Liner Squeezers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a wheel from a tubing cutter mounted into a bar that I put in the lathe tool holder. I Have soft collets that I hold the piston with in the lathe chuck. Zero the wheel against the piston and carefully dial in the amount of diameter increase that I want and spin the piston. Works good. :) :) :)

Norm,

The only problem I have with using a tubing cutter is that if you don't get it perfectly straight, you can end up with a spiral and a totaly screwed up piston.

I do exactly what Charles just described. I made up a little tool that holds a tubing cutter wheel and mounts in a tool holder on a lathe. I then hold the piston in a collet, crown side out, making sure to hold it VERY lightly. Turning the piston pretty slow, I make a groove just above the existing oil groove and then file it back down. I have an extremely fine file that almost has a grit to it instead of a cut (#0000 cut, I think). After I'm done, I have a very smooth ring at the top of the piston that fits like new.

I'll try to get a pic of the tool in my gallery.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

In relation to the device Rod is desribing (I think) I would like to see something that didn't have rollers

coming behind the cutting wheel crushing what was just made.

Easy way would be to machine a groove in each roller in line with the cutter wheel.

Ive thought of trying to fit a small teflon ring into a piston, that would give a perfect seal, but it would ony last about 2 revolutions getting cut up by the ports. :(

I use this instead of sqeezing the liner,,it's much safer and you can give the piston this treatment

several times.

DAMMIT!!!! another secret in the spit pot. :lol: :lol:

While were talking about postion seals, a highly respected boater once told me the cut the piston oil ring in a lathe so the profile looked like an upside down "7" (in a few thousandth in at the botom and tapered to flush at the top.)

The idea is that oil will collect on that sharp bottom edge when the piston is on the upstroke and act like a liquid O-ring.

I haven't had a chance to try this yet. Anyone try this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use this instead of sqeezing the liner,,it's much safer and you can give the piston this treatment

several times.

DAMMIT!!!! another secret in the spit pot. :lol: :lol:

While were talking about postion seals, a highly respected boater once told me the cut the piston oil ring in a lathe so the profile looked like an upside down "7" (in a few thousandth in at the botom and tapered to flush at the top.)

The idea is that oil will collect on that sharp bottom edge when the piston is on the upstroke and act like a liquid O-ring.

I haven't had a chance to try this yet. Anyone try this?
Dan,That is the way my oil ring cutting tool is ground.............Does it work?I don't have a clue but it sure doesn't seem to hurt and it is a great subject for bench racin'. ;) :D

Rod Geraghty

[QUOTE='Dan_Cousin]I haven't had a chance to try this yet. Anyone try this?
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE='Rod_Geraghty]That is the way my oil ring cutting tool is ground.............Does it work?
[/QUOTE]
On my CMB piston I'm doing that ....... same tool as Rod I think ...earlyer as CMB was doing that themselves :lol:

I clean up and add more depth to the original one ,

and just on the border of the "shiny" top at the crown I make a new one .

And yes ......... it shure helps to extend the piston/liner life.

All really great info., but the liner sqeezers, you can use at the pond , and be back

in the action in a minute, THATS WHAT I LIKE!!!

All really great info., but the liner sqeezers, you can use at the pond , and be back

Just get an old worn out piston & sleeve,re-size it,and leave it in your toolbox.

You will be back in action even quicker and you will be able to re-size it over and over again. ;)

Just get an old worn out piston & sleeve,re-size it,and leave it in your toolbox.

You will be back in action even quicker and you will be able to re-size it over and over again. ;)
With a rod hanging off of the piston so you don't have to play fight the clip. :eek:

With a rod hanging off of the piston so you don't have to play fight the clip. :eek:

try that with an RS style motor. you'll be cussin up a storm!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Details,...

So I get my pipe cutter and somehow cut a groove in the rollers opposite the cutting wheel if possible. I place my piston in the cutter and close it till the cutter just touches the piston. Then turn just enough to have some friction, turn the piston using the rod.

How much deformation am I looking for. Maybe just enough to see it? A couple thou? Should I then take a little maybe 2000 grip paper and soften the edge incase it made a high spot? Should I lap the piston in the sleeve a bit before putting it back together.. This seems to make MUCH more sense than squeezing the sleeve.

Thanks

[QUOTE='Norm Doerr]Design a tool for removing and installing "Jesus" clips ;)
[/QUOTE]For CMB :

Out is not a issue , little screwdriver and pliers/tweezer.

(and a ground screwdriver to turn the clip if necessary.)

Getting them in :

5mm rod 70mm long with 4mm@M5

2 Brass tubes slide fitting into eachother.

Outertube : 7 x 8 x 56mm ... taper one end @ 20º for 2mm (to fit the pistonpin'hole')

Innertube : 7 x 5 x 67mm .. cut back one end to 5,7mm x 1mm ( to take the clip)

Put clip into outertube ... slide in innertube (doing that on a piece of wood)

Put rod on pistonpin ... slide tube-combo over it ... tap with teflonhammer on innertube ... ready.

Will make pictures of these tools and put them in the gallery later on.

Made them ... they are in my gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy,.. I think I better get to designing a cheap, simple tool to do this piston fix...
Design a tool for removing and installing "Jesus" clips ;)
Many years ago I have designed an excelent tool for instaling "Jesus" clips for most engines but very few people were interested in spending $7-$8. Have whole bunch for .21 engines that will soon go in a trash can.

Many years ago I have designed an excelent tool for instaling "Jesus" clips for most engines but very few people were interested in spending $7-$8. Have whole bunch for .21 engines that will soon go in a trash can.
Hey Frank, I got one of those from ya to fit a 16.6mm piston and it worked great

for my TT pistons. Some of the motors I'm using now have the 16.2+mm pistons,

do you have any tools for those? I'll buy one of each if they are different,, I haven't

tried the one I have on the smaller pistons yet,, may fit too.

JW

Hey Frank, I got one of those from ya to fit a 16.6mm piston and it worked great

for my TT pistons. Some of the motors I'm using now have the 16.2+mm pistons,

do you have any tools for those? I'll buy one of each if they are different,, I haven't

tried the one I have on the smaller pistons yet,, may fit too.

JW
Jerry,it will work with no problem on 16.2 piston.

Latest posts

Back