Sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed.R

Quick picture of a new Sport 20 I'm in the middle of building.From Dave Frank plans.Making a cowl for the first time .Planning to just lay up on the foam not making a plug/mold thing yet.I'll wait to try it later on.

Ed

IMG_2754.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick picture of a new Sport 20 I'm in the middle of building.From Dave Frank plans.Making a cowl for the first time .Planning to just lay up on the foam not making a plug/mold thing yet.I'll wait to try it later on.

Ed

IMG_2754.jpg
Hi Ed,

Great looking boat! Just a quick suggestion, I recommend covering the foam buck with balsa or basswood strips and re-sanding to final shape before glassing. Your cowl has sharp corners and edges making it easy to overlay with wood strips. Once you have glassed over the wood you can disolve the foam underneath with acetone and have an open cowl for better cooling. I have tried just glassing over the foam and it is not as rigid as using the wood overlay. You won't be sorry you took the extra time to do it, the difference in strength is amazing. Try glassing over the foam on a test piece and you'll see what I mean. Take care,

Scott

Thanks for the compliments guys and info.Nice talking to you Ray.

Scott your cowl pics were a great source for follow through .

Ed

Nice looking boat and cowl. I looked into that UltraCal about a year ago. It is expensive... And had to buy it in large bulk. They supplied to auto co's here. Not for what I needed. Friend of mine is a modeler he spoke highly of it. I would have liked to experiment with it too. Wish I would have seen that website before. Not bad price for smaller qty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back