Which Speedmaster strut setup for 1/8 scale?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimZaremski

I'm looking for a decent strut for a 1/8 scale hull; it's an older Olympia Beer (unknown make.) Probably using an X457 or x455 prop. looking at Rossi Sales' site, it seems like the:

SPDS-009-187HR 3/16" Strut XTD assembly, HYDRO, Round bottom

would be the closest fit, just mounted through the hull bottom instead of on the transom. The extended length would then be trimmed to fit to make sure the drive dog is in the right place.

On track or all wet?

Most all use the 1/4" X 3/16" cable and 1/4" struts. The props mentioned would be good ( 3 blade) for a pickle fork boat. A round nose would be better with 1457/3 or1455/3. No need to get the extended strut, Regular version would be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
i always get the extended strut and cut it at the desired length. I agree with your idea. but Please use a 1/4" cable and strut, you will break tons of the smaller ones

Jim, the Accu-Tech "authentic" is more suited to modern day turbine powered boats, if you are concerned with scale appearance.

Also you may want to get the flat bottom strut if you go with Speedmaster. It will help with lift at the rear of the hull.

Harvey

Jim, the Accu-Tech "authentic" is more suited to modern day turbine powered boats, if you are concerned with scale appearance.

Also you may want to get the flat bottom strut if you go with Speedmaster. It will help with lift at the rear of the hull.

Harvey
With it being a Older Style Boat like the Olympia Beer would a flat strut be over kill. I wouldn't think on a hull like that you need extra rear lift. It might create a lot of hop. On the modern day hulls you need all the help you can get.

I guess I'm asking because the 1/8 scales we've run use Aeromarine struts which work fine, but are getting harder to find. I only mentioned the props because those are the ones I use, but I've not had a setup with a step-down shaft. Only time I've broken a 3/16" cable is when I stupidly let it run dry.

What motor are you running? I wouldn't think a 3/16 shaft would handle the hp of a .67. Maybe I'm wrong.

Prop size sounds about right. Have you ever thought of trying a X460/2? Or Prather 245, 250? I think that's the correct Prather size.

Hey Jim,

Does the hull look like this one per chance? The one pictured is a Don Maher's Velasco hull. CHEERS !!! Bob

I prefer a 3/16 prop shaft and needle bearing strut. It's less bulky, uses smaller hub props, and spins freer. Get the strut and shaft from Gary Jensen here; http://gatjens.com/hardware/

Instead of the clamp style motor coupler I use a squared drive. This allows the shaft to float without loading the engine bearings. 1/4" flex shaft, cut to length, solder the 3/16" prop shaft ferrule on, and there you go.

Back