Paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuda66

Hi

Can some 1 tell what is a good automotive paint for finishing Boat.

i have a base/clear coat paint now i used on car , will these handle Nitro on it.

any help would be great.

Joe

Don't bother with automotive paint.

A guy in our club just yesterday for the first time ran his BRAND NEW EAGLE SGX, with the custom SPEEDWAGON paint job.. it is already peeling off..in the motor area.. running 60 percent fuel.

if you want paint that is hard as a rock. won't peel and last's go to http://www.klasskote.com/

cheaper than automotive paint and looks great.

chris

Talk about a dissapointed fellow paying that much for a ready to run boat to have the paint pealling off. :angry:

:rolleyes: PPG & House of Color urathanes are both good paints.
ppg recomends 3 coats of clear to be 100% nito proof. i use omni wichm is made by ppg adn it works fine and the paint underneith doesnt matter. some rattle can painst will fade or change colors on you when they are in the sun but not to bad.....Scott

:rolleyes: PPG & House of Color urathanes are both good paints.
ppg recomends 3 coats of clear to be 100% nito proof. i use omni wichm is made by ppg adn it works fine and the paint underneith doesnt matter. some rattle can painst will fade or change colors on you when they are in the sun but not to bad.....Scott

I vote for Omni as well. Low cost and works. I do not do the inside of my fuel/engine compartment with it. I use epoxy in those areas. Paint everywhere else. I can't say that I've had any problems with paint sticking or getting attacked by 40 - 60% nitro.

Clean the boat after a days running and wipe up any obvious spills and the paint will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

i have a base/clear coat paint now i used on car , will these handle Nitro on it.

any help would be great.

Joe
Dupont Chromapremier is posibbly the best clear on the market,and at 2 coats for maximum protection a little lighter on the scale.I do use house of color under coats because of the color range they have.House of kolor clear is hard for most novice to use because its a little thin. I do use it on stricly show cars but i use the dupont on wantabe show cars simply for its excellent durabilty and the fact that there hittin the road every day.I paint most of the hummingbirds that leave Jims shop and he uses 70% he actually poured the fuel on the test panel and left it there until he was satisfied.Iam not knockin the other paints but Jeff Gordons car is covered with this same paint and we all know he s dont mind rubbin your car.

Hi

any help would be great.

Joe
Dupont Chromapremier is posibbly the best clear on the market,and at 2 coats for maximum protection a little lighter on the scale.I do use house of color under coats because of the color range they have.House of kolor clear is hard for most novice to use because its a little thin. I do use it on stricly show cars but i use the dupont on wantabe show cars simply for its excellent durabilty and the fact that there hittin the road every day.I paint most of the hummingbirds that leave Jims shop and he uses 70% he actually poured the fuel on the test panel and left it there until he was satisfied.Iam not knockin the other paints but Jeff Gordons car is covered with this same paint and we all know he s dont mind rubbin your car.

chroma premiere is my favorite clear also.i am now spraying basf,ya spray whatever is free.house of color undercoats are for people who know what they are doing or have supervision.it is still a laquer based base coat but its called a urethane...never mind.if you use hoc count how many coats of every product you use ie sealer,base,midcoat,and you should match it.i have been around the block and iykan1 speaks the truth dupont clear rocks.instead of house of color i would go with hot hues from dupont.

A guy in our club just yesterday for the first time ran his BRAND NEW EAGLE SGX, with the custom SPEEDWAGON paint job.. it is already peeling off..in the motor area.. running 60 percent fuel.

if you want paint that is hard as a rock. won't peel and last's go to http://www.klasskote.com/

chris
Did the boat run?

chris
Properly prepared & applied acrylic urethanes are bulletproof, stronger than Klasskote with far more color choices. Don't make such an erroneous across the board statement about automotive paints as there are many choices, some good & some not so good. If the paint peeled either the prep work was poor or a non catalyzing paint was used. I have been using PPG Concept acrylic urethanes for years with zero problems from fuel exposure.

two things

one the boat ran yes..

that is not the point. the boat was a ready to run with a nice paint ( not taking away from the paint roger it looked great ) put it still peeled

no offence don, but that is my opinion.. I had a boat painted by a supposed TOP NOTCH painter. first time we ran it. it peeled.. if we would have paid for this paint job it would have been 300.00

you can't tell me if you would have paid that much for a paint job and it peeled you wouldn't mad MAD??

we have tried automotive paint. didn't hold up. that is my statement

as usual you can't speak your opinion on hear..

chris

as usual you can't speak your opinion on hear..
Opinions are one thing but you're coming across like all automotive paint is no good & will peel. Like I said there are different types of automotive paints so your generic statement of forget automotive paint is misleading. I agree with you, I'd be mad too but there are a number of things that will cause paint to peel, Klasskote included.

Once we were out of K&B paint, we went to various automotives(PPG). We even had Chip Gannasi's shop paint with the best Indy Car paint and found that it did not hold up. I agree with Chris Wood on his recommendation about Klasskote. Used it this year and found it to spray better than others and it is bullet proof.

Don,

I have seen multiple boats painted with klass cote and none have peeled.. not say it can't but it is a epoxy based paint.. it SHOULD hold up better than auto motive...

any how. we have tried ppg and a few others with no success..

I do no alot of people that use automotive paint.. I just like the other better.

chris

Don,

I have seen multiple boats painted with klass cote and none have peeled.. not say it can't but it is a epoxy based paint.. it SHOULD hold up better than auto motive...

I do no alot of people that use automotive paint.. I just like the other better.

chris
What type of primer did you use for your base under the paint & were you shooting basecoat/clearcoat auto paint?

Don,

chris
What type of primer did you use for your base under the paint & were you shooting basecoat/clearcoat auto paint?
Don,

It was ppg concepts.. it was same as the paint.. I would need to look and see if we still have it.

not sure on the numbers.. we shot it and let it cure for about a week.. 80 degree weather

still peeled..

we also tryed just using a powder pigment with the clear on the boats for color then cleared over that and it still peeled..

chris

Don,

It was ppg concepts.. it was same as the paint.. I would need to look and see if we still have it.

not sure on the numbers.. we shot it and let it cure for about a week.. 80 degree weather

still peeled..

we also tryed just using a powder pigment with the clear on the boats for color then cleared over that and it still peeled..

chris
Now there are different types of the Concept series & I use the 2 part catalyzing DCC colors, not basecoat/clearcoat. Also a paint job is only as good as it's foundation & I only use PPG DPLF epoxy primer for my base primer. B)

Boy this could go on forever.Don is absolutly right what ever he uses works just fine ive seen his boats up close and running if those big blocks dont knock it off it aint comin off!Sounds like Sky has done some painting,but the truth is you dont really need a sealer on wood boats not automotive sealer anyway .You can seal your wood boat with epoxy inside and out,that takes care of the inside , sand the out side epoxy with 220 then switch to a white primer,i use white for 2 reasons 1 nothings going to adhere to epoxy but primer 2 the white serves as the base coat for any color you might want to use (use a flex agent in your primer if your going to paint the bottom of your tub or its going to hairline crack,if your just painting your sponsons no need.)If f you plan your paint scheme out you shouldnt have to use the mid coat its main use is for intricant art work and tapeouts.And like Don sez prep is everything..Also id like to know too did the boat run or what I thought those paint schemes were pretty slick? PS most paint manufacz offer a life time guarantee slighty shorter for radio control boats so in 2040 when Don s lookin at his huge ?????? that purple an white twin should still be lookin good..LOL. :lol:

Yup, we could go on for pages about this but the bottom line is a paint job is only as good as the prep work & it's foundation. In ANY high quality paint job the proper prep work is essential, cut corners here & you pay dearly. I would suspect in the aforementioned cases of automotive paint peeling one of three things occurred- the surface was not properly prepped, the wrong primer was used, or the wrong type of top coat was chosen (non catalyzing). Once your hull is truly "ready for paint", start off by wet sanding with 400 grade paper & thoroughly cleaning with a good prep solution (like PPG DX330) to remove all the contaminants including oils from you touching surfaces. BTW- from the final prep sanding & cleaning stage onward you should always wear non powdered latex gloves to protect both the surface to be painted from contamination & your skin from absorbing chemicals. Once surface is properly cleaned the next step is the most important part & the heart of proper adhesion of top coats- your primer. In our situations your primer needs to be an epoxy base, I use PPG DP401LF white epoxy primer & this is flat out the toughest epoxy primer I have found (any pinhole filling or other minor imperfections needs to be done prior to this stage as this stuff is a #@*%! to sand). This primer requires both a 5 minute mechanical aggitation (or thorough stirring for 5 minutes) & a 30 minute induction time before you shoot it. NOTE- a strong caution here- YOU MUST WEAR ADEQUATE RESPIRATORY PROTECTION AND SPRAY IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!!! Any catalyzing paints, ESPECIALLY epoxies sprayed without proper protection can catalyze in your lungs and KILL YOU!! A very high quality 2 stage respirator & eye protection is a minimum!!! After you have completed priming & drying times the next is your colors, here's another important part- what type of paint are you choosing? I use only Concept DCC single stage acrylic urethanes for most of my boats (some 1/8th scale colors are unique). This paint on it's own requires no clear & will easily withstand exposure to very high nitro (this is the same stuff they paint the nitro drag cars & commercial jet planes with). If you try to use basecoat colors like DBU or DBC they MUST be topcoated with at least 2, preferrably 3 coats of a catalyzing clear like PPG Concept 2021 or it will not hold up to nitro!! I will only use a basecoat color when I can't get that color in single stage (like the HOK purple pearl metallic on my Smokin' Joe's scale). The PPG 2021 clear is one of the best clears I've shot & unlike it's Dupont counterpart it will not yellow with age. Keep in mind if you do use any basecoat/clearcoat type of paint care must be taken not to scratch through the clearcoat when assembling or running the boat. If the clearcoat is compromised you expose the basecoat to the fuels, it is not fuelproof whatsoever & will come off! It is for this reason if you insist on a basecoat/clearcoat combination that I strongly recommend you do not paint the areas inside the engine & fuel tank, only clearcoat these places. B)

Nothing against Klasskote as I here it's good paint but you have a limited selection of basic colors. Now if you find one of their colors you like, it can be had in smaller quanties which is a plus if you're only shooting one boat. :)

And to those who had issues with automotive paints please take no offense but the bottom line is if it peeled you either did something wrong in preparation/application or chose the wrong grade of paint and/or primer. :ph34r:

Back