Tuned Pipe Design Software?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoboat

Boaters,

We are looking into making some tuned pipes in the off-season up here in the Midwest.

Does anyone have or know of any tuned pipe design software out on the market?

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

231-590-3023

Email is: [email protected]

Mark,

If you are looking for a performance software package then go to Marty Davis and see what he's got.

I used a piece of software back in the '80s (forget who developed it - it came with a text on 2 stroke engines - I think Marty patterned his software from this). It was OK. I wound up modifying that and actualy had some good results.

good luck

Jim V

Contact Tom vd Brink (member here) of Twister racing.

He made a excelprogram based on Blair and Jennings ,

that's focussed on model-engines.

It designs 1 to 3 stage cones.

dwilfong said:
You can forget all programs based on Martin Heperle's calculations ,

they are for low rev airplanes ... see the ridiculous mid-sections.

Tim_Duggan said:
MOTAI hope you have a fast processor in your PC. Not essential, but it will save a lot of time.
If you're willing to spend 250aus$/170us$ on a program .. be my guest.

The simple-2stage-pipe program is free : > Download

Tom's program will cost you 12% of that ammount , maybe he'll give it for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a combination of an empirical pipe design program, engine simulation software, and actual dyno testing. Both a free pipe design program and a simple, inespensive engine simulation program are available at http://www.iwt.com.au/MOTA.HTM The engine simulation program gives only very approximate power for gasoline engines. I have no idea how it would work for glow engines. I now use a more elaborate program.

I first design a pipe with the empirical program and run the simulation program to see what the power curve looks like. I then make small changes in the virtual pipe and see how that changes the power curve. When I get some pipes I like, I build two or three in very light stainless steel and compare the dyno results against a known pipe on a known engine. If one works out, I build it in heavier material. I find that pipe design heavily depends on engine porting and engine porting strongly influences pipe design. It is impossible to design a pipe without an engine and specific use in mind. There are a series of articles in the NAMBA Propwash and at modelgasboats.com describing some of my pipe development projects.

lohring Miller

Mark, Don't waste your money on the Mota simulation program because it will not design a good tuned pipe for small model engine use. I use Mota and have modified the program a lot to give some fairly realistic results but its a massive amount of work for very little gain and the hundreds of hours I've spent working on it could better have been spent cutting up existing pipes and testing them to find some improvement.

Dave

Guys,

I will take Dave's advice and just keep modifying our present pipes designs.

Thanks For All The Input,

Mark Sholund

Back