Paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using Endura for years, very similar to Imron but half the price. Paint all my boats with it, even did my trailer, my mill and even my basement floors. Check out the chemical resistance:

http://www.endura.ca/why_choose.htm

Nothing touches this stuff. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"we have tried ppg and a few others with no success..

chris

What type of primer did you use for your base under the paint & were you shooting basecoat/clearcoat auto paint?
Don,

It was ppg concepts.. it was same as the paint.. I would need to look and see if we still have it.

not sure on the numbers.. we shot it and let it cure for about a week.. 80 degree weather

still peeled..

chris

I still haven't seen what primer was used, if you use LACQUER primer with the system that Don mentioned

it's gunna peel like tree bark 90% of the time.

PPG paints are PROVEN SUCCESSFUL systems, Have been for MANY years.

Don,

I have seen multiple boats painted with klass cote and none have peeled.. not say it can't but it is a epoxy based paint.. it SHOULD hold up better than auto motive...

any how. we have tried ppg and a few others with no success..

I do no alot of people that use automotive paint.. I just like the other better.

chris
What type of primer did you use for your base under the paint & were you shooting basecoat/clearcoat auto paint?
Don,

It was ppg concepts.. it was same as the paint.. I would need to look and see if we still have it.

not sure on the numbers.. we shot it and let it cure for about a week.. 80 degree weather

still peeled..

we also tryed just using a powder pigment with the clear on the boats for color then cleared over that and it still peeled..

chris
Chris,

I use PPG on everything I paint. Clear is Omni MC260,MTK for the colors. I have NEVER had it peel,check or crack I'm wondering if the guys having these problems are all using West systems to seal? I don't use that product to seal, just a thought.

Ron Jr

........... I'm wondering if the guys having these problems are all using West systems to seal? I don't use that product to seal, just a thought.
West Systems is typically all I use when sealing wood, although my last SAW tub was sealed only with PPG 2021 clear on the outside surfaces then polished. B)

i had a paint job by one of the "pros" on this group peal off on the bottom where the drain hole is on my crapshooter. boat was bare wood when he got it.this was the third and last time i will use auto paint. klasscoat is my current choice. it's bulletproof and you don't have to buy it by the gallon,which i have to do for auto paint here in the armpit of the nation, where i live

i had a paint job by one of the "pros" on this group peal off on the bottom where the drain hole is on my crapshooter. boat was bare wood when he got it.this was the third and last time i will use auto paint. klasscoat is my current choice. it's bulletproof and you don't have to buy it by the gallon,which i have to do for auto paint here in the armpit of the nation, where i live

Mr Wood,

Just trying to find the root cause,very odd.

Ron Jr

Mr Wood,

Just trying to find the root cause,very odd.

Ron Jr
LMAO ron you know it don't take much to get him fired up lol.....

jerry,

I don't know what paint # it was.. not sure if we still even have it..

chris

i had a paint job by one of the "pros" on this group peal off on the bottom where the drain hole is on my crapshooter. boat was bare wood when he got it............... and you don't have to buy it by the gallon,which i have to do for auto paint here................
Interesting that the "drain hole" comes up. All too many times I've seen people drill the drain holes after the boat gets painted & a short time later the paint's coming off around the hole. Gee, I wonder why? I always make sure every last hole is drilled before the boat even gets sealed let alone painted. I'm not saying this was the case here but a point worth mentioning nonetheless. A trick I like to use on drilled holes is to hit it with thin CA before applying the West Systems epoxy sealer. The thin CA will wick well into the exposed endgrain much better than epoxy will.

By the gallon? **** Steve well THAT sucks!! Guess I've been lucky so far.......

Just as another data point for the PPG Omni AE (acrylic enamel) and Omni AU (Acrylic urethane)

I use either devcon 2-ton epoxy (30 minute hobby epoxy) or Minwax sanding sealer on the raw wood then sand to a 320 grit finish. Clean the boat wood with mineral spirits just before spraying. Spray a light mist coat that barely tints the wood. I also spray a similar coat on a scrap piece. Let that sit for about 15 minutes until the scrap piece starts getting sticky then spray a slightly heavier coat on the boat then the scrap piece, then 15 minutes after that spray until the finish is glossy wet. not too much or it will run.

With my driving skills I don't bother with a clear coat. I just buff the boat out with Meguiers cleaner wax (top only) and sand the sponson bottoms with 220 and its ready to rumble and looks good.

I've never had trouble with peeling at the radiobox anywhere else or fuel damage with this method.

I am by no streatch of imigination a skilled painter and needed something that was simple with the least oppertunity for me to mess it up with the spray gun.

Total costs for paint was $55 for 2 colors of paint (metallic plum and flame yellow), reducer and hardner. This was enough to paint about 10 boats.

Just as another data point for the PPG Omni AE (acrylic enamel) and Omni AU (Acrylic urethane)

I use either devcon 2-ton epoxy (30 minute hobby epoxy) or Minwax sanding sealer on the raw wood then sand to a 320 grit finish. Clean the boat wood with mineral spirits just before spraying. Spray a light mist coat that barely tints the wood. I also spray a similar coat on a scrap piece. Let that sit for about 15 minutes until the scrap piece starts getting sticky then spray a slightly heavier coat on the boat then the scrap piece, then 15 minutes after that spray until the finish is glossy wet. not too much or it will run.

With my driving skills I don't bother with a clear coat. I just buff the boat out with Meguiers cleaner wax (top only) and sand the sponson bottoms with 220 and its ready to rumble and looks good.

I've never had trouble with peeling at the radiobox anywhere else or fuel damage with this method.

I am by no streatch of imigination a skilled painter and needed something that was simple with the least oppertunity for me to mess it up with the spray gun.

Total costs for paint was $55 for 2 colors of paint (metallic plum and flame yellow), reducer and hardner. This was enough to paint about 10 boats.
Yep, me too. Firm believer in the Omni. Bout half the price of the Concept and is, IMO, just as good. Iv'e used the concept and it is a great paint, but the Omni will perform.

It even held up to Jeff's freebie tape. :lol:

Don you sound like the safety guy here at Hendricks motor sports !One thing you didnt mention is time costraints on painting ,dont adhere to them and i dont care which paint you use eventually its comin off.DON I think the counterpart you speak of is actually a production clear by the same name I use apperence clear for my boats and all custom work i do it has the highest percentage of ultraviolet protectors of all clears except House of Kolor we do offer a lifetime guarantee against yellowing and in 8 years using it ive never repainted a car for yellowing.if you never excede a flash time by more than 10 minutes and all your prep work was properly done most all upper guality paints you guys mention should work in just my own opinion one of those lines were crossed in the painting of the boat in question it happens alot ,a phone call a malfuncion in the gun could be lots of things acting as a distraction at that perticular time ,but flash times and prep work is what its all about.By no means do i mean any disrespect to anyone but a top painter probally turns in about 300 hours in a weeks time.Usually takes me 1 day to paint a boat and 2 weeks to find time.Iam sure most all of you could do an excellent job with good prep and a timex and a fuel resistant clear of course.Dont be so hard on auto paint its a billion dollar industry.

I use ppg 2021 over west systems and have'nt had a problem.I have painted 20 boat with this system.For the color I use house of kolors.

Dave Roach

I want to thank ever body for all the suggestings.

but i bought klass kote.

i have painted a few boats with hoby epxy , had probems

they seemed to fade.

i will be painting my boat next wk.

again thanks for all the help.

Joe

posted by Joe,

i have painted a few boats with hoby epxy , had probems
they seemed to fade.
Klass Kote, of course, is an epoxy paint as well. I'm sure it will be extremely durable, though.

I always caution people about epoxy clear paint. This stuff will yellow! If you're just using it in the engine compartment or maybe even to seal wood in the inside of the hull, great. However, if you use it to cover your nice brightly colored paint job, look out. Just spraying it on and letting it cure will provide yellowing like 20 years of time! This happened to me with Hobby Poxy clear and completely ruined it.

For me now, I dropped the coin for PPG Omni ;) !

the old trick in using the Hobby Poxy AND K&B epoxy paints was to add 3 drops of the medium blue to the part "A" clear, mix it all up and shoot it.

perfect clear everytime. and lasted for years without yellowing.

carl

Don turned me on to PPG Concept years ago. If I can do what little prep I do, paint, and assemble in the same day then anybody should be able to. I use no clear and the paint has never peeled, flaked, or bubbled. Probably 12+ boats.

The Chroma I had sprayed one time would leave color on a white rag when wiped.

P.S.

Most people use way too much West Sytems. Epoxy is mainly a filler in my case. Paint will seal just fine. Probably better since every West boat I have seen had streaks running through it. I could write a big long story about the myth that epoxy goes deeper and seals better. Instead, and if you want to believe it, then go scratch that epoxy finish and stick under water.

Cuda you will be happy with the Klass Kote i use to be a Firm believer in Imron paint till i tried Klass Kote.

Back