Autobailer: yes or no

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrUnlimited

What do you think guys? Don, Phil? I am currentle rebuidling my T5 hull and ran an autobailer in the back but I am not very statisfied with this.. Do you guys use one?

I still use an Aeromarine autobailer in the back of my scale boats exiting through the transom. I remove the metal mesh screen that comes on the inside end of the bailer. B)

I still use an Aeromarine autobailer in the back of my scale boats exiting through the transom. I remove the metal mesh screen that comes on the inside end of the bailer. B)
Never had much luck with them,if your getting that much water in the engine bay you have other problems. I drill a hole in each front front sponson near the tip inside,this way you can stand the boat on end after each heat and drain the water out. This does this with the fuel lines hooked up and no fuel comes out. My two cents

"Never had much luck with them,if your getting that much water in the engine bay you have other problems."

Guess you've never driven through someone's roostertail taking the dive for the inside lane when the boat your tailing can't hold the corner. That big forward facing scoop on most late model turbine style hulls can swallow a whole bunch of water in a hurry. :blink:

i don't race hydros, but i have seen a lot of boats sink, from the drains you mention, mike......... i'm just not a big fan of open holes in the hull of any boat. do you plug them? tape doesn't always seem to stay on, imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't race hydros, but i have seen a lot of boats sink, from the drains you mention, mike......... i'm just not a big fan of open holes in the hull of any boat. do you plug them? tape doesn't always seem to stay on, imho.
Nah if a scale or sport40 dies and gets water in it the pool noodle will hold it up. They dont stand up like monos

What holds your balls in then!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Nevermind, forgot about little wire. :blink: :blink:
LOL LOL Id think the hole in the transom for the pushrod being nearly 1/2 inch would serve as a drain for most of the water during running?

i have two 3/8 holes on the back of mine,one on for left and in the middle besides the push rod going threw the transom.two ac pipe tubing 3/4 length of boat the pool noodles were to thick.no problems of trying to sink,even upside down :eek:

What do you think guys? Don, Phil? I am currentle rebuidling my T5 hull and ran an autobailer in the back but I am not very statisfied with this.. Do you guys use one?
Is it a wood boat or a fibreglass boat?

On a wood hull the hull is usually water tight, just a 1/4 inch hole in the transom engine well would do for a drain. My wood hull boat has a hole at the rear of the belly pan. I have removable plugs in the hull to check for water and to dry out the hull between races.

The glass hulls I have usually have drain holes up above the waterline on the transom corners or up on the side of the sponsontips where they dont show. Drain in the engine well is good for the glass hull too just dont let the water fill the hull, they will weigh a ton when picked up.

Hi Guys.

if you go with autobailers, you have to be sure the interior of your hull is kept clear of ALL of the tiny debris that can collect there.

My miss Bud died in the middle of the pond one day out of reach of everthing I had with me.... didn't have enough line on the fishing pole, no wind, no retrieve boat...... while waiting for a buddy to get another rod and reel, I noticed that the hull was sitting kinda low in the water. I finally got the boat back 1/2 full of water.

seems that a tiny twig or leaf stem got stuck in the screen and wouldn't let the ball seal. even if the screen had been removed, it prob'ly still would have got stuck in the valve.

I still use them, but after repairs I use an air hose and get all the dust and chips out of the hull, and I pull the check balls out regularly to see if any crap is behind them.

Bob the Fool :blink:

Back