Motor Mounts - tried to add / no luck

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall Fella

Hello everybody .

Kevin , It's the Tall Fella from Australia here . I tried to add to your post and for some reason was unable to . If some of the Administrators can move it over that would be good .Quite some time ago i sent by snail mail to some members in America a collection of pictures of how the boat that I am working on is setup in regards to the engine mounts . The work was actually done by a previous owner.In this group there should be Bill Gibson , Rick Bellinger and Bob Johnson and possibly some others ~ ? . I am working on a 1982 / 83 Executone style boat and the motor needed to be as far forward as possible . How the engine mount system was done is that a piece of ply ~ 3 / 8 "thick , 9.5 " long and ~ 6" wide was shaped to the floor of this fibreglass boat with a cutout / bellypan to get the Octura cradle insert as low as possible . The Octura cradle was bolted to 2 strips of bent aluminium bar - 19 X 6 mm to give the desired angle on the motor / flexshaft and had a hole for some Lord / Octura engine mount rubbers near each end - 6 " centres standing vertically on the reinforced floor of the boat . By having this reiforcement ply in place the heads of the screws to the Lord / Octura mounts became flush or just below the surface of the floor . Hopefully this helps with your enquiries about how the engine mount system is installed in my boat .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tall Fella, yeah, I think what I'm going to do is similar, I'm actually going to take some strips of nylatron(high strength nylon) machine an angle in each strip to act as a cradle for an Octura Omni Mount and then both ends of the nylatron will be secured to the hull by way of 1/2" rubber mounts bolted from the bottom.......with my angle and depth of drive shaft I have 3/8" clearance at bottom of crankcase near the carb and the largest part of the flywheel which is in front of the pulley groove is only 1/8" off the hull bottom.....so I'm as low as I can go, but with my angle of attack on my sponsons I need a very low CG or I go over

Kevin

You could have gotten the engine lower with the Octura mount without a lot of work.

I had a Phil Thomas Sport 40 but had problems with the Speedmaster motor mount so I then went with the Octura. The wheels got to turning and figured that if Speedmaster can make a mount without the channel under the motor, why can't I cut off the channel on the Octura? Well, I did. The aluminum is kind of soft and a hacksaw with the mount in a vise made quick work of removing the excess weight. I did that only after getting the mount drilled and tapped.

Latest posts

Back