What's the best finish on a prop?????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don,

From 3M they are called Radial Bristle Discs

Try this web site address:( http:www.gesswein.com/c-48-abrasives.aspx )

You can stack them for different thickness jobs or you can even buy Dremel

brands ones that fit on their quick-mount set up. I like the green color or 24 grit

with the Dremel ones. These work very well for me.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

but they look so PURTY when they're polished! :lol: couldnt help it........!
Bill these dont look good to you unpolished :normal_Props.jpg

done by a IW member that only does props for himself. Im at no liberty to give his name I just wanted others to see what some can turn out without polishing. If you know who did these props please dont say!!!

To me the unpolished finished has more of a performance look to me than the shiny stuff.

Last edited:
hugh.... bill was joking... i beleive he would be forced to drink his own windex supply if he showed up with a shiny polished prop....lol....

alden

Don,

If you run the wheels at a 90 degree position from the hub to the leading edge

it will put little ridges in the face of the blade to accelerate the water off the blade.

We have found this to be a very good surface treatment on our propellers. :)

Enjoy Testing,

Mark Sholund

Hey Now do not drop those camo props in the grass :ph34r: Best finish on my props is first place :lol: :lol:

Nails.

Guys,

The real problem with the polishing is that it ruins

the trailing edge sharpness. This rolled edge really

hurts the performance of the water exiting the face of

the propeller. You can polish the back of the blade if

you have time to waste. This did nothing for the propeller

accept looking nicer on the stand.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Heat treat before polish :0 I don't bother with polishing so no issues here. BUT for those that like thier props to look pretty.....
Norm wat you method of heat treating?
We have a heat treat furnace with digital controller and years of experience and research on what not to do.

www.hobbyheattreating.com
Hey Norm, Tell him what you quench in!!! I can't believe the story I told Akerman years ago is still around but what you added to it with the guy and the cat wakes me up at night laughing!

Guys,

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Heat treat before polish :0 I don't bother with polishing so no issues here. BUT for those that like thier props to look pretty.....
We have a heat treat furnace with digital controller and years of experience and research on what not to do.

Hey Norm, Tell him what you quench in!!! I can't believe the story I told Akerman years ago is still around but what you added to it with the guy and the cat wakes me up at night laughing!
We use animal by products....(Cat Pee).. If you have a lot of Cats getting it should be no problem. It makes for a uniform composition metalurgically. In fact, I only have one Cat, so if anyone can get me a pint or even a quart I will pay top dollar for it.

Thanks

Norm Doerr

Guys,

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

We use animal by products....(Cat Pee).. If you have a lot of Cats getting it should be no problem. It makes for a uniform composition metalurgically. In fact, I only have one Cat, so if anyone can get me a pint or even a quart I will pay top dollar for it.

Thanks

Norm Doerr
All kidding aside, the rule of thumb I used to tell people regarding heat treating 2% Berillium Copper was it would double the tensile strength ie: 70,000 psi as cast and 135,000 psi after heat treating. It is really significant once you have a blade you like, but don't even think about cupping or twisting after or they will crack. You can cup & twist if you re-anneal and then the blades are like butter and all you have to do is breath on them and they move.

John

Fluid dynamics teach us the molecules in contact with the solid surface remain in place. And flow increases as we move perpendicular to the surface. This suggests the impact of polishing is so marginal that a slight breeze or change in mixture due to atmosphere conditions etc will be more significant than polishing. For sure due to high rpm small inefficiencies will add up and significant factors such as cupping pitch and burrs will be noticeable. I submit detailed surface finish effects will be hard to prove

Back