Nova marine ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The DLC is WAY different then the Nikasil. Nikasil is a nickel composite layer with silicon carbide particles impregnated for added hardness, increased durability, and superior lubrication. It is used in racing dirt bikes and is very tuff. Not sure if it has been used in the very small bore nitro motors. I expect there is nobody with the hardware to do this plating, not saying it could NOT be done...

KTM dirt bikes have this and it very good.

Paul
the OS 21 OB is Nikasil i believe.

Grim

Grim
I was gonna mention that the OS outboard has a Nikasil coated sleeve. The 2 stroke Mercury Racing outboards used Nikasil from 1998 and up until the 4 strokes took over. The coating is so hard that Mercury recommended replacing the piston rings every 100 to 150 hours. And the gold titanium nitrate rings are expensive. Today they retail for over $700 a set.

Grim
Grim i do not think the OS outboard has a Nikasil plating. Nikasil is a patented plating from the german factory Mahle, which was developed in comparison with Daimler Benz. This plating is made for surface of aluminium cylinders. The OS sleeve is made of brass, it is covered with a nickel surface. No silicium here and that is why the OS outboard sleeves do not last so long ( my thinking).

Grim i do not think the OS outboard has a Nikasil plating. Nikasil is a patented plating from the german factory Mahle, which was developed in comparison with Daimler Benz. This plating is made for surface of aluminium cylinders. The OS sleeve is made of brass, it is covered with a nickel surface. No silicium here and that is why the OS outboard sleeves do not last so long ( my thinking).
Yes I am pretty sure there is only dirt bikes that have the Nikasil plating, that is what it was made for I would guess. I recall reading there was some interest in small bore motors and doing Nikasil but in the end the volume of motors was not worth the cost to build the tools to make that happen. Well maybe there is new interest in this...

Here in Ulm (Germay) we had 12 OS outboards Gen1 (with watercooling). We had lots of problems with the liners, the Nickel plating near the top dead center of the piston came off! They were replaced by Graupner (german distributor) till the outboard Gen2 arrived.
Joachim

I have never had one go bad.. I have ran them so much I have split the case between the bearings.. but never had a liner go bad.

GALLONS OF FUEL.. LOL..

I have bought used motors that have had bad liners.. and replaced them but not sure how that happen.. I have never had one go bad?

Grim

We haven't had very good luck with them lasting very long either. I know Grim seems to make them last. Maybe something to do with the oil in the fuel. I use Technology fuel.

Latest posts

Back