.....who we really are

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

requiring identifying who you are by full name

• only in member profile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both profile & post signature

• not at all

• Total voters

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
As posted in the prop box thread-

"I agree. it has been done. mr eur-o-trash has a 15 day suspension to think about it. i'm getting tired of this crap!" :angry:

"Thank you Tom! Mr. e-o-t hasn't contributed anything of positive nature since he joined up the other week. This is another example of why I feel that if you choose to go by a nickname or just first name that it becomes mandatory to identify yourself by your FULL real name in, at the very least, your profile. The preferred way is like how Adam (watercadet) Bob (foolwitools) or Gener (slideblues) just to name a few, do it. They have their name as part of their signature line. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using nicknames, but don't hide behind them either." :angry:

So let's have some constructive input & some voting on this shall we? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO to become someone here or there you MUST identify yourself if you desire to be respected as a person or a member,a student ,a worker etc..... a simple use of common sense however some people like to learn the hard way....sad to see that even in a hobby"healthy" forun we have to share time with trash....well done Tom.

Gill

I'm with ya'll on this. Most people only know me as Buck or Buckshot because that is wht I've been called for many years. I get introduced as Buck by my Friends, Family, and even my Boss and Coworkers. I don't care if people know my real name, but I go by Buck. ;)

William "Buckshot" Shackelford

:)

Well let me weigh in on this. I'm the only neither vote. You guys don't understand how many anonymous people are on the forum. I see people logged in all the time as hidden. Beginners might just want to lurk for a while. If they had to give a real name they just might go elsewhere. This is the internet, by definition it is kinda anonymous.

That being said I can't deny that with our growing population things have been a lot more likely to get out of hand lately. It has been getting on my nerves just like everyone else. So maybe the time has come to do something. I do believe if we require a real name that it would be a bad idea to require it in a particular place or more than one place. A lot of people don't even know they have a signature much less how to modify/make it. I would say as long as you have a real name someplace it's good to go. I mean if it is in someones profile then it is only 1 click away. Some people have their username as a real name. Why should they have it on their sig and profile as well?

More: I don't have time to be the "Name Police". We would need a volunteer for this job.

I am the LAW in these Parts! Now use a real name or get booted!

:eek:

who wants this username?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't an anonymous member simply someone who has not registered? If you take the time to register only then do you have the ability to post right? I would think that at least saying who you are in your profile is not too much to ask of someone who should be responsible for what they might post. Just add one box to the profile listing that says "your full name --required". Just a thought...............

And BTW- I would think that for those that use real name it's enough, I should have been clearer. ;)

I am curious,

What is the perceived end result by requiring the users "real name"?

Will it lower the undesirable BS that happens from a few select individuals?

Will it validate what he/she is offering for a specific topic?

Will it bring everyone together as a close-nit family?

yada yada yada....

It really doesn't make a difference to me personally; I don't have anything to hide. My point is, I don't think the content of the information is going to change. I don't think people are going to be more or less truthful.

So I ask the question again. What is the desired result of requiring a "real name"?

Mike Ball

Guys,

Personally, I think it's nice to know who I'm talking to or who is talking to me. Whenever I get a PM or IW E-Mail from a "use name", my first response is only to ask "Who are you?" I offer no further info until I get a reply answering my request. I first signed up as "BlackJack21", but soon altered my profile to "Brad Christy" (or singed up again using the latter, I can't remember which....) The way I see it, if someone wants to remain anonymous, they can just refrain from posting, lurking is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

I am curious,

What is the perceived end result by requiring the users "real name"?

Will it lower the undesirable BS that happens from a few select individuals?

Will it validate what he/she is offering for a specific topic?

Will it bring everyone together as a close-nit family?

yada yada yada....

It really doesn't make a difference to me personally; I don't have anything to hide. My point is, I don't think the content of the information is going to change. I don't think people are going to be more or less truthful.

So I ask the question again. What is the desired result of requiring a "real name"?

Mike Ball
Just use you real name ya rotten kid.lololol

Ron Jr

Mom always said "Don't talk to strangers" and she had no idea that there would be something called the "internet".

<_<

Mom always said "Don't talk to strangers" and she had no idea that there would be something called the "internet".

<_<

Jerry, when did you ever listen to your mom? :lol:

Merry Christamas and Happy New Year!

Ron

I for one think that asking for a real name will not stop the TROLLS. It is easy to use a fake real name, alot of people have access to more than one computer so you can not always block the IP address.

The good thing is TROLLS get board and move on to the next forum they run accross, but then another will stop by. The best thing to do is not feed them, they like the contact just ignore them and they go away.

David Carey

OKOKOK!! Been wanting to do this for a long time anyway. Besides, I think the only person I aggrevate on here is Don F and he does the right thing and just Ignores me. :p :D

Latest posts

Back