.....who we really are

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

requiring identifying who you are by full name

• only in member profile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both profile & post signature

• not at all

• Total voters
And for the comments about your name out in public, I got news for you, if you own a credit card or have done ANY on-line purchasing the damage is already done. Your name is out there for all to see, regardless of what these so called "privacy policies" say that those on line & credit card companies post. They share your info amongst "affiliates" they are loosely tied to because they legally can. :eek:
There's a difference between having one's name shared among businesses and having it easily findable by any wacko with a browser. I can't control what businesses do with the information I provide to them, but I can choose what information I put in public places.
I hate to burst your bubble but I went to Yahoo people seach & just typed in your name & in about 10 seconds I had your complete address & phone number.
My name or my id here?

Guess I'm a wacko huh? :lol:
Ummm.... :p

Seriously though the spammers, wackos & such have WAY better resources for name bases than to go into places like I/W & look up members names. Not to mention alot of ISP's are some of the worst offenders of poorly protected data. :(
I wasn't saying they would come HERE to look for names. However, including names in places that are searchable just makes things easier. I don't know if anyone would ever do this, but I see no reason to make things easier if they do.

I wasn't saying they would come HERE to look for names. However, including names in places that are searchable just makes things easier. I don't know if anyone would ever do this, but I see no reason to make things easier if they do.
I agree Chuck, that's why I asked if it's possible to make viewing someone's profile only by registered members. BTW- it was your real name I used on Yahoo search. :)

I appreciate the responses so far from everyone. I also am intrigued by with over 80 votes so far that a little over 88% would like to see a real name somewhere. It's like John Finch said in his post, it's also nice to know who you're talking to. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
And for the comments about your name out in public, I got news for you, if you own a credit card or have done ANY on-line purchasing the damage is already done. Your name is out there for all to see, regardless of what these so called "privacy policies" say that those on line & credit card companies post. They share your info amongst "affiliates" they are loosely tied to because they legally can. :eek:
There's a difference between having one's name shared among businesses and having it easily findable by any wacko with a browser. I can't control what businesses do with the information I provide to them, but I can choose what information I put in public places.
I hate to burst your bubble but I went to Yahoo people seach & just typed in your name & in about 10 seconds I had your complete address & phone number. Guess I'm a wacko huh? :lol:

Seriously though the spammers, wackos & such have WAY better resources for name bases than to go into places like I/W & look up members names. Not to mention alot of ISP's are some of the worst offenders of poorly protected data. :(

Now here is a thought- is there a way to set it up so only registered members can view a member profile? That way a person could put his/her real name there & it only can be viewed by actual I/W members. B)
Yo Don. see if you can Yahoo my address up so you'll know where to send that Smokin Joes boat to. :rolleyes:

I agree Chuck, that's why I asked if it's possible to make viewing someone's profile only by registered members. BTW- it was your real name I used on Yahoo search. :)
I thought it was my real name, I've been pretty careful to keep that off the web. I only give it out to wackos I know. :D I use anywho to look up numbers and addresses.

The web can be a great thing, I recently helped one of my wife's friends track down a deadbeat contractor. She and her husband run a restaurant. They called this guy to fix their freezer. They were foolish and paid him before the work was finished. He ended up screwing it up and disappearing. They were out the money they gave him plus the additional money it cost for someone else to fix his mistakes. The butthead even cancelled his cell phone to try to hide. Armed with his name, cell number, and business name I was able to find about 10 other numbers he had used, 4 or 5 different business addresses, and most important, his home address and number. With this information, the couple were able to take the deadbeat to small claims court. Most likely he's still trying to figure out how the heck these people were able to track him down. :)

hi yawl...

my name is Ron Green in case we meet up at some event somewhere B)

see ya in a few days at Blue Lake [Don F] from Mechanicsville, Va.

Ron

hi yawl...

my name is Ron Green in case we meet up at some event somewhere B)

see ya in a few days at Blue Lake [Don F] from Mechanicsville, Va.

Ron
Cool. Look forward to it Ron. :)

100 votes & still holding @ 88% in favor of a real full name somewhere viewable. B)

I still like the idea of only registered members being able to view profiles if that could be done. ;)

I use my real name and my Namba number in my signature, That is a good place to have it if it is required: if you are just brousing the internet and come accross this site you can not see the signatures unless you are a "logged on registered member" it is only for those to see.

100 votes & still holding @ 88% in favor of a real full name somewhere viewable. B)

I still like the idea of only registered members being able to view profiles if that could be done. ;)

I use my real name and my Namba number in my signature, That is a good place to have it if it is required: if you are just brousing the internet and come accross this site you can not see the signatures unless you are a "logged on registered member" it is only for those to see.

Wow, that is very cool!! I just tried it, logged out & came back in as a "guest" & you're absolutely right, the signature lines on everyone's posts are NOT viewable. So there ya go, a perfect place to put your name if you're worried about it being "out there" for just anyone to see. ;)

Wow, that is very cool!! I just tried it, logged out & came back in as a "guest" & you're absolutely right, the signature lines on everyone's posts are NOT viewable. So there ya go, a perfect place to put your name if you're worried about it being "out there" for just anyone to see. ;)

thewave.gif

you guys keep talking.... if nobody volunteers it wont make a difference.........

Hmm, missed this thread, Don I agree with you , the folks that run the forum should at the very least know who is on it, I am a moderator on another forum, and I have just encountered something really wild, I am not going to sling hash, you can talk to Tom about it, but it is a clear example of why names need to be filled out, we are trying to adopt that policy on the red forum, and we ask that all new guys fill out there profile completely, I can understand folks may not want to post their full names etc due to phishers etc, but we overcome that by having them send their names to a moderator or admin, I mean deals on the swap shop, trolls, funny email addresses all kinds of weird stuff.

thanx for the poll....

Tom ,

Voluntering for ? ( NAMECOP ?)

If so , Whats his or hers job ?

Best Regards ,

B

I got nothing to hide , its "What You See Is What You Get"

I'd change my profile to my name if it would let me, and keep all the other info also. My name is (as Andy Kaffman would say) Ron Hartley and race in RCU here in the PNW. I think the profile section should also be filled out more so we can get more of an idea who we are and who we are talking to. Also how does the photo gallery work?

I'd change my profile to my name if it would let me, and keep all the other info also. My name is (as Andy Kaffman would say) Ron Hartley and race in RCU here in the PNW. I think the profile section should also be filled out more so we can get more of an idea who we are and who we are talking to. Also how does the photo gallery work?

Ron,

I'm sure if you asked Tom Moorehouse, he'd look into changing it for you.

Tom,

What does the job entail? I could do it if we all decide it's needed.........

Tim.

OK I got a stupid question! What or who keeps someone from using a ficticous name? If that cannot be policed then this whole thing is mute?

OK I got a stupid question! What or who keeps someone from using a ficticous name? If that cannot be policed then this whole thing is mute?
It will not be 100% perfect but my faith in the MAJORITY of I/W members says it will be fine. I can only recall one or two instances of fake names on Marty's rc.boat.com which requires real names only & they eventually got caught.

It will not be 100% perfect but my faith in the MAJORITY of I/W members says it will be fine. I can only recall one or two instances of fake names on Marty's rc.boat.com which requires real names only & they eventually got caught.
Would that be a "real" majority, or an IMPBA majority? :p

Would that be a "real" majority, or an IMPBA majority? :p
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see you added your info to your signature once we learned only registered members can see it. :D

hi , if you do a google search on my name , i appearently play county cricket and am not a bad batsman...

who stole my name ?? i dont know .....

tofastformellow is a terror track on the nasenbluden(nose bleed) label from around 95-96 one of my fav terror track.

gotta love good beats !!!

:p

Jason 'tofastformellow' Voros

Hey Don how about we use our IMPBA# this way only the people on this forum will know what the number is and they can search for the name of the IMPBA files. Just a thought. I would use my real name, but I don't think there's enough space in this forum to write it down! :lol: It's one of those big, looong Greek names! :blink:

Nick :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back