more than 5 sanders racing and no boycotting from the Norton shod teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
NASCAR=Smashcar

Next month Formula 1

They are not "taking out MILLIONS of dollars worth of vehicles there" because, they don't have fenders. PLEASE DO NOT COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES..... IT'S NOT THE SAME.

F1, NASCAR, USAC, IROC, IRL, CART, etc... I can go on and on...... THEY ARE NOT THE SAME , PLEASE DON'T COMPARE THEM. Some one please tell me if I am wrong.

Mike

F-1, those annoying sounding, funny looking little cars with the rigged teams? Yeah, we remember when they've told a driver to drop back to let the star of the team win.

I grew up around Saturday nights at the local short tracks since my parents or grandmother would take us. I've seen a few of today's stars run at our little ovals before they were who they are today. Let me know when you have F-1 races at your local track. We do have a NASCAR sanctioned short track just a few minutes away. Circle track wasn't my first love as we have a dragstrip nearby, US-131 Raceway Park, you may have seen it on Speed TV during the weekend.

If you want to start a thread on F-1, go for it. Dirt track? Type away! It's getting kind of old having you guys coming in here trying to rattle our cages with what you like and not liking NASCAR.

Yeah, I'll watch just about anything racing related but don't come in here raining on our parade with the effete snobbery of F-1! Yes, your beloved F-1 just all but commited suicide last year in the tire wars. Six cars showing up for a race? Go ahead, they'll slit their own throats.

Geez guys...take it easy.

I was stating that the Daytona race left something to be desired just like a few others before me.

An I DO happen to like F1 better. Flame me for an opinion.

Of course F1 is completely different to Nascar....sheesh.

But it's all RACING.

I was stating that the Daytona race left something to be desired just like a few others before me.

But it's all RACING.

Your right Alan,

Sorry, I shouldn't have used all caps. I wasn't really yelling. Just voicing my opinion in a strong manner, so there are no and were no hard feelings here….

On with the race talk! :lol:

Formula 1 is a series for the have's and the have mores.. It's about cutting edge technology and snobbish tactics. There is no doubt that they have some of the finest drivers in the world.

As for CART and IRL... They have shot themselves in their own foot. They have no grass roots programs and very rarely take US talent. The NASCAR teams have a leg up, because they are working with young drivers and have many developmental teams with US drivers. Like it or not, NASCAR is doing it right.

Me personally? I'd rather go see a 360 or 410 sprint car race any day. I also grew up going to local dirt tracks and enjoy that form of racing today still more than any other. I spent a few years trying to run a IMCA Modified and a couple racing a LEGEND car.. I enjoyed it, but couldn't afford to keep on doing it in the fashion I wanted to. Now I am back to racing boats and enjoying being a spectator at motorsport events..

But it's all RACING.

Your right Alan,

Sorry, I shouldn't have used all caps. I wasn't really yelling. Just voicing my opinion in a strong manner, so there are no and were no hard feelings here….

On with the race talk! :lol:

Back