warm spell in Indy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an office park Ron. Not public.. but it is pretty much a little spot on the map that people forgot about. The area is often full of trash, deeply rutted barely passable road, if you call it a road, muddy gravelly beach area to launch boats.. It's not very nice.... But it could be better. Plus it's 5 min from my house.

I don't really know about the arrangement between the property manager and club.. I'll find out though.

I figure I have a better start at making a good club and a decent place to run with what already there. Plus, people have bee nrunning boats there for 25 years... When I first started 10 years ago there were people there all the time... people in the area know about it and used to stop and watch boats alot.

Going back to page one, I have a question. As it looks, the water is in front of what sounds like a public building. Is this public or private property? If it is public, how can anyone from the Indy MBC keep you from running there?.

Boy, I feel lucky up here, two ponds and a lake within 2 miles of my house to run at! The lake is where we hold the Fun Run at and yes, it is a lake. Having a boat access ramp that sucks keeps full-sized boats to a minimum. We might see one big boat on the water at any time.

The water is high right now. At the Toxic Pond, the water is up over where we usually stand when driving, about 2 feet above normal. We've got snow coming in this weekend with rain right now turning to snow later tonight. The people in the Detroit area think that it's cool because they think that they should have some for the Superbowl.

I think I am just going to stay out of this one.As a member and officer of the club I have seen both sides to a point.I am a freind of Anthony and aslo a freind of bruce.I do know I was once a rookie in this club but I will back then there was more people in the club to deal with.I had a good time at the meeting myself.I think bruce and anthony can iron out the problems I would love to see my old club thrive again.As for the road to the launch site it has alway been crappy.seems like it is the main runoff for the water to get to the lake.He I have better options about a 10 min drive to about 6 ponds that I can use at any time but then again it just me. Not much fun by your self :(

Roy :ph34r:

Anthony,

Communication among all of us has obviously has been a short fall. All the previous posts about use of the pond is a liability issue and right to use with the property owners and association. Maybe a call to either Bruce (317-727-8769) or myself (812-988-9208) could have smoothed the waters before all the public bashing has happened. Bruce has worked very hard to keep the sight in good graces with all concerned. We would WELCOME new members and maybe we can get off to a better start if the communication is there. Bruce and myself have not raced or even practiced much the past two years. This year will be different. Maybe we can help you and you can help us.

It's too bad that the membership of the Indy club has dropped down to almost nothing. Whenever there was talk about the great clubs, Indy was always on the list. Who wouldn't love to see the club back up and at it again?

I'm not saying this about any club or boater in particular but any R/Cer should look back to see where they came from when a prospective member shows up at a meeting, practice site or a race. Nobody that I know of was born an ace boater, we all started somewhere and it might have been an embarrassing piece of work that happened to float.

I stopped my a nearby LHS today that I haven't been in to a few months. They are investing heavily into R/C boats right now with stacks of ZZR's, Reef Racers, Nitro Hammers and Hammers plus 2 of the new gas boats from Aquacraft (V-24?). They have my phone number in case any new boater needs a little help getting them going. I'm no pro but willing to offer any help that I can, better than no one to help at all the way a lot of us got our starts.

Get them involved in the club, get them signed up for whatever sanctioning body that you use. If they don't have a raceable boat, their extra help at a race comes in handy. Some will have more enthusiasm than money.

I've got a new Miss Bardahl from Phil, an OLD (1 of the first 3) sport 40s from Phil. My youngest boy is running a stock tunnel and a sport 20. We are going to hit all the bases in the trophy series. If your going to travel you might as well take a wad of boats right? That way, at least 1 may run good. I would run Illinois (i don't remember what dist) but there are too many 1 day races in Chicago .

Illinois, that is District 4

Come to the Minute Breaker Classic. Big 2 day race. Mendota, Ill

Larry Gempp Jr.

I've got a new Miss Bardahl from Phil, an OLD (1 of the first 3) sport 40s from Phil. My youngest boy is running a stock tunnel and a sport 20. We are going to hit all the bases in the trophy series. If your going to travel you might as well take a wad of boats right? That way, at least 1 may run good. I would run Illinois (i don't remember what dist) but there are too many 1 day races in Chicago .

Illinois, that is District 4

Come to the Minute Breaker Classic. Big 2 day race. Mendota, Ill

Larry Gempp Jr.

Is that the lake near Morris, IL??

I can show you exactly where mendota is, Wes, I raced there the last three years in a row, But Wes is right, all the one day, sunday races in the Chicago area make it difficult, if not impossible to run the point series in dist. 4. What Larry didnt mention to you is that due to the classes you and your son run, You would only be racing on Sunday, Saturday is hydros, monos, and offshore, Sunday is scale, sport boats, tunnels. Still a great race every year. Chuck and I run 20mono and 20 hydro on Sat, and sport 20, sport 40, and Scale on Sunday Ken

Wes

Mendota is about a 7 hr. drive for you. It is a real nice race sight. Looking forward to racing with you as I am in dist. 4 also. I run in the same classes sport 20, sport 40, and scale. I belong to the Marquette RC boat club. Our club is going to have the double points race in scale this year. You will have to try and make this race. Our pond is located right off of RT. 57 and RT. 80.

KEN

I can understand the need for the insurance through the IMPBA, I get that part...I heard the story of the dog and the kid. But from what I saw last year - and yes you were kind enough to let us use the lake - I never saw your club at the lake once, although I did see you and your wife there one day when me and Athony came to run for a few. How many members are there and how is it going to benefit me to pay you boat club fees if noone is ever there to help me out. I'm not much for calling peeps on the phone when I'm in need of stuff at the lake, I'd like to have other boaters around to help me out. Just seems like a waste to pay for dues when I'm very new to this and don't have the cash you guys do to run w/ the top of the line stuff - and I just got the feeling that your time isn't worth messing w/ the newbs who don't have the nice stuff. Just seems like a fee to get my boat wet despite having insurance by signing up w/ impba !!! Make it worth my time and money, and I'll gladly pay you dues and further myself in the hobby. If not, I'll just find another lake <_<
Whoever you are:

I was one of the original members of that club and we always welcomed new members who would contribute tot he good of the club. If I were Bruce, you would NOT be welcome to join the Indy Model Boat Club. Membership in that club and any other is by invitation. You do NOT have a right to belong and a right to run at their lake. If you only knew the amount of work that it takes to maintain the insurance, and all the other contact requirements with the owners, you would not have such an attitude.

I agree with you - go find another place to play. :angry:

Marty Davis

Guess I'm glad you're not Bruce.........and to further that note, thanks for reading that and not being able to see where I come from. I always appreciate grumpy old men trying to be a "Dick" about everything. Apparently you welcome nothing of the sort pal becuase you don't know me, let alone my intentions, concern, or respect for the club. If that's how you treat all newbs in the sport, than I'm **** glad you're not around and hope to never meet you in the future (regardless of how most others think of you) because you'll definately get a piece of mind and it won't be pretty !!!!!! Must be why the club is so small in the first place if you have to receive an invotation from people like you who don't appreciate someone trying to add to the club but wanting it to work both ways !!!!! Maybe I'd know all about the insurance troubles and club rules if they were explained in the first place rather than someone just saying pay or get out !!! I remember being at the first club meeting last year and trying to get all the info I could, which wasn't much. That and the club website lacks a little thing called updating and information. Congratulations on being the first person on this site to be a total ass to the new kid wanting to learn a thing or two.

Regards,

Mark T. :D

[Congratulations on being the first person on this site to be a total ass to the new kid wanting to learn a thing or two.

Regards,

Mark- OK, so we may not know you, but to say something like;

"I'm **** glad you're not around and hope to never meet you in the future (regardless of how most others think of you) because you'll definately get a piece of mind and it won't be pretty !!!!!!"

This is uncalled for. Your talking about someone who throughout his whole life has promoted the sport of model boating. Im not here to say Marty is right and your wrong, its that you didnt see the years and years Marty put in to that club and relentlessly rectifying their pond for good running. U may be new to this sport and we all love to help, but dont forget that nobody owes you anything. I mean come on, we are talking about Marty Davis here. Marty is to Indy, as Gary Preusse is to Chicago. When you put someone like that down, in almost a THREATENING way, not only are you going to be judged by them, but by the 100's if not 1000's of their freinds. Its Marty's opinion about something he worked for, and weather you like it or not, it holds more water than in my eyes than your opinion ever will. If you were a veteran racer and u met a newbie who needed help, im betting you would help them Mark T., but you would expect that newbie to be somewhat humble, not with an attitude such as yours. I just hope you know when and if you actually race, someone on here remembers your post, youll wonder why they may not be so humble to you. Marty Davis could probably care less if you have his respect Mark after what you said, but Marty, it only took me one heat (actually a run off) of B hydro against you at Lambs Farm about 8 years ago and you had my respect and always will.

Larry Gempp Jr.

OK what this comes down to is a pond that a club has gone to the trouble to get permission to run on by making shure that everybody that runs on it is either an IMPBA or NAMBA member. In order to do that all participants have to join said Club so that the President of the Club can at any time say, yes, So and so is a member and has the credentials and is insured under the agreement. Mark and all others, please join the club and when you have enough new members you can vote Bruce out and let anybody and everybody run boats there and loose the right to the pond. Then you will be back at square one and go find your own pond which is not easy. Believe me I've tried and it isn't easy.

My 2 cents.

Ya'll please stop bickering and build a club. ;)

OK what this comes down to is a pond that a club has gone to the trouble to get permission to run on by making shure that everybody that runs on it is either an IMPBA or NAMBA member. In order to do that all participants have to join said Club so that the President of the Club can at any time say, yes, So and so is a member and has the credentials and is insured under the agreement. Mark and all others, please join the club and when you have enough new members you can vote Bruce out and let anybody and everybody run boats there and loose the right to the pond. Then you will be back at square one and go find your own pond which is not easy. Believe me I've tried and it isn't easy.

My 2 cents.

Ya'll please stop bickering and build a club. ;)

This is commical, I'm pass the point you guys keep bringing up - actually I was planning on getting my membership and paying bruce dues to run @ the lake, and it's also nice to see the the newb is always wrong and you guys just seem to be right in every case. I'm glad that I'm the only one w/ the attitude and everyone else coming towards me w/ some sort of a bitter opinion doesn't have an attitude. Quit thinking I think it's stupid to pay dues in any case, because you're wrong.....I just want help if I'm going to be joining the club just for the fact to run, I mean realistically, if I'm in a club that expects me to pay them for the facility and whatnot, I expect help @ the pond - ****, is it that hard to understand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Congratulations on being the first person on this site to be a total ass to the new kid wanting to learn a thing or two.

Regards,

Mark- OK, so we may not know you, but to say something like;

"I'm **** glad you're not around and hope to never meet you in the future (regardless of how most others think of you) because you'll definately get a piece of mind and it won't be pretty !!!!!!"

This is uncalled for. Your talking about someone who throughout his whole life has promoted the sport of model boating. Im not here to say Marty is right and your wrong, its that you didnt see the years and years Marty put in to that club and relentlessly rectifying their pond for good running. U may be new to this sport and we all love to help, but dont forget that nobody owes you anything. I mean come on, we are talking about Marty Davis here. Marty is to Indy, as Gary Preusse is to Chicago. When you put someone like that down, in almost a THREATENING way, not only are you going to be judged by them, but by the 100's if not 1000's of their freinds. Its Marty's opinion about something he worked for, and weather you like it or not, it holds more water than in my eyes than your opinion ever will. If you were a veteran racer and u met a newbie who needed help, im betting you would help them Mark T., but you would expect that newbie to be somewhat humble, not with an attitude such as yours. I just hope you know when and if you actually race, someone on here remembers your post, youll wonder why they may not be so humble to you. Marty Davis could probably care less if you have his respect Mark after what you said, but Marty, it only took me one heat (actually a run off) of B hydro against you at Lambs Farm about 8 years ago and you had my respect and always will.

Larry Gempp Jr.

So it's ok for him to put me down when I had an opinion in the first place that didn't directly involve him ??? :unsure:

Calm down Mark. It has nothing to do with you being a newb. Maybe if you joined and a few of your buds did the same, some oldtimers would come out and mend the fences that have been put up through this keyboard and help you out. They might not come out at this time because they like people to run with too. I can see that there is a communication problem here but that can't be worked out unless you are a member of the club that has the rights to that pond. I love your enthusiasim and your willingness to express your feelings! Just redirect it a little bit and you can have a great club going up there in the next few years!! You have no say in the matter unless you and others join this Club and change things as far as pond upkeep and access and Internet exposure. The base for a club is there. Join up and make it a Great Club Again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I think it is Time for a !Time Out!

just my 2 cents here

If you want to run at the said pond you need to be a member of the IMBC.Okay so I think maybe all partys need to get togeter and see what you can do for each other and what each other can bring to the club.Anthony seemed to have good ideas on cleaning up the launch site area Bruce has the retreive boat I know cuz I sold it to him when I moved from Indy,Stu has a ton of knowledge,and Mark you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm.Seems to me that seems to be the making of a good club.

I hope I didnt make anyone mad here as I know most all partys involved and make me :( the see all the bashing

But that just me

Roy :ph34r:

OK, let's all take a time out before non repairable damage gets done. This thread is wasting time bashing people who don't know each other. so since this misunderstanding about rules and membership started between Anthony and I, I'm offering that we set a time to meet and discuss this among ourselves. I don't feel I have to explain myself to anybody, but, I was out of active boating for along time and upon my return the club was moving south, so Marty gave me the keys to the club with the understanding I would continue to uphold the Indy name and I have given it my best, thru trials and errors I have pulled off hosting and being CD of 5 Masters races and managed to capture a US-1 in E hydro my 2nd year back. This could not have happened without help from my racing partner Stu and the support of my wife and many others. The comerodery we share at the pond is unequaled, but we are there to race and we want to win. I have made many friends along the way and pissed off a couple too, Stu and I do all we can to help anyone that we can, that can be vouched for by many. Some people you just can't help. So again, before you Mark offend someone that we hope you didn't mean to lets iron this out so we can get back to bench racing or reading info on posts on why 1 bearing is better than another and why. OK. So Anthony give me a call any day after 5pm and we will set this up.

Lets call this topic a dead horse. Our caption Mr Tom has been very busy and should not have to step in on this and with the last few posts I see we are in good shape.

Please and thank you from the MOD SQUAD

Tom M and Grim

I'm tired of this stuff. I'm in a bad mood. heck i'm on a roll. Have some time off mr. nitro :angry: take 10 days off. 2nd person this year! only about the 4th time ever in what 7-8 years?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back