Scale Turn fins

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn 787

Trying to find a good turn fin for a 1/8 scale hydroplane.

I have a CD Machine on mine now but found it keeps bending from the load put on it the turns. Bought a Hughes but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

What are you guys using on yours?

Glen, I use a dps designed turn fin. It is made out of 5 layers of 24oz 6x6 twill Carbon fiber. The fin comes out @.070 TO .080 and is made in a press at about 20,000 psi in a die mold. I have used the same fin for 3 year and still fits the die perfect. Doug

Last edited:
Hi Glenn,

I use a Virginia Craftsman sport 40 skid on mine and wouldn't use anything else. He makes a scale one that's a bit larger but the 40 size holds tight for me.

Paul.

Believe it or not I actually machined my first one that is on my Exide myself. I took the shape from one that I had seen on another boat. I traced it and milled it on a buddy's mill with 1/8" 6061 stock. Belt sanded the edges smooth and polished it and the thing is flawless it crackes me up how low-tech it was. I have since had some different ones custom machined since then but I've never taken it off the boat. Now maybe if I can get my motor issues fixed..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug, what are you charging for those turn fins?
Dicks turn fins are second to none its all i use.....Mike
Same question for Doug.....how much for one of those?

Does anybody have a spare Tyndall fin they want to sell?

Russell how's the Squire Shop coming along? That fin looks simular (thin) to the one I'm using....do you know the material he's using? Mine is folding backward at the bracket.

Glen 787,

I can make you a turn fin for your Scale boat. All of the turn fins I make are made from 2024-T3 bare aluminum. The turn fins I make for Scale, Sport Gas and Sport 40 are made from .090 thick material. Sport 20 fins are made using .060 thick material. They are bent in a form with an Arbor Press so that I can duplicate the bend in each fin. Email me at "[email protected]" if you would like more information.

Thanks,

Dick

Doug, what are you charging for those turn fins?
Dicks turn fins are second to none its all i use.....Mike
Same question for Doug.....how much for one of those?

Does anybody have a spare Tyndall fin they want to sell?

Russell how's the Squire Shop coming along? That fin looks simular (thin) to the one I'm using....do you know the material he's using? Mine is folding backward at the bracket.
Glenn, I just finished with the base coat of white about an hour ago. Will start to tape off for the other colors tomorrow. Getting close!!!

My Carbon fiber fins are $35.00 plus shipping.I make a run about once a month. Thanks for asking Doug/DPS Racing hulls.

Glenn,

The Dick Tyndall hardware is sweet. You should call Roy and see if he has nay of Peter's work around.

Turns out I have one of Dick's turn fins....came with the scale I got from Atteberry. Ordered another one. Haven't been able to get ahold of Roy in over a month.

My Carbon fiber fins are $35.00 plus shipping.I make a run about once a month. Thanks for asking Doug/DPS Racing hulls.
Doug, do have a picture of you turn fin available?

Glen, I use a dps designed turn fin. It is made out of 5 layers of 24oz 6x6 twill Carbon fiber. The fin comes out @.070 TO .080 and is made in a press at about 20,000 psi in a die mold. I have used the same fin for 3 year and still fits the die perfect. Doug
Doug,

Do you have a picture of your scale turn fin?

I'm continuing to have problems in this area.

Glenn

Doug,

Glenn
Yes, I will post one, What kind of problem are you having? Maybe it is not the fin!

Doug,

Glenn
Glenn, email me at "[email protected]". Let's see if we can help you with your problem.

Dick

Yes, I will post one, What kind of problem are you having? Maybe it is not the fin!
Just started, whenever I make a correction left the left sponson lifts....not a little, a lot. Managed to blow it off the water at least 4 times. That's 4 more then I have the past 1 1/2 yrs. I did make a prop change and it was going faster but this was happening even when I was off it a little.

I didn't get a chance to go back to my old fin to verify it was the problem. I plan on going back out next Sunday to try a few more things after I fix all the damage.....what a mess :(

Glenn, email me at "[email protected]". Let's see if we can help you with your problem.

Dick
Thanks Dick.....you've got mail (more detailed).

Glen

Do you have any tork weight up in the left sponson? All sport boats need the weight to keep it on a even keel. I would guess you would need 10-12 oz or so. Depending on the weight of the boat. Since you said you changed the prop and are getting more speed out of it, this amplifies that you don't have enough weight in the left sponson.

Mike

Glenn,

you know me. I am a card table boater. I have seen the Tyndall fins and I will say that they are first rate. I have not had a chance to see the DPS fin but knowing Doug, I would think that they are first rate also.

I have Mike Hughes turn fins on my picklefork boats. Why from Mike? Cuz its Mike and I have known him for a long time.

There may be other problems with the way I set my boats up (I told you that I was a card table boater), but if I have left sponson lift, I just clockwise rotate the fin so that it raises the right sponson which keeps the left one down.

I will probably get beat up for this concept but all I can say is that it is working for me (at least on my boats speeds).

Thanks,

Al Waters

Been conversing with Dick T. on ideas and solutions. He's been a great help and really stands behind what he sells! The two problems we're looking at might be to much bend and maybe to deep.

With my bracket being screwed in the side of the sponson I can't rotate it but I can drill extra holes in the fin to raise it.

Back