radio choices

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
I FINALLY almost have my 82u55 '82 Executone done, but i need to get a radio for it, because all the frequencies are reserved, that i have....NAMBA dist 3.....Sooo I was wondering about a futaba faast radio, in particular the 3GR FS 2 stick....I like stick radios, but it seems like its been a long time since anyone has made one that is worth a flip!! any opinions on this radio?? also does the 603ff reciever have 2 antennas or 1?? Its obvious that I know NOTHING about faast radio systems.....I dont use a 3rd channel remote needle on my boats, cause i cant walk and chew gum at the same time!! just one more thing for me to screw up !! Any suggestions, comments, or opinions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks, Bill

I FINALLY almost have my 82u55 '82 Executone done, but i need to get a radio for it, because all the frequencies are reserved, that i have....NAMBA dist 3.....Sooo I was wondering about a futaba faast radio, in particular the 3GR FS 2 stick....I like stick radios, but it seems like its been a long time since anyone has made one that is worth a flip!! any opinions on this radio?? also does the 603ff reciever have 2 antennas or 1?? Its obvious that I know NOTHING about faast radio systems.....I dont use a 3rd channel remote needle on my boats, cause i cant walk and chew gum at the same time!! just one more thing for me to screw up !! Any suggestions, comments, or opinions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks, Bill
I use the Fasst system. the 603ff uses one ant. if your using a front radio box this will work fine. If your using a rear box it wont or shall i say might not. My rule is ff if its way from heat source,fs if its near heat and if your buying get fs for add ons. No stick for me im dislexic this would be havoc for me.....Mike

I use the Fasst system. the 603ff uses one ant. if your using a front radio box this will work fine. If your using a rear box it wont or shall i say might not. My rule is ff if its way from heat source,fs if its near heat and if your buying get fs for add ons. No stick for me im dislexic this would be havoc for me.....Mike

say Mikey, I did my radio box a little different in that the box is on the left side of the pipe so the pipe is well clear of the radio box....the pipe exits off to the right and out the transom of the boat....i guess what im asking is how much heat does it take to possibly effect the reciever? probably a hard question to answer, im sure. Thanks, Bill

say Mikey, I did my radio box a little different in that the box is on the left side of the pipe so the pipe is well clear of the radio box....the pipe exits off to the right and out the transom of the boat....i guess what im asking is how much heat does it take to possibly effect the reciever? probably a hard question to answer, im sure. Thanks, Bill
For the money buy a radio and an extra rec a 603fs for the scale and put the other in someting else.......

Bill,

If your ready to take the fassst leap of faith, and looking for a sitck. Take a look at the Futaba 3vcs. I understand that you don't use a 3rd channel now, but the 3vcs is far better suited for use of a mixture control than the 3GR FS. From what I am being told it's (the 3vcs) much easier to program than the older 3ucp. I have been look at them for awhile now, but I still have a little sticker shock and can't bring myself to by one.... YET.....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXRSE0&P=0

Some well respected "stick guys" in our area have them and like them alot.

Ron Zaker Jr

Steve Ball (Hey, I know that guy)

Mike Zambroiski (sorry for the spelling there Grim)

I am sure there are others out there...

Just my 2 cents...

Have fun

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

Lets get you up and going here... the guys on the board have sent you the right way for sure.. take the leap.. you will be glad you did.

The 3GR.. VERY NICE radio.. I use its brother system the 3PM as my test radio at work and have had ZERO issues with it (603FFRX) regardless of what boat it is in. (I DO LOTS OF TESTING.. I can not stress that enough..). The 3GR as you know does not have a 3rd channel dial but rather a two position switch.. (hey.. I tried to get Futaba to change it but not at this time..).. VERY SOLID SYSTEM.. it like the 3V needs to have a ratchet on put on the throttle stick.. it comes 50/50 or 70/30..

The 3V is my race radio (hydros).. And man do I like it. I do use the 603FS RX's with it but would not hesitate to use the FF.. I have it setup so that full down stick is idle and the momentary switch is mixed to pull the carb closed.. Its a very nice radio.

Either way.... the choice is clear.. FUTABA.. Im saying that for two reasons.. one.. its my duty as a team member to make sure you are informed and second.. I would TRUST NO OTHER 2.4 system, AND.. I would rather LOOSE the 63 Bardahl then have to go back to XTLS.. NEVER AGAIN.. EVER..

Take care

Grim..

P.S... Mike.. Close enough.. It took me years to learn it too.

The 3GR.. VERY NICE radio.. I use its brother system the 3PM as my test radio at work and have had ZERO issues with it (603FFRX) regardless of what boat it is in. (I DO LOTS OF TESTING.. I can not stress that enough..). The 3GR as you know does not have a 3rd channel dial but rather a two position switch.. (hey.. I tried to get Futaba to change it but not at this time..).. VERY SOLID SYSTEM.. it like the 3V needs to have a ratchet on put on the throttle stick.. it comes 50/50 or 70/30..
The 3V is my race radio (hydros).. And man do I like it. I do use the 603FS RX's with it but would not hesitate to use the FF.. I have it setup so that full down stick is idle and the momentary switch is mixed to pull the carb closed.. Its a very nice radio.
Grim, can you compare using the 3V versus the 3PKS for boat racing? I fly, so I could go with either wheel or stick. I will most likely switch from crystals to 2.4 and am trying to decide if I should get a new radio or just buy a module and plug it into my 3PJS. If I get a new radio, trying to evaluate the choices. The 3PM would be a good choice, but I'm not enthused with the toggle option for the 3rd channel.

Hi Chuck,

I have both and use the 3PKS for my tunnels and my 3V on my hydros. Tunnels require a completely different style of radio in my opinion.

With a hydro its ALL boat speed and power management. A two stick gives me this benefit. With tunnels its boat speed management with a possible lift here, tuck there and a quick jott to the left or right. Just feels SO different to me.

So... for what its worth i feel very strongly about the separation of the two for these style of hulls.. I do have some time with monos and like my two stick with them too but its a bit hit and miss because Im not a good mono guy.

Tunnels = Pistol Grip

Monos = on the fence

Hydros = Two stick

Thanks

Grim

Point of view from an FE guy (for what it's worth). I've been running the FASST system in my SAW boats for the last 6 months (certainly couldn't argue with the offer to join the team). My P Hydro SAW boat is lovingly called the carbon coffin, truely an all carbon boat. The power system puts out a fair amount of noise at 350+ amps. The FASST 2.4ghz system is the only radio I've never suffered a glitch with, I'm sold. I wouldn't put anything else in the 100+mph boats.

I'm using the 3PKS and love it for heat racing. But as Mike said, power management is more natural with a stick radio (30 years of airplanes). The end result for me is going to be the 3PKS for heat racing and a 3GR for SAWs (FE=No mixture control).

I've run both 603 rx's and have noticed no difference if the external antenna is properly mounted/exposed.

Just my .02

Thanks Grim and Brian, that gave me some more food for thought. I could stick with the 3PJS for tunnels and switch to a 2.4 stick system for everything else. Interestingly, 20+ years ago I used to run stick radios exclusively for boats. But that got me thinking that if I'm going to make the switch (back) to a stick radio for boats, maybe I should go ahead and upgrade my plane transmitter to 2.4 and use it for both boats and planes. Time for more research...

One more voice. I suffer the same affliction as Brian. 41 years of airplanes, so for me I am going to go to a stick radio. I have a 3PM 2.4 FASST and it has been rock solid in my electric and gas boats. I also use both receivers (FF and FS) and cannot notice a difference between them.

I am going to a stick radio because a wheel radio just does not feel "natural" to me. My reflexes are built around 2 sticks and my brain is to old to learn new tricks. I am still deciding between the G-RS and VCS. Leaning towards the VCS since it has some features like a true throttle curve that the other radio lacks.

But either way, you cannot go wrong. The Futaba FASST system is simply the most robust spread spectrum radio out there right now, especially for boats.

I just bought a 3VCS radio and I was surprised and dissapointed that for the price, it does not come with servos, rechargable batteries and a charger. However, it does come with a really nice 112 page manual :D

Olly

I just bought a 3VCS radio and I was surprised and dissapointed that for the price, it does not come with servos, rechargable batteries and a charger. However, it does come with a really nice 112 page manual :D
Olly
Then don't even look at a 14MZ. $2,200 and no servos. But it does have rechargeable packs!!

FWIW, I just changed over my 3PM to the new Sanyo Eneloop cells and will do the same with the 3VCS when I get it. They are sort of like Lipos in that they hold their charge on the shelf for a long time. 85% of capacity retained at 1 year!!

God, the price of this stuff is downright frightening.....and here is the crazy part....on several of my smaller boats i still run AM radios...with outstanding results....at a 2 day race that i was at , my reciever for my 20 hydro failed....it was 12 YEARS OLD! I was talking with Walt Barney about radio stuff and we both agreed that proper installation and maintenance of radio systems is almost as important as the type of system that one choses to use!! Man ive seen some real nasty installs out there... not just in boats, but airplanes and helicopters as well !!! Im Not knocking the new stuff, mind you...it IS incredible, but it sure does thin out the old wallet!!! Bill

The move to 2.4 is going to be an interesting adventure. With each manufacturer creating their own protocol, once you choose a company, you're locked in. Gone are the days of competition for the best value for things like receivers.

Ive been using the Futaba 3PK FM for the last 5-6 years without any problems(mainly because i have 8 rxs to go with it). I used to be a 2 stick guy also it took quite a while to convert to a wheel radio but now i'm hooked! Our club just switched to a 1/6 mi course this season, we warned members their radios must be up to snuff(FM) to race safely.

We had our first club run last yesturday no major Tx problems. A few wet Rxs took a couple boats into the sea wall(with sad results). But we have noticed once Tx voltages drop below 11V chances of experiencing glitches goes up considerably.

I will be the one to voice against all this here.

I have been racing RC since my boy was 11, he is now 31. We have raced with RCU here in the Northwest since 1996.

2 years ago we introduced 2.4 to boats up here. We had success in cars with it so why not in boats. We soon found out that not only did our steering servos pull down enough power from the receiver to allow minor glitching but the most insignificant amount of condensation in the radio box was a killer. We warned others to steer clear as we moved back to OEM receivers with our Aitronics M11s. To no avail we saw boats hitting the beach.

Don't get me wrong, it may work for some. We are not willing to accept the risk.

The good news! As others still commit to the 2.4 systems it just opens our frequencies back up for us.

You make a couple of good points. First, most all 2.4 systems require the use of 6 volt / 5-cell battereis. They are sensitive to low voltages. Some more than others, but all recommend the 5-cell packs.

Installation is critical in that the antenna needs to be given the best shot at seeing the TX antenna. Can you run inside the box because it's such a cute little bugger? Sure you can, but none of the radio makers recommend it, in fact they all specifically recommend against it.

And they do seem to be more sensitive to water. But that just means we need to be a bit more careful about our installations, and how is that a bad thing.?

And finally, not all 2.4 systems are created equal. Plain fact is some have been shown to work essentially flawlessly and others not so much.

One more voice. I suffer the same affliction as Brian. 41 years of airplanes, so for me I am going to go to a stick radio. I have a 3PM 2.4 FASST and it has been rock solid in my electric and gas boats. I also use both receivers (FF and FS) and cannot notice a difference between them.
I am going to a stick radio because a wheel radio just does not feel "natural" to me. My reflexes are built around 2 sticks and my brain is to old to learn new tricks. I am still deciding between the G-RS and VCS. Leaning towards the VCS since it has some features like a true throttle curve that the other radio lacks.

But either way, you cannot go wrong. The Futaba FASST system is simply the most robust spread spectrum radio out there right now, especially for boats.

What is suppose be the difference between the FF and the FS receivers??????

Robert

Need a answer on receivers for the fasst system plain and simple...Using a 3pks converted to Fasst

cmono pipe goes right over the radio box plenty of air for cooling

gas hydro radio away from pipe Insane

thunderboat radio box along side pipe but plenty of air about 2-3 inches away

scale radio box up front no problem with pipe

scale pipe right over radio box plenty of air for cooling

scale pipe over box good cooling

so with this again answer on what receivers....Thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back