Elec. Hydro HELP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOM MOORE

Guys im thinking of doing a outrrigger hydro, it will be on the size of the .12 firefighter but i want to do in electric, im new to electrics in boats, any ideas as to what size motor, ESC, Battery lipos or nimh? any web sites i can look at for help.

Any help would be appreciated. And i want FAST.

Thanks Tom

Look here and see if it helps a bit... that is a great start.

LOOK HERE

Guys im thinking of doing a outrrigger hydro, it will be on the size of the .12 firefighter but i want to do in electric, im new to electrics in boats, any ideas as to what size motor, ESC, Battery lipos or nimh? any web sites i can look at for help.Any help would be appreciated. And i want FAST.

Thanks Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys im thinking of doing a outrrigger hydro, it will be on the size of the .12 firefighter but i want to do in electric, im new to electrics in boats, any ideas as to what size motor, ESC, Battery lipos or nimh? any web sites i can look at for help.Any help would be appreciated. And i want FAST.

Thanks Tom
Tom,

How much space do you have in the hull? Give us some dimensions and we thow you some ideas. What do you want to spend?

Tom is coming to the "Dark Side" ;)

Are you thinking about modding your current design or using what you have already? If you could move the sponson tubes you can get the Lipo packs between the tubes and have them lay nice and flat in the hull. What are the dimensions of the .12 hull?

Firefighter .12 is about the size of our 19-turn spec riggers, an N-2 hydro of yesteryear when we used brushed motors..

I'd again recommend a car .05 sized brushless motor from Novak, Tekin, Castle etc. and a marine speedo.. on 2s lipo

Anything more will grossly overpower it..

Our club runs an N2-Spec Hydro class, that used to be based on 19T brushed motors... We've since switched to using an AMMO 36-40-3900KV Brushless motor on 2S1P Lipos...

Check out my video links in my signature to see them in action... I think I have a clip them up there entitled "N2-Spec Hydro Test". This is the first run for this boat... it got considerably faster by the end of the day once Brian got the prop and setup closer to correct... They are fast, reliable, and easy to deal with... The motors are inexpensive ($30.00), need almost no maintenance, and go like the dickens... We use 80-amp or so ESCs and 2S1P Lipo packs... Mine uses a 3300mah 20C pack.

The 19T motors were OK, but there was a WIDE variance in performance from one motor to the next, because these brushed motors take some expertise to really get working well, and it takes some time to get them right. With the Brushless, the playing field was leveled for power, and it became more of a driving and boat design contest, which seems to be more fun for most in our club...

What prop makes the ammo motor work on 2s? It sounds cool..
Bill,

I've been using a tweaked Y535 lately... I'm not sure what Brian is using... Might be the Grim 36x55 prop with some tweaking... We're still kind of playing with some things... I'll try to get some footage of them racing...

What prop makes the ammo motor work on 2s? It sounds cool..
Bill,

I've been using a tweaked Y535 lately... I'm not sure what Brian is using... Might be the Grim 36x55 prop with some tweaking... We're still kind of playing with some things... I'll try to get some footage of them racing...
Good times..

Yeah those grimracer props really kinda' slid into slots where they were needed on the prop chart..

Zabrowski did a good job..

What do you want to spend?
This is "FE Speak" for how fast do you want to go.
The rigger im going to build overall about 26-28" long. tub is 3" wide Ive been into nitro for awhile now and i would just like to see how much speed i can get out of this rigger. Ive never tryed elec. in a boat so im pretty much a rookie at this hydro. Do you have to use a waterproof motor, esc, do you use lipos for power. Ive never seen a hydro of any kind the set up i mean, Im from the southeast IMPBA district 5 not much elec. going on here. I no the brushless motors put out some power, Ive been flying elec helis for awhile. And ive seen a electric mono run with the monos in the gas class. I was impressed with the speed of the boat. As far as speed gos I would like to see mid 50s or mabey even 60 mph. Thanks for the replies, one last thing where can you purchase the things i need to build this boat. Motor, waterproof esc, wiredrive, ect.

Thanks Tom

Below is a record-setting rigger that is similar to the size of yours. I will give you the typical layout of a boat of this kind. While the one in the photo uses NiMH power, you can put the LiPo cells in the same place, probably moving the motor forward to keep the correct CG. This tub is wider than yours, you may be limited to 2S LiPo packs. That voltage is lower, but a 50 mph 2S rigger is not that tough to build. It seem sto me that the size of your tub will be the limiting factor in determining how much power you can use.

All top-end FE boats are built to be completely waterproof, they do not use a radio box since all the equipment needs to be kept dry. This means a tape-down hatch that can stay on in a crash. Again, not that though to do.

There are several places on-line to purchase FE equipment, one of my favorites is www.offshoreelectrics.com . Please check with several different experienced FE boaters before you purchase your equipment, there are a lot of posters who have no idea what they are talking about, and post count means nothing. Good luck with the project!

2krlsj.jpg

Tom,

We're seeing low to mid 50's with our P-spec riggers up here in the PNW. Aquacraft SV-27 or ProBoat BlackJack 26 motor and ESC (cheap <$170), 4S1P LiPos (4100+mah 25C cells) and an M645 for a starting prop. I've got this combo in my N2 rigger and it consistantly will GPS at 53-54mph. More speed is possible with a purpose built boat. This boat was really designed to to run 65mph+ with an expensive power system (~$500 motor/esc). I run .150 cable in mine, a wire drive would be good too.

The Aquacraft and Proboat power systems are both available from www.offshoreelectrics.com, as well as all the hardware you'll need.

The rigger im going to build overall about 26-28" long. tub is 3" wide
Tom,

That sounds about the same size as the SV27 powered riggers we've been running that Brian talked about in a post above... Here is a link to one of the heats of these running:

Nice "bang for the buck" with these... which has gotten several more guys excited about building them for next season... I'm in the process of building one for myself right now... in between making lots and lots of posts... ;)

What do you want to spend?
This is "FE Speak" for how fast do you want to go.
The rigger im going to build overall about 26-28" long. tub is 3" wide Ive been into nitro for awhile now and i would just like to see how much speed i can get out of this rigger. Ive never tryed elec. in a boat so im pretty much a rookie at this hydro. Do you have to use a waterproof motor, esc, do you use lipos for power. Ive never seen a hydro of any kind the set up i mean, Im from the southeast IMPBA district 5 not much elec. going on here. I no the brushless motors put out some power, Ive been flying elec helis for awhile. And ive seen a electric mono run with the monos in the gas class. I was impressed with the speed of the boat. As far as speed gos I would like to see mid 50s or mabey even 60 mph. Thanks for the replies, one last thing where can you purchase the things i need to build this boat. Motor, waterproof esc, wiredrive, ect.

Thanks Tom

The rigger im going to build overall about 26-28" long. tub is 3" wide Ive been into nitro for awhile now and i would just like to see how much speed i can get out of this rigger."

If you want to really push this little rigger to as fast as it can reasonably go, I recommend the Tekin, or Novak line of sensor based motors which work excellent on sensorless controllers

With winds 6.5 to 2.5 you will be capable of speeds ranging from 55-70mph with props ranging from an octura X-432 down to an x-427

Within that range of winds, I'm sure you'll find that hull's limit on 2s ;)

A few more bux than an sv or blackjack motor, but you can run right into your local hobby shop and get one and they'll propell your rigger MUCH faster..

They also offer a great range of tuning options and replacement parts such as rotors, endbells, and bearings readily available at your LHS

Bottom line: As mighty as they may be.. SV 27 and Blackjack powerplants are CHEAP SPEED, plenty bang for your buck, but you'll be stuck in the 48-55 mph zone and were designed as "kit-boat" or "stock" motors.. The price and the fact that they come in kit-boats says it all..

I have nothing against them, I actually held the fastest laptime at the 2008 nationals in LSH with an sv27 motor but

The motors I recommend are performance based full race upgrade motors that put out absolutely WICKED rpms that are nearly unmatchable for their size

Latest posts

Back