Sport 20 build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone,

the plan...build a wood sport 20 using off the shelf RTR parts. Might go like stink, might just stink. The boat is the 73-74 U-81 Red Man Too and it is scaled up from Garry Finlay 1/16 plans. If anyone is interested I will be updating the pictures in http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=5566&do=view_album&album=818 Enjoy,

Scott
Hi Scott,

I like the way you make the cowl. Did you skin the foam with balsa?

Thanks,

Kez

Yes, I skinned the foam with balsa after the foam was shaped. Then I sanded the balsa to final shape, next will be glass cloth and epoxy resin over the entire cowling.

Wow great build i really like the hull. Good idea with the belly pan too. That thing will scream with a 21. mid 50's before you even find the best prop...

How do you make the cowling like that, do you just use 2D pictures then cross setion certain spots then just shape and sand the balsa,
Yep, that's exactly how I do it. Add a layer of glass cloth and 2 coats of epoxy and you're done. just fake it until you make it.

So how do you know which pieces or places that you use the cross section on the profile . Do you use newton plans to get the setions? And after you build it and fiberglass it can you take the wood out and have just the fiberglass mold. Im trying to figure the way to use newton plans to make cowlings.

So how do you know which pieces or places that you use the cross section on the profile . Do you use newton plans to get the setions? And after you build it and fiberglass it can you take the wood out and have just the fiberglass mold. Im trying to figure the way to use newton plans to make cowlings.
If you have Newton plans of the boat you want to build I believe they provide you with detailed 3 view drawings to make a cowling. My hull was drawn by Garry Finlay as the 77 Atlas, so I had to create the Red Man Too cowling from scratch. I used posterboard for mock up and kept cutting shapes until I got what I wanted. I've found that removing or omitting the wood greatly decreases the strength of the cowling and I wouldn't recommend it. Good luck, have fun.

Thats COOL! I LOVE to see sombebody build a sport hydro with an open cockpit! Something other than enclosed cockpits and/or turbine stacks....cant wait to see it all painted up and finished! Nice job!

Hey Everyone, it's been a long time since I've worked on this boat, and I finally got it painted. Updated pics are in my gallery. The base is KlassKote gloss white, Red and Green are Rustoleum rattle cans, and after applying the decals I will clear it with Imron. If anyone has a good source for a 1/12 scale driver I would appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Hey Everyone, it's been a long time since I've worked on this boat, and I finally got it painted. Updated pics are in my gallery. The base is KlassKote gloss white, Red and Green are Rustoleum rattle cans, and after applying the decals I will clear it with Imron. If anyone has a good source for a 1/12 scale driver I would appreciate the info.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Hi Scott,

Very nicely done. Keep us updated with more pictures and running shots.

I manage to do a cowl for a sport 40 by following your technique.

As for drivers, I use the William Bros pilots. You will find a size that look right on your boat.

kez

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Hi Scott,

Very nicely done. Keep us updated with more pictures and running shots.

I manage to do a cowl for a sport 40 by following your technique.

As for drivers, I use the William Bros pilots. You will find a size that look right on your boat.

kez

Thanks Kez,

More pics coming soon.

I have a bunch of Garry Finday's plans saved on my PC. I built a 8 cell electric version of the '69 Notre Dame U-7 and I was very surprised at how strong & light it was....They are very well designed and should work out very well for a .12 - .21 hydro depends on what you want....

I have sized up some plans of his 1980 Pay N' Pak turbine for a 30" sport 20 build. Unfortunately all my projects are on hold till I get working again.... :(

I have a bunch of Garry Finday's plans saved on my PC. I built a 8 cell electric version of the '69 Notre Dame U-7 and I was very surprised at how strong & light it was....They are very well designed and should work out very well for a .12 - .21 hydro depends on what you want....

I have sized up some plans of his 1980 Pay N' Pak turbine for a 30" sport 20 build. Unfortunately all my projects are on hold till I get working again.... :(
Hey Ron, I built on of Mr. Finlay's 1/16 scale 8 cell boats too. It was easy to build and is fun to run. Got the Redman cleared today, pics to come.

Attachments

• SS850364.JPG
    SS850364.JPG
    935 KB · Views: 0
  • SS850405.JPG
    SS850405.JPG
    922 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back