ML Boatworks 1/8th Scale Newton 172 Extreme Prop Walk

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg,

Change out the tapered rudder and I bet it goes straight.
If the propeller is not thinned properly it could be part of
your problem as well. I would be happy to look at your
propeller if you would like.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Thank you and thank everyone. Ordering a straight rudder. In the mean time going to trim the rudder as suggested.

Jerry at Seaducer Boats.
Harry at Rossi sales (SpeedMaster hardware)
Sly Cat Racing in Canada.
With your prop blade at bottom dead center, how far below the blade does the rudder extend below the prop blade?
Thank you. It's 3 1/4" below the bottom blade of the prop. I've read where some people offset the strut slightly towards the left sponson. Is that recommended? The boat is sealed and not painted yet so a bit of surgery can be done. Would the motor mount, and stuffing box need to be realigned along with the strut?

Thank you. It's 3 1/4" below the bottom blade of the prop. I've read where some people offset the strut slightly towards the left sponson. Is that recommended? The boat is sealed and not painted yet so a bit of surgery can be done. Would the motor mount, and stuffing box need to be realigned along with the strut?
3.25" below the prop...
Cut that Thang off to about an 1.50" below

Cut the rudder down as suggested and the boat acted better, but it still walked to the right.. Added a bunch of left trim to the rudder and that helped some, but still walked to the right. Put the boat back on the build fixture and found that the turn fin was toed out. Corrected that by shimming the bracket to neutral. Ran the boat today. She tracks pretty well now and doesn't need much left rudder trim. Thinking about adding just a bit of toe in to the fin and see how that works.

Received the square rudder blade today. Hopefully that will make her run even better. Thank you all for the great advice. Will post some pictures in the morrow.

Cut the rudder down as suggested and the boat acted better, but it still walked to the right.. Added a bunch of left trim to the rudder and that helped some, but still walked to the right. Put the boat back on the build fixture and found that the turn fin was toed out. Corrected that by shimming the bracket to neutral. Ran the boat today. She tracks pretty well now and doesn't need much left rudder trim. Thinking about adding just a bit of toe in to the fin and see how that works.

Received the square rudder blade today. Hopefully that will make her run even better. Thank you all for the great advice. Will post some pictures in the morrow.
Good to hear your getting a handle on the set up on your boat. I've been running the 172 extreme all summer and it's runs great. Do you have any trouble on the launch? Mine plows a bunch before finally getting up and going. Seems like it's dragging the right sponson trying to get going.

Brent

Good to hear your getting a handle on the set up on your boat. I've been running the 172 extreme all summer and it's runs great. Do you have any trouble on the launch? Mine plows a bunch before finally getting up and going. Seems like it's dragging the right sponson trying to get going.

Brent
Hey Brent, thank you. Looked at a lot of the newer boats that were designed to troll and get up on plane quickly. Made changes to the underside of the sponsons during build and it pops right up. No water over the top at all. The boat isn't pretty yet, needs to have epoxy sealer sanded a bunch, then primed and painted.

Attachments

• 20240831_162422[1].jpg
    20240831_162422[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Here are some pictures of the rudder setup and turn fin as requested. New rudder being installed this weekend.

Attachments

• 20240831_145456.jpg
    20240831_145456.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240831_145516.jpg
    20240831_145516.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240831_145525.jpg
    20240831_145525.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240831_150016.jpg
    20240831_150016.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
That's not the front to rear angle you're running the turn fin at is it? If it is I suggest adjusting it so the bottom of the fin is parallel to your set up table.
Got it. Thank you. When moved to that angle any suggestions on how deep to set it? The mounting bracket has been drilled with a matrix of holes, so it can be moved up/down and left/right. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Got it. Thank you. When moved to that angle any suggestions on how deep to set it? The mounting bracket has been drilled with a matrix of holes, so it can be moved up/down and left/right. Your help is greatly appreciated.
2 1/2" to 3" should get it done. Since it's a straight blade angle in towards hull 7-10 degrees. Keep in mind the more angle the less tolerant the boat will be for left turn corrections.

Latest posts

Back