Nova marine ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What seems to be the biggest problem with these motors ?
Materials?
Timings?
Machining quality?
All of the above?

Seems like Nova would reach out to their customer base and ask, “what can we do better “?

Any new company has growing pains, it’s how they handle the situation that counts, no company is going to succeed and survive without making improvements where it needs to be done.

Well like Alan discussed earlier, he spent a bunch of money for them to produce parts. All of which went to the round file. Unusable. They are not Novarossi and will never be. They are just trying to put lipstick on that pig and sell it to some boaters. That motor looks like the car motor with a water jacket. I will be staying away.
Mike

Last edited:
I have a friend that raced rc cars for years and all he would run was Nova Rossi engine.We talked about two weeks ago and Mike said he would never touch the junk that lay are making today.

Some pics I found of a modified engine.
If you have the Nova Rossi flywheel kit for sg crank you can convert.
I will give one a try why not.
The engine I believe is powerful,,however I have read that machining was not the best in the first batch of engines ,however I believe they have improved.
Whatever the case I will be giving them a go.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1721444906723.jpg
    FB_IMG_1721444906723.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1721444899562.jpg
    FB_IMG_1721444899562.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1721444877273.jpg
    FB_IMG_1721444877273.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Some pics I found of a modified engine.
If you have the Nova Rossi flywheel kit for sg crank you can convert.
I will give one a try why not.
The engine I believe is powerful,,however I have read that machining was not the best in the first batch of engines ,however I believe they have improved.
Whatever the case I will be giving them a go.
looks pretty nice

Keeps the piston cooled on the exhaust side with air/fuel from below. Over heating this are can cause the piston to expand a bit an add drag. Most cooling I have seen is via holes and channels cut into the sleeve. This is the first I've seen with a big window. Interesting mod.
That's factory porting. There is a port in the case that matches the port in the sleeve. I came up with that when the K 90's came out. They had very little taper in the sleeve and were easy to stick on the exhaust side. I cut a 0.010" saw cut about 3/16" below the exhaust port and also drill four holes in the slit. I would then use a ball nose endmill to make channels from the holes to the bottom of the sleeve on the outside of the sleeve.
What this did was every time the piston came down for the crankcase compression cycle it would force cool fuel up the port and the fuel would cool the exhaust side of the piston.

I heard that some racing motorcycles are using a coating called nica sil directly on the aluminum bores. Same stuff? Don't know anything more than that as to how it's applied or if it would be workable in our engines.
The DLC is WAY different then the Nikasil. Nikasil is a nickel composite layer with silicon carbide particles impregnated for added hardness, increased durability, and superior lubrication. It is used in racing dirt bikes and is very tuff. Not sure if it has been used in the very small bore nitro motors. I expect there is nobody with the hardware to do this plating, not saying it could NOT be done...

KTM dirt bikes have this and it very good.

Paul

The DLC is WAY different then the Nikasil. Nikasil is a nickel composite layer with silicon carbide particles impregnated for added hardness, increased durability, and superior lubrication. It is used in racing dirt bikes and is very tuff. Not sure if it has been used in the very small bore nitro motors. I expect there is nobody with the hardware to do this plating, not saying it could NOT be done...

KTM dirt bikes have this and it very good.

Paul
The BZM cylinders are Nikasil plated. Very nice stuff. They do a lot of pocket bike race motors so it’s nice to have the flow down to the RC engines. (They also use the GP exhaust builders for the RC tuned pipes!)
DLC seems to be more suited for bearing surfaces. Also good stuff in the correct application.

nova had 3 port 5 port 7 port 9 port port here port there ext.. the WHOLE SUCCESS in that motor was the piston material and liner fitment. period we ran nova for MANY MANY years won multiple us-1
s about every other race you could win. the key to them was piston to sleeve fit and material. anyone that remembers knows they were so tight you could break a rod trying to break them in.

hopefully someone figures it out. like picco great motors.. rods JUNK.

Doc,

Too much taper in the piston and sleeve fit from the
factory. Jim Wilson always refitted all my Novarossi
Piston & Sleeves. The real problem is they are not
very round in the first place. It takes a lot of work to
get them really round.

Just Saying,

Mark

Doc,

get them really round.

Just

Doc,

get them really round.

Just Saying,

Mark
Not many lap their own engines these days ..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back