New tool box project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hughes

Vendor
I have been using a Plano 2 drawer tool box for years. It has served me well. I even found a NOS stock one and replaced it 10 years or so ago. Now that I am running gas and electric, it seems to be overflowing now. I only carry tools that I use for boats. Too many metric tools now in the smaller and larger range. I have to dig to get to anything.

I have always like the Gerstner style tool boxes. Just not the price. I know Harbor Freight has one that is similar, but it seems a little cheaply made and might fall apart over the long haul.

So why not make my own. I sourced all the hardware and picked it up on Amazon. My new design will be custom to me. Going with a 3 drawer set up with an open top. The plano drawer layout I am keeping. Just making it a little larger in width, depth, and length. Be thinking about this for the past 2 years and finally have found some time to get it started.

Old tool box.20240810_152737.jpg

20240810_104505.jpg20240810_104521.jpg20240810_103247.jpg20240810_152820.jpg

I started with the drawers since I need that sized perfectly for the rest of the tool box. They have the most work in them. Lot easier to build box around them. The padding will be replaceable. All the dividers come out and new piece can go in. I have a few trick items I want to do with this project. I will point those out as I get them done.
Mike

Maybe a pound ish more than it is now. Going to be 2" wider/longer. And 1" deeper.

Yes sir. That is oak side rails on the drawers.
That’s cool. A few months ago I was playing with full extension wood rails for a cabinet I build for my drill press. They worked but the drawers were to big and heavy so I’m going to replace them will ball bearing slides.
For a small box like your making, they should work fine. Lots of good vids on U-tube on wood slides!

I get where you're coming from with the old box... I have the same box as your old one. The outer door that keeps the drawers from sliding open was warping out at the upper corners. Called Plano. Was told that model was discontinued. And, didn't have any of the front doors on hand. Went and bought another similar... Doesn't have the long spots for like my lineman's pliers, hacksaw blades, small flat file, etc, etc, etc!!! And the spots are short and very narrow. I've always brought a second box for the larger and long Items. A pain!

Ken

Last edited:
Mike,
Nice work, wish I had some time to make one.
Milwaukee makes a very nice one.
I have one of those Plano Phantoms that
I never use. What are they worth?

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Last edited:
I have been using a Plano 2 drawer tool box for years. It has served me well. I even found a NOS stock one and replaced it 10 years or so ago. Now that I am running gas and electric, it seems to be overflowing now. I only carry tools that I use for boats. Too many metric tools now in the smaller and larger range. I have to dig to get to anything.

I have always like the Gerstner style tool boxes. Just not the price. I know Harbor Freight has one that is similar, but it seems a little cheaply made and might fall apart over the long haul.

So why not make my own. I sourced all the hardware and picked it up on Amazon. My new design will be custom to me. Going with a 3 drawer set up with an open top. The plano drawer layout I am keeping. Just making it a little larger in width, depth, and length. Be thinking about this for the past 2 years and finally have found some time to get it started.

Old tool box.View attachment 329068

View attachment 329070View attachment 329071View attachment 329069View attachment 329072
Nice project as usual for you Mike, keep us posted

Looks great Mike.
Maybe you or someone could laxer cut out a FLAT kit that one can build.

The Plano tackle boxes work but don’t last long.
The handle is the greatest weakness.

I put sheet rock screws in new ones to hold the handle

I had the same problem and decided to just switch to a craftsman 3 drawer tool box and ordered some drawer dividers from Amazon and glued them in with E6000 adhesive it's heavy but it's very durable and the latches won't break.

Progress made today. Struggle to get some parts the right size. Had 2 tape measure that were coming up with different readings. Carcas parts.

20240811_153048.jpg

Drawers mocked up. Still need to build the parts that hold the wood rails. All of this will be removeable since I plan on making them so they can slide out all the way. Plus it add a space I need for another added feature.

20240811_165010.jpg

20240811_165020.jpg

Last edited:
Cool stuff. I envoy everyone’s skills on this site and enjoy the fact your willingness to share! Thanks Mike!

I have never had any patience for things. Every since I was a kid doing projects in my Dads garage. I am 55 years old and you would of though I would have learn by now. BUT HELL NO.

As you can see in the pic, there are 2 rails glued in. The third one cant go in right now. Some dumby tried to force the part that was slighty too large to fit the groove with a hammer. Wood split part of the way. So now it is clamped to the table saw and glue drying.

20240811_201312.jpg

Latest posts

Back