1/6 Scale COG

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Seybold

Supporting Member
Hi,

I have a Snell 1/6 scale hydro that I’m working on. Struggling to get the motor mounted right now, but really need to know where the balance point should be on this. Should it be at the turnfin or back about 1.5” from there, or somewhere else.

Thanks for any help

Basically yes. Should be about 55% of overall boat length. Give Jeff a call, he can tell you better than anyone.
Mike

You might consider doing some thorough research because as the gas scales have developed over the last 2-3 years that they are going as fast and even faster than the 1/8 nitro boats. This extra speed has made it necessary to move the motors ahead to get the CG further forward to prevent blow overs. I believe most of the guys running older style RC Boat Co. gas boats in our club (RCU) have already cut the old belly pans out and moved them ahead to calm the boats down, especially as they got really flighty towards the end of the chutes. Moving the motor is certainly a better option performance-wise than putting lead in the boat.

I just received from RC Boat works the first of his modified mold gas boats (Oly Beer with an infused carbon hull and glass cowling) that have the belly pans moved ahead 2". Steve says his next updated mold will be for the 8255 gas hulls.

Very nice work by the way from Steve G. Perhaps not quite as light as a lightly built wood boat but very close, and of course much more durable.

Back