Is the OB class doomed?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure where you get you $700 from? They are $860AUD which is $570USD (plus postage) is still pretty cheap really IMO...you get a motor, hardware and a pipe, even a prop and flex shaft!

Anyway, people need to just understand that if people want to do this hobby, they will. The internet is a wonderful thing, where people can search for things like this. The problem is that a lot of clubs say things like 'you should sell that POS and get a gas boat' or similar...

Might sound pessimistic, but there is no point worrying too much about it...just keep having fun doing what you do and that is all that matters!

Last I looked the OS is $725 at Tower H. Is there another complete OB readily available? Hard to get new racers that also need to piece meal together something.

Kris, because today in 2024, 700 creates more stress then 570. Lack of research or tweakening the truth is what is important in this arena if you want to make a point. When people let go of the fact that motors are no longer 125 bucks like they were when they first got into the HOBBY... LIKE EVERYHTING else.. Futaba Mag Jr was 70 bucks.. Fuel was 18bucks a gal, Plugs 1.25 each.. Hot Shot kit 69 bucks.

TO ME.. the REAL deal is humanity's time being wasted on a phone. We are cyborgs to our devices.

SET THE PHONE DOWN,.. and watch your interests flourish. Sure.. Use it to research, learn, connect.. but to just watch somebody else enjoy the hobby... silly..

BUILD A BOAT, Get together with friends, ENJOY, teach and learn.

Grim

All,

I have only been in the hobby for 5 years and have a passion for outboards. To give you all an idea, to build a decent gas hull that is fast and reliable will set you back around $2500 to $3000 aud complete with a basic remote. now plenty of guys will persist in buying someone else's crap for $1000 to $1500 and persist with it constantly playing up and either leave the hobby or do it the right way and build a new hull at the large cost. When we consider this larger cost, you can build a 3.5 nitro hull for this. Where it becomes hard is what's required to building it. if it's a timber kit it's a lot of work and for a glass hull here they are pretty much no existent.

I have been importing gas hulls into Australia for the last 3 years and sell a complete built boat that is race ready for under $2500 aud. this has not only been a great success for the hobby here but also getting new guys into the sport. My plan next is to look at outboard tunnels and try and push complete boats ready to race. I think this is really the only way to get the new or younger guys into the outboards.

I was lucky enough to have 3 guys share their massive amount of knowledge when i first started getting into this hobby and Kris was a massive part in this and still is. If we want the class to survive i think it is on us all to help out and push it.

Cheers
Neal

Back