why are the current sport 40's so small???????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I ran a Dave Frank sport 40 years ago. There is a picture of it in Phil's photos. I dont think it was any bigger than the PT 45 boat I run today. Set up and balance and preference of handling makes the difference. The current boat I run has never stuffed. My Son Chuck has his boat set up much tighter than mine and while it has came close to stuffing. I cant recall it doing it. If you ever seen Phil's own boat run, you would see his set up is very good in rough water. For me, This newest version has been a little harder for me to keep on the water and my balance point is a little farther forward than my older PT boat. We had this same problem with Wes Ellett's boat. There are alot of good sport 40s out there. The Mutt II and the whiplash as well as the AC boat and the newer muck hull are all competitive set up correctly. I believe a Dave Frank would still be competitive today also. But I dont think the boats are smaller than when I started racing this class.
Where is the photo of the frank 40. Ive got one and im rebuilding it for my father who raced it and dominated our district back in the day.

four or five years past maybe longer I had a very light weight layup of one of my scale hull,s (to light to run in scale class) so just for kicks I put in a Mac 45 to run sport 40 II -- much to my surprise it handled the rough water and ran faster than 90% of the sport 40,s in district 19 and we had some VERY GOOD running boats in our district

I often wondered why nobody that I knew of didnt try running bigger boats in the 40 class seeing as how there is no size limet in NAMBA

Henry

Back