• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tool Wanted Speedmaster Charts for Pitch Gauge

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indicator movement x 360 / # degrees = pitch

My "standard" is to measure 15* of the LE and 15* of the TE at 75% from the C/L.

For example the LE on some 1667's I just checked was:

0.180" x 360 / 15 = 4.32"

I've found that LE pitch will tell you pretty close what speed the prop is capable of, with zero slip it's:

pitch in inches x rpm / 1057

For that 1667 it's: 4.32 x 24,000 / 1057 = 98.1 mph. If you have a clean running boat 15% slip works well so 98.1 x 0.85 = 83 mph.

I checked this audio tach app with the data logger on my SAW boat and it's surprisingly accurate: Engine RPM

My 90 boat with the above prop ran 82 in this vid with the Sky RC GPS. TMI!

Last edited:
I use a WOODs gauge.. BUT picked this Speedmaster in a buyout.. if the Speedmaster came with charts it would be good to get a set back with this gauge.

Thanks for posting TK.. your info is invaluable to us all!

Grim

Just got back in town and will send this week.
Hi Richard Sorry to bother you with this but I wanted to see if you might still have a way to send me or post the speed master charts ?. Grim is sending me a speed master prop gauge and I would like to have the charts .Its been a while and he mentioned that he only had the gauge. Thanks Dave
My email is [email protected].

Last edited:
I use a WOODs gauge.. BUT picked this Speedmaster in a buyout.. if the Speedmaster came with charts it would be good to get a set back with this gauge.

Thanks for posting TK.. your info is invaluable to us all!

Grim
Just a curiosity thing, what is the difference between the Woods and the Speedmaster gauge system?

Nothing Don. They both measure the same way. I think the step measurement are even done the same. 1/8" The one Mark and I have use a 1/8 and 1/4 spacer. Still wish I knew where my went. Mark borrowed my rotary table years ago to make himself a pitch gauge after he seen the one Andy B was using. Andys was a hughey on a larger handle. When Mark return the rotary table he handed me one he made for me. I thought it was a good trade.
Mike

Just a curiosity thing, what is the difference between the Woods and the Speedmaster gauge system?

The Woods gage is like the old Hughey unit, move a certain distance down the blade and measure the degrees of rotation it takes to do it.

The Orlic gage (Speedmaster) rotates the blade a certain number of degrees and an indicator measures the distance the blade would advance (pitch).

I received the cards from Richard . Thank you so much for these. I wanted to post them so if anyone ever needs them they will be here.

Attachments

• Speedmaster Pitch Guage.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 0
  • Pitch Guage Step Height #1.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pitch Guage Step Height #2.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Speedmaster Pitch Guage #2.pdf
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pitch Guage Step Height #3.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Pitch Guage Step Height #4.pdf