why nitro? just give me a good reason why i should

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok,here is my first post to this forum...first off i like 1/8th scale hydros,i think they look awesome and they are one of the few rc boats that look like the real thing.i know there is a ton of options out there for gas boats,but i really want to run the scale hydros,just as a sport boater,not to race.really no clubs around my area.i know proboat makes a 1/8th scale gas hydro,but i heard they are junk,besides i like all the hull options in this class.i have a circus circus i just purchased and i am thinking of purchasing another hull as i type this.i just want a few good reasons why i should run a nitro boat over a gas boat,persaude me guys.its been 20 years that i have wanted one of these boats and now i am finally in a financial situation that i can afford one or two of these boats.i know the rc market has come a long way in the last 20 years with gas motors and nitro motors are becoming harder to come by.so i guess i am just looking for someone to tell me a good reason to run nitro over gas.thanks for your opinions in advance.

If you don't mind the size or the in initial cost, and plan to only run larger sized boats, I can't see any reason not to run gas...

I love nitro though,.. nothing like the sound or the smell,..

ok,here is my first post to this forum...first off i like 1/8th scale hydros,i think they look awesome and they are one of the few rc boats that look like the real thing.i know there is a ton of options out there for gas boats,but i really want to run the scale hydros,just as a sport boater,not to race.really no clubs around my area.i know proboat makes a 1/8th scale gas hydro,but i heard they are junk,besides i like all the hull options in this class.i have a circus circus i just purchased and i am thinking of purchasing another hull as i type this.i just want a few good reasons why i should run a nitro boat over a gas boat,persaude me guys.its been 20 years that i have wanted one of these boats and now i am finally in a financial situation that i can afford one or two of these boats.i know the rc market has come a long way in the last 20 years with gas motors and nitro motors are becoming harder to come by.so i guess i am just looking for someone to tell me a good reason to run nitro over gas.thanks for your opinions in advance.

There is nothing like the smell of Nitro on a cool summer morning! I love the sound smell and speed of the nitro boats. But that is just my personal opinon.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 1
A primary issue is that you cannot generally fit a gas motor under an 1/8 scale cowl. Some have gone with 1/6 scales to overcome this issue and you see some of those classes growing. Another growing trend is to run electric in 1/8 scale. Maybe that will be the wave of the future. If it is then trying to not to create battery or motor wars will be a challenge.

In any event I'm excited to see that you have an interest in boat racing. I love to see growth in the sport. Something very important is to find out what your fellow rc boat racers in your area are doing. If you are the only gas or nitro scale running you will certainly not continue.

We are very fortunate in the NW United States to have such a great 1/8 scale nitro following.

Thanks for bringing the issue up but what is real important is to get you on the water.

Good Luck in your choice,

Bill Brandt

There is nothing like the smell of Nitro on a cool summer morning! I love the sound smell and speed of the nitro boats. But that is just my personal opinon.
They say Alcohol is for drinking, Gasolin is for washing parts and if you really want to race it's NITRO all the way!! See you on sunday Joey.

I have to agree with some of the others, there's nothing like the smell of nitro in the morning. At the same time, since Zens and RCMKs don't fit in a scale boat without chopping and modding the cowl or making the boat bigger in general, then nitro power is the way to go. When you look at the possibility of nitro powered racing disappearing(heaven forbid) due to the lack of manufacturers that produce affordable engines and increasing fuel costs, a nitro powered scale can be easily converted to electric power if and when neccessary

Last edited by a moderator:
A primary issue is that you cannot generally fit a gas motor under an 1/8 scale cowl. Some have gone with 1/6 scales to overcome this issue and you see some of those classes growing. Another growing trend is to run electric in 1/8 scale. Maybe that will be the wave of the future. If it is then trying to not to create battery or motor wars will be a challenge.

In any event I'm excited to see that you have an interest in boat racing. I love to see growth in the sport. Something very important is to find out what your fellow rc boat racers in your area are doing. If you are the only gas or nitro scale running you will certainly not continue.

We are very fortunate in the NW United States to have such a great 1/8 scale nitro following.

Thanks for bringing the issue up but what is real important is to get you on the water.

Good Luck in your choice,

Bill Brandt
thanks bill....yeah i have been watching you guys for years on your website...rcunlimiteds....i wish we had something like that in the northeast...i used to go see the full size hydros in syracuse,ny.when they use to race there in the 80s and i think 1990 was the last time they raced there...i have got alot of info from you guys out there...heck,i remember buying VHS tapes from mock one productions,like scale unlimited racing...i dont know how many times i watched that tape when i purchased it some 20 years ago...well im sure i am going to have alot more questions for you,seeing how i am new to this,so any advice i would appreciate very much,thank you,bob

I have to agree with some of the others, there's nothing like the smell of nitro in the morning. At the same time, since Zens and RCMKs don't fit in a scale boat without chopping and modding the cowl or making the boat bigger in general, then nitro power is the way to go. When you look at the possibility of nitro powered racing disappearing(heaven forbid) due to the lack of manufacturers that produce affordable engines and increasing fuel costs, a nitro powered scale can be easily converted to electric power if and when neccessary
you guys are right about the smell,love it...i also like my boats to look like the real thing,thats why i like the 1/8th scale hydros...some boats nowadays not really sure what they are,thanks.

There are good options for 1/8th scale boats. I have some epoxyglass kits and there are some wood lazer cut kits starting up too if you are a wood builder.

The Cmb 67 is real good engine for scales.

Check the link for my Phil Thomas Hydros.

If you just want to run for fun i would get a gas wood whiplash.Dont need a real hot motor it will run is the 60 mph range.Put a 500 ml bag in it you can get 2 to 3 times the run time of a 67 nitro motor.They run like on rails and look good too.Dont need no starter or glo plug.Cost will be about the same or less no third channel or mix valve.I run both nitro and gas.The plugs and fuel for the nitro isnt cheap.A spark plug will last all summer.Gas is cheap takes alot to burn tru a gallon.The gas whiplash is easy to setup also.

There are good options for 1/8th scale boats. I have some epoxyglass kits and there are some wood lazer cut kits starting up too if you are a wood builder.

The Cmb 67 is real good engine for scales.

Check the link for my Phil Thomas Hydros.
phil,i am buying one of your hulls from someone as we speak...its the bud t5...the guy did a great job on building it...its all RTR..i also have a pretty dumas circus circus hydro that i recently purchased also RTR..he also did a great job...i would like to build my own sometime soon...where can i purchase a wood kit besides dumas...they only have one kit..thanks,bob

Go gas if you just run for fun.

Guy's that sweet smell that you like is castor oil not nitro. Nitro is the stuff that is making your eye water. :rolleyes: Go gas and mix some castor oil in with your gas or white gas and you will still have that great smell. I know because I run straight methanol (no nitro) mixed with castor oil for my full size OB hydro's And if I could I would bottle the smell of the exhaust gasses. :D

Well one difference I think is that 1/8 scale nitro drivers are generally very respectful of each other and the time it takes to build and maintain their boats, and their driving styles are indicative of that.

First and formost welcome to the board.

Truth is if you are not going to race it.. its an open end deal.. but as stated earler it can be hard to fit a gas motor under a typcal 1/8 scale cowl.

Me.. I REALY LOVE the romance of a nitro motor.. its not the smell.. its not the sound.. allthough that aint bad eather.

It’s the challancge of making it run and run well that I like.. haiving said this, I also don’t just PLAY with an RC boat.. I test or race.. just going out to play does not keep my attention very long.. that’s what RC Helis are for!

ALSO.. a 1/8 scale boat takes time to build, paint and setup.. you labor over the boat for months and they head to the races and have at it. Its allot of fun buildin one and make it run well.

Simple advise

Get a Phil Thomas T-5 hull

CMB Green head

Futaba 2.4 radio

Ask questions here (most important part and it don’t cost a dime)

And have at it..

Grimracer

Why not a Classic Thunderboat ? Then if he does ever decide to race it he is covered.....

And the hydro look- just not modern era boats.

And gets the ease of a gas motor versus nitro for a newer boater.

Now dont get me wrong, all my boats are nitro boats and I love em,

But if your just sport running and may or may not race it in the future, why not?

Andy

Robert, i think i comes down to what you enjoy doing...if you like to tinker and enjoy a challenge, then nitro is one way to go...there are a ton of VERY experianced nitro boaters on this forum who will help you...all you have to do is ask. If you get good information, and try to set things up right, the chances are, you may well have a decent runnin boat the first time you throw it in the water.Whether you choose nitro, gas, or electric, you can spend as much or as little money as you want to...all depends on how crazy you want to get...im a nitro guy, and for me its the sounds, smells and the feeling you get when you know you got the needle right with the right prop cause yer boat is haulin ASS! :) I also run a scale boat and they are alot of FUN! No matter what type of power you choose, it all takes a certain amount of patience...if it was too easy, it really wouldnt be much fun!

I would not care what engine I ran as long as I can run the scales. I was always afraid of them due to the painting.... I sucked at it, but a few lessons from great painter and every time I finish one the feeling of WOW I just did that didn't I, makes you real proud of what some time and effort and a little skill can due. I had just finished crashing my 58" Short Circuit and I was realy down for a few weeks. But let me tell you how I feel now after finishing the repairs and paint. The only better feeling is running it.

I would not care what engine I ran as long as I can run the scales. I was always afraid of them due to the painting.... I sucked at it, but a few lessons from great painter and every time I finish one the feeling of WOW I just did that didn't I, makes you real proud of what some time and effort and a little skill can due. I had just finished crashing my 58" Short Circuit and I was realy down for a few weeks. But let me tell you how I feel now after finishing the repairs and paint. The only better feeling is running it.
I know the feeling Kevin...remember when the smokin joes hit those jagged rocks at your pond? I defy ya to find where the damage was now......

Latest posts

Back