Boat weight effect.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with Dave's post. To take it one step further, the more weight you end up with, the more it's going to cost you. When it comes to boats, more weight means:
  • more power is needed to get the boat up on plane
  • top end will be lower since the boat will probably have more contact area with the water
  • the boat won't want to turn as easily due to inertia
  • shorter run times due to needing more power to get the boat up and keep it up
If you're only talking an ounce or three, it's probably not going to be a big deal. If your talking half a pound or more.........

It will have the same effect as the nitros as far as acceleration...it just wont be the same unless you look at GS course logs or data logs as other have said already.

Ultimately, electric boats are generally 'too fast' for their size for most current designs so weight is your friend!

While as an engineer I agree the basic assumptions are correct less weight is generally better however I would say only generally. If you can make it lighter (assuming no other trade off like strength) you should.

However the benefit in actual practice is not so obvious. For example in LSG Thunderboat fiberglass boats compete very well against wood boats. This is despite that fiberglass boats tend to be 1-3 lbs heavier than wood boats.

So my opinion
Lighter is better. However things like hull design, aerodynamics, prop selection, overall tuning are probably more important as a whole.

Just my 2 cents.

It will have the same effect as the nitros as far as acceleration...it just wont be the same unless you look at GS course logs or data logs as other have said already.

Ultimately, electric boats are generally 'too fast' for their size for most current designs so weight is your friend!

This is the answer I was looking for. It feels heavy to me. I had another person look at it and it seems fine to them. Thanks.

Weight dictates how much energy it takes to accelerate AND then deaccelerate the model. We boaters to not care so much about deacceleration so the lighter the better when it comes to acceleration. Gee forces are effected as you have less force on the acting surfaces on and in the water (i.e. turn fin)

Lighter is better.. but.. all other performance aspects of the boat can become hyper irregular. (meaning you better have your ^^^ together.. LOL)

Grim

P.S.
in altitude rocketry BOTH are important.. (A very sticky balance).. a fun game!

Back