Stick radio's vs Pistol radio's.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Duggan

Anyone out there made the switch from using pistol type transmitters, to 2 stick radio's and if so any regrets? Pro's / cons?

I've heard of cases of going from sticks to pistol successfully but not cases of the other way around.

The reason for this post;

I'm currently using an aging JR R1 transmitter and feel it's time for an upgrade. I want to switch to the now well proven FASST system & I'm trying to decide on going with either a Futaba 3PKS, 4PK or 3VCS.I have been using pistol radio's since I was about 10 years old, and while I can use sticks occasionally (like when I did r/c car repairs when I worked in a LHS) I've never raced r/c boats with a stick set. I don't fly Heli or planes so that doesn't play a factor for me at all. Is it possible to reprogram the brain after 27 or so years, or just stick with a pistol set?

All comments welcome.

I started out boat racing in the late 80's with a Futaba Attack radio. Used it for years. Then make the switch to a wheel radio, and used it for years. I've used the 3pdf and I really like my 3pj with a 2.4 module in it. I now use a 3vcs and I love it. BUT it is all about what you are comfortable with. Use what you know and don't fix what's not broke.

BB

Last edited by a moderator:
Listen to the Bird. If you're familiar with the wheel style radio, don't throw a wrench in the gears now. The boat you save could by your own ;)

A wheel radio is the one with the pistol grip and steering wheel on the side instead of the twin sticks like an airplane style radio

Hello everybody .

Tim , when I started playing RC Boats in the late 1980's there wasn't many Wheel radio's available . I started with a Attack 2 channel stick radio and later heard that it was possible to graft in a external knob for the 3rd. channel mixture . Later I had a Hitec 3 channel Wheel radio . After that I got a Futaba Attack 4 channel Stick radio and used it with grear success on both Nitro and Petrol boats . A few years back I bought a s / hand JR R1 756 Radio with several new Receivers that I still use . The best part about the R 756 for me is that the bulk of the weight of the transmitter rests in the palm of your hand as you operate it . The JR R1 is not much different in the way that you hold it compared to the R 756 . Hopefully I will be able to attend on coming Sunday at Penrith .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

I've had a few transmitters over the years since the early 80's for racing, all "pistols". The orginial Futaba Magnum "senior" - the one where you could spin the whole top around for left handers, A JR ALPINA Beat 2, A Kraft (can't remember model - same case as KO EX1), A KO EX1, A KO EX5, A Futaba Magnum 3pdf? I think it's called, A JR XR3, then finally the JR R1.

FWIW, Tim

I've got both types;

Futaba 2 channel wheel TX and new 3-channel FASST stick tx (surface models version). I used them both on the weekend and I'd say steering is equivalent in both if you've used them enough to program yourself. Where I think the wheel has real advantages is in throttle control. It seems like a more useful interface to me, especially when you've got a cantankerous nitro engine that needs to be blipped a bit.

I have to say, even though it's off topic, the FASST system with diversity receiver is "tits". Great, great system over water.

Cheers

dang,,,, ko pro po.... havnt heard that in years...had one when i was a tyke...lol...always loved pistol grip radios...stick is no different,,,push the stick right,, boat goes right....

alden

Tim,

I use a pistol for my tunnel boats and a two stick on my hydro’s.

Hydroplane racing is all about boat speed management and a two stick does a better job of this.

Tunnels are speed management as well but also, dodge, tuck and lift. I pistol work better in that case.

Having said this (not that anybody gives a rats hinder).. I NEVER run WFO in a race regardless of what boat im running. I have found that if you are WFO you are likely not paying attention to your entry points on the course and can make way to many driving errors.

Futaba 4PK

Futaba 3VG

Grim

I have both. Like mike said for hydros, a stick radio is my favorite.

For guys I would think that sticks would feel more natural.....is that where the term, Joy Stick, came from?

Charles

A wheel radio is the one with the pistol grip and steering wheel on the side instead of the twin sticks like an airplane style radio
Oh, thanks.

Was wondering what those guys were up to, didn't see a slot car track for miles but it looked like that's what they were doing... :huh:

Here's my current "controller":

Module_026.jpg

I've been doing a lot of EP flying the last couple of years. I decided to try using one of my 2.4 stick radios in my 20 Sport Hydro.

Talk about "Teaching an old dog, new tricks." My cornering was terrible. It was me, not the radio. Went back to my wheel tx. Just my experience.

JD

Oh, thanks.

Was wondering what those guys were up to, didn't see a slot car track for miles but it looked like that's what they were doing... :huh:

Module_026.jpg
too funny TK!

Oh, thanks.

Module_026.jpg
I LOVE THOSE....!!! i shoulda got one back in the day...i wish Futaba would go retro and bring some of thier metal cased transmitters back with todays electronics... ive got a bunch of the brown metal cased 2 channel stick and wheel radios....loved em! Plastic transmitters feel like toys to me....i use both stick and wheel transmitters...i can drive like crap with either! :D

Thank you for all of the comments so far.

I like the suggestion about staying with the pistol grip radio for the tunnels (where rapid throttle control is very important) and using sticks for the hydro's to better manage the 3rd channel. A friend of mine suggested buying a cheap stick radio and giving it a try (during a test session, not racing) and get a feel for it. I must admit I'm a little concerned about trusting my riggers - that take many, many hours of work to build to a cheap radio at 70mph+. Also a little concerned that some of the aircraft 2.4 sets may have issues with being close to water etc. - is that a problem or a myth? I'm thinking Range shouldn't be an issue though if it's OK for aircraft.

I like to dial out a lot of the left turn on my riggers (but not all of it) so that if I have a brainfart and dial in too much left with a rigger that it doesn't result in a blow over. Is this possible on the stick radio's?

Thanks,

Tim

Oh, thanks.

Module_026.jpg
I LOVE THOSE....!!! i shoulda got one back in the day...i wish Futaba would go retro and bring some of thier metal cased transmitters back with todays electronics... ive got a bunch of the brown metal cased 2 channel stick and wheel radios....loved em! Plastic transmitters feel like toys to me....i use both stick and wheel transmitters...i can drive like crap with either! :D
Wad 'em up and throw them away Bill !!! Time to move on and stop polishing the foggy past !! All the adjustability of the 3 PK and the like is very nice ..i sucessfully made the transition to the wheel years ago and love it !! Whatever works for the individual is good , Race boats period , radios serve no purpose on the shelf like my airplane radios that all need new Nicads !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back