AC sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

Looks like Ill be picking up one of these hulls. I really like the boat,.. never had one though

can anyone give me setup advice? looks like it was designed with a rear radio box. Should I do that? I've seen them with a box up front also.

Any known improvements that I should make?. I'm pretty excited about it.. no idea how Ill ever get it setup,.. as if I need another boat.. I have 2 that are not finished now..

I've had 2 AC sp0rt 40s'.AC has a rear mounted radio box.It has a depression in the top and lid for pipe clearance.In the AC set up they show 2 eight oz. Tanks in front.I used sullivan on one and Dubro on the other.They both work well.No weight is required for balance.Toward the end of a heat you you will notice the cg change,but it is manageable.The boat will turn left if needed without rolling or blowing over.The turnfin supplied by AC can be reduced front to back without hurting turns and improves straight runs.I don't remember the strut depth or angle.

Harvey

OK,.. I spoke with Andy,.. I learned that this boat is version 1. The older design. The reason they did the v2 is because this boat was designed around the power available back then, or lack of.. so its light on the water, significant lift. Also the boat is very difficult to launch. He said they want to submarine.. He also said they used to have to run lots of negative angle on strut,.. and props were not nearly as good then,, and the negative angle made the launch problem even worse.

I'm thinking that the curved front part of the sponsons may have helped pull it down as well.

So,, I may change those to flat to help the launch issue,.. and run a prop with some lift and try to keep the strut as flat as possible.

Please, if anyone has suggestions or information.. I would love to hear it..

Thanks

Version one hulls have pointy sponsons and unequal width ride pads on the bottoms. Version 2 hulls have the newer style cut off sponsons at the tips and v-bottom style sponsons. Andy was right about the launch issue being a problem back in the early 90's when the version 1 hull came out. At that time you had your drive dog under the hull before the transom and this positioned the prop closer to the transom which caused the water from the prop to lift the transom on launch. When Namba changed the rules, you can now put the drive dog one length behind the transom and this ended the launch issues. Now that Namba allows transom mounted struts, the problem is gone completely although I have not mounted a strut on a sport 40 on the transom and nor will I either. I would not change anything on either hull as far as getting it to launch, that is no issue. I have had 2 or 3 of the version 1 hulls and they ran fine. The only real issue on the version 1 hull was trueing up the sponson bottoms by sanding to get them as flat as possible and then epoxy some lexan ride pads on the sponson bottoms keeping the edges clean and sharp (think eagle SG or JAE sponsons).

the v1 has flat sponsons. The v2 has some steps or other geometry,.. not steps like like front to back,.. but length wise down the sponson. That is what he told me is the main difference.. Do you have any issues launching yours,.. can you tell me your set data,

prop, strut angle, under the boat or on the transom, strut depth. rudder left or right side

Lots of different props work too, I used to run a pitched up X-646/3 or a X-450/2.

Rudder on the left, strut depth about 7/8" to bottom of strut with only 1-2 degrees negative angle, adjust to suit.

Version one hulls have pointy sponsons and unequal width ride pads on the bottoms. Version 2 hulls have the newer style cut off sponsons at the tips and v-bottom style sponsons. Andy was right about the launch issue being a problem back in the early 90's when the version 1 hull came out. At that time you had your drive dog under the hull before the transom and this positioned the prop closer to the transom which caused the water from the prop to lift the transom on launch. When Namba changed the rules, you can now put the drive dog one length behind the transom and this ended the launch issues. Now that Namba allows transom mounted struts, the problem is gone completely although I have not mounted a strut on a sport 40 on the transom and nor will I either. I would not change anything on either hull as far as getting it to launch, that is no issue. I have had 2 or 3 of the version 1 hulls and they ran fine. The only real issue on the version 1 hull was trueing up the sponson bottoms by sanding to get them as flat as possible and then epoxy some lexan ride pads on the sponson bottoms keeping the edges clean and sharp (think eagle SG or JAE sponsons).
Awesome thanks Rob looks like this one is Version II.

the v1 has flat sponsons. The v2 has some steps or other geometry,.. not steps like like front to back,.. but length wise down the sponson. That is what he told me is the main difference.. Do you have any issues launching yours,.. can you tell me your set data,

prop, strut angle, under the boat or on the transom, strut depth. rudder left or right side
Anthony I picked up this boat second hand with a blown nitro motor and I'm electrifying it. But it was supposed to have run pretty well.

The rudder on this one was on the left and the strut was at 1 5/16" (sounds deep). This one is mounted in the boat with the end of it pretty much flush with the transom. There is one running in our club I can probably get you some more info.

I had version 1 and loved it i saw a few guys with version 2 and hated then and they had, had version 1 you will love it Robert

Well the boat is on it's way.. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for all the info,..

Ill be getting the sponson bottoms flat and adding lexan or CF,.. I wya just go with the rear radio box for ease of installation,.. if you guys think it runs just as well that way,..

oh yeah,.. to confirm, this boat is set up for the standard speedmaster motor mount? stuffing tube is lined up with the standard,.. not the drop or anything like that,.. correct?

That is the way mine was set up , the radio box in the rear and a Walt Barney tank up front, i ran a 16oz. tank Robert

Back