What About Turbo Glow Plugs?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hobbs

Legend of the NW
Vendor
Some people prefer turbo, cone-lock, glow plugs. Other people use only standard glow pugs. The question, of course is, where is the advantage?

For an engine to run at peak performance, there are several considerations.

First is the needle setting. The needle setting must be spot on for peak performance.

Second is the tuned pipe. You need the proper legnth and volume for peak performance.

Third is the hull. It needs to be set up for minimal drag at speed so the engine can perform.

Fourth is the prop. If your prop is too big, the engine can not reach peak performance. If it is too small the engine just winds and the boat doesn't go anywhere.

Of course fuel selection makes a big difference and setting the head space to get the most out of the fuel.

If, you have all the above items perfectly set, you can get an advantage using a turbo, cone-lock, glow plug. But, the performance gain is small in comparison.

Theoretically, the the cone lock glow plug improves the combustion chamber shape. But, how much does that improve engine performance?

Turbo plugs are a bit more expensive and you have to judge if the performance gain you can get is worth the extra price you pay.

Personally, I use both standard and turbo glow plugs. And, because I never have all the important areas set perfectly, I can see no performance gain using a turbo or standard glow plug. I just use either plug based upon the head button design that came with the engine.

Doesn’t using a cone lock plug involve using a different head button as well ? One designed specifically for a cone lock plug ?

I’ve never dove off into cone lock plugs just from what I have heard about requiring a different head button…

Just one more thing to go sideways when dialing in a motor…

yea ,not worth the money. i talked with andy a couple decades ago about it . its made to seal better , the small leak ur getting through the plug threads . so of course the smaller the engine the bigger the difference. he had told me he could get max 500rpm or so difference on a .21 and less as you go up in displacement . sooooo yea by the time u get to a .100 its almost non existent. also 500rpm is not on water noticeable on most setups unless u are doing time trials. thats not what most people do.
similar to using high nitro ,not worth it in a 100 but **** it wakes up a .21
but if ur looking for that last bit ,throw in some 75% and a turbo plug n let her rip ,,dont forget to prop up for the rpm u loose using super high nitro. but o no we already raised the ex timing to an ungodly number for that same reason . ok lets throw that engine in the only good for alone fun pile and start again lol nitro is fun

I do use turbo plugs in my K-21’s (and in the K-45 engines as soon as we get the heads in from the Ukraine). But as Al pointed out, everything else has to be optimized to see any real performance gain. Do i think it’s worth it, yes. If there is an opportunity to gain performance then I will use it, but I personally have never seen a real “on the water” gain in speed by just changing from standard to cone lock/turbo head button. I like the idea of better sealing and better chamber shape that the cone lock/turbo plugs create.
I think there is more performance to be gained by finding the right heat range for a particular set up and this is something I’ve been experimenting with lately but it’s been very hot and extremely humid here lately, so building is more enjoyable since the shop has A/C.

compare between turbo cone and std plugs but more shims for cone than less shims for std but depends on weather issues cold and rain no success run for turbo cone and if hurry replace new turbo cone onto the head inert then stuck through “ can damage thread “ before 45 seconds on pit time out

toward the end of my racing i ran turbo plugs.
one reason was more conistant seating of the plug. you can over tighten either or but with a standard washer type it is easier.
2. and for me more important. in case of a 45 seconds till the start ect ect if my plug was bad i don't have to search for washers. grab and go.

one thing to note. once you use a cone lock you cannot go back to standard plugs on that head as it seats the taper in the alum. so keep that in mind.

Back