Radio Question????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockflyer

I was wondering, I have a 9CAP Super and it is PCM/FM and I know it is for Air. If I convert it to 2.4GHz can it be used for air and surface? or is there a difference between the air and surface 2.4?

Thanks

Joe

Yes, if you convert it to 2.4 it can be used for air and surface. There are a couple differences. First, you'll have to use compatible receivers, the typical 3 channel FASST receivers won't work a transmitter with so many channels. Also, the battery voltage failsafe on the plane receivers is setup for 4 cell batteries while the surface FASST receiver battery failsafe voltage is set for 5 cells.

Also, the battery voltage failsafe on the plane receivers is setup for 4 cell batteries while the surface FASST receiver battery failsafe voltage is set for 5 cells.
I need to confirm this, but it is my understanding that the battery failsafe voltage for all Futaba systems is around 3.8 volts.

Also, the battery voltage failsafe on the plane receivers is setup for 4 cell batteries while the surface FASST receiver battery failsafe voltage is set for 5 cells.
I need to confirm this, but it is my understanding that the battery failsafe voltage for all Futaba systems is around 3.8 volts.
Confirm away. The R603FF and R603FS require 6 volt batteries. Waiting until a 5 cell battery pack went down to 3.8 volts would sorta be a problem. The manual for the 3PK FASST module and R603FS receiver lists the battery failsafe voltage cutoff as 4.75 volts.

I saw references to being able to set the voltage for the R604FS, but I didn't look into the details.

I happened across additional failsafe subtleties.

The the 6 and 7 channel systems only have one failsafe channel, the throttle. I think there are additional failsafe channels in the higher channel systems, but since I wasn't looking at them I didn't check.

The transmitters in the 6 and 7 channel systems also broadcast failsafe information on a periodic basis, meaning you don't have to do anything special once you've got failsafe setup in the transmitter. I think the same is true for the 8 and 14 channel FASST modules, but again, I didn't check the details. Contrast this to having to push a button on the back of the transmitter when using the R603FF and R603FS in PPM mode, which is required if you use non-digital servos.

Well like I said I was not 100%. My 3PM manual does not mention a cutoff voltage. And ALL FASST systems are recommended for 6 volts. I know that the 6EX through 14 MZ FASST system uses 3.8 volts. In fact it has been documented that the FASST receivers will not actually reset until 3 volts or so. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back