Are 2.4ghz radios legal?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the dual antenna FS receiver do you still need to route the external receiver antenna out of the radio box? Maybe a dumb question?? But I am curious.
Josh-
Definitely.

Now there will be those who say they are leaving the antennas in the radio box but when I shared that with the Futaba techs they kinda freaked out and said it is very important to get the last inch above any metal obstructions (like tuned pipes). Not to mention that Futaba has released a 400mm/15.75" antenna part option for the 603 and 604 RX's and it is listed as "boat only". Keep in mind the last inch of the 2.4 lead is the actual antenna but this new part makes retrofitting into a previously 27 or 75mhz equipped boat a snap. The longer length also allows you to get that last inch further up and away from tuned pipes or carbon fiber obstructions (cowls, radio box lids) which is an absolute must with 2.4. I just changed out all the antennas on my 603FS RX's to the longer one and I have 7" antenna lead length above deck on all my boats now. I have been really happy with the Futaba FASST system and am glad I made the switch over to it, sure is nice not having to hunt down the frequency clip at a big race. B)
Do you have a part # for the antenna option?

Thanks,

Zach

I see what Tom is saying. Although the 2.4 Gig band has been approved for R/C use, it still isn't in the IMPBA rulebook as legal frequencies for boat use in competition. If it is legal for us to use then the rulebook needs to be updated to reflect this.

Do you have a part # for the antenna option?Thanks,

Zach

HSP79766 ANT BOAT ONLY 400MM $12.13

Must be ordered through the service center or your LHS can order it. Tower does not carry or list the antenna. Keep in mind that as Don said, this is simply a longer coaxial cable on this antenna. The antenna itself is the same length. This part allows you to get the antenna up and out of a large hull. I have no problems getting mine with the standard antenna in a vertical position outside the boat.

Beyond that, the Futaba FASST radio is fully type accepted and complies with FCC Part 15 regulations for use in radio control of both surface and aircraft models. Every receiver and transmitter has the FCC acceptance label on it. I have no idea what the IMPBA requires, but according to the FCC the FUtaba FASST radios are completely legal and approved for use in radio control models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You Don,

No I didnt miss it. I did speak with futaba/hobbico and according to them all transmitters sold in the US are FCC regulated and all that needs to be done is the FCC numbers on the transmitters need to be entered in the FCC website and all the certifictions will be listed. Also the warning regarding turning the system on while other systems are running was an old printed instruction manual.

In all honesty there needs to be something in the rule book, I am not basing anything off the online rules (I have the current rule book, and so does the parties asking me these questions).

I am not a 2.4ghz system user, has this issue already been submited to the IMPBA for approval? If so is there anyway we can have a yes or no on its ok to use added to the rule book. Like I mentioned the "he said she said" needs to be in writting.

I personaly dont have a problem with them (2.4ghz radio's), but there are issues that need to be addressed and approved officially on use and procedures so all will be happy.

Thank You,

Paul

Latest posts

Back