Radio discussion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched to ProTek Life packs a few years ago and never looked back - zero issues. You can charge them and let them sit for 6 months with very little drain.

With the 1600 mah rx packs I can run all day and only use 3-400 mah with digital servos. And no voltage regulators!

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=life&fb=209
Yes, I like ProTek, too....also haven't had any issues with Hobby King Turnigy for Tx and Zippy for Rx.

Was a bit difficult getting LiFe packs for a while because of all that China/US political trade bs.

To me LIFE has changed the game in on board RX power.

They "sit well" ,VERY LITTLE self discharging.
Good capacity for the weight
About as safe as we are going to get from a "modern" battery for now

NEVER USE ONE IN ANYTHING!!!! with a rating of LESS THEN 5C. Yes.. there are 1 and 2 C packs out there.

Make sure you have a charger that tackles this task. LOTS to chose from.

Once you switch or start using them.. you would have a VERY hard time turning back.

Grim
100% Grim. I’ve been using them for 4 years and some of the packs I have are that old. I see no signs that the batteries have experienced any wear. They don’t form a memory either. I top them off before a day of running but have gone out two weekends in a row without topping off on one or two occasions. I don’t recommend doing it, but saw no difference in performance. Unbelievable batteries.

100% Grim. I’ve been using them for 4 years and some of the packs I have are that old. I see no signs that the batteries have experienced any wear. They don’t form a memory either. I top them off before a day of running but have gone out two weekends in a row without topping off on one or two occasions. I don’t recommend doing it, but saw no difference in performance. Unbelievable batteries.
Some of my LIFE packs are now 13 years old.. still going strong.. CRAZY!

We have great luck with the mg chemicals conformal coating on our receivers. haven't had a glitch even when swamped with water.
I’ve been doing silicone conformal coating as well on my Futaba R134sbs receivers. I apply with a micro applicator (I got a whole bunch of these applicators on Amazon for like 5.00). I don’t coat the pins or antenna plugs. The stuff dries in like 10 min and I do 3 coats and put everything back together. I started with one and carefully checked range etc at the lake before sending the boat out. No issues at all.
I’ve seen guys use this stuff and then drop a receiver into a glass of water with no issues.

I’ve been doing silicone conformal coating as well on my Futaba R134sbs receivers. I apply with a micro applicator (I got a whole bunch of these applicators on Amazon for like 5.00). I don’t coat the pins or antenna plugs. The stuff dries in like 10 min and I do 3 coats and put everything back together. I started with one and carefully checked range etc at the lake before sending the boat out. No issues at all.
I’ve seen guys use this stuff and then drop a receiver into a glass of water with no issues.
Rich, do you have a link or picture of what you are using? I looked online and MG sells several types, including spray, acrylic, epoxy, silicone…. Just trying to clarify what type you are using.. thanks!

Rich, do you have a link or picture of what you are using? I looked online and MG sells several types, including spray, acrylic, epoxy, silicone…. Just trying to clarify what type you are using.. thanks!
Yes Frank, here’s the link from what I ordered last Oct. https://a.co/d/b933jUf

Yikes the price went up like 50%. The plus side is you could probably do 1000 receivers with this bottle. A little goes a long way.

I use the spray . it goes super far it seems. just 2 coats both sides of the board. I tape over the pins with masking tape then pull it off once dry and reassemble in the case.
The mg is basically clear nail polish I think. at least that's what it smells and feels like. I even spray it on the bind button and it doesn't hurt anything

C = charge rate?
C is the acceptable amount of discharge of the battery. Basically a higher C rating you can pull more amps with out causing damage to the cell. So if you had a servo lock up and pull some large current, you can damage the cells that have low C ratings. If large enough, can go instant failure. IE on fire. So a 500mah 5C cell is good for 2.5 amps. Now I will say that I dont believe some of the C ratings that battery have. Since at a 100C of a 5000mah battery, it should be good 500amps. I do not believe it. Mike Sabroski testing says they are less than listed. When you do a 30C on same battery your looking at 150 amps

Latest posts

Back