water proofing receivers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone tried NAPAs ignition and battery sealer. It says it prevents corosion, seals against moisture and is safe for plastic. When I used to race (many moons ago) they did not have anything to protect circuit boards and now I am looking for a local alternative.

Hey Wes....I took a tip that I saw on an electric site(Offshore Electrics) and coated the circuit board with epoxy. If you plan on changing crystals you can put a piece of modeling clay in the crystal socket and then coat the board. No problems so far.

I spray them with a dielectric solution called aeroplate. Works great.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Corrosion X the board & the receiver parts, Seal up with a 6` balloon W/small zip tie.... Works for me...

My take on the subject: Pay attention to water proof the radio box and you won't have to worry about it! I have never had a problem due to water in the radio equipment over 10 years of hard racing.

Just my way of doing things,

Don ;)

Most radio manufactures will void your warranty if you return a receiver that has anything like oil or corrosion X on it ,stay away from Corrosion X for this application. This is taken from the manufactures web site "Corrosion X is also a super lubricant and penetrant. It lubricates under heavy loads and high temperatures. Use it on sheaves, hinges, locks, cables/wire ropes, windlasses or other rotating devices. It is ideal for fishing reels and guns. And, CorrosionX penetrates like nothing you've ever used. Corroded or rusted nuts, bolts or fittings can usually be removed within a few minutes." No where do they say to put it in electronic devices. The simple fact they promote it as a penatrant should tell you not to use it on such devices. Why would you want anything to penatrate a circuit board. I am sure that used for its intended purpose that Corrosion X works well but like anything else it can be abused by using for electronics.

Your best solution is to build a good radio box and if your receiver does happen to get wet get the power off of it, open the case and use some 90% or better Isopropyl alcohol to clean it and let air dry this will not void your warranty. If you must do something else I have found that Plasti Dip (spray on) can be used directly on the PC board and will not harm any of the components, it can be removed with some effort if you need to but this too will probably not go over well if you try to have any warranty work done. I don’t want to start a flaming session on the guys that use Corrosion X suffice to say I have been working on electronics for over 20 years and have not found any manufacturers that would suggest you put something like that on a circuit board. There are substances called conformal coatings that can be used directly on PC boards but Corrosion X is not one of them. I know there are some of you out there that have been lucky and that stuff has not hurt your receivers, but it’s like the story that goes something like this.

A guy is standing on the street corner snapping his fingers. A man comes up and ask what he is doing and the guy snapping his fingers says “I’m keeping the lions away” to this his inquisitor replies “there are no lions in the city” at this point the guy says “see it must be working then”. Please do not put any oil type products on electronic components.

Has anyone every tried that "rubberize it" stuff that offshoreelectrics sells ??? Wondered how that would work !

Eric maybe you should have him dip it into a Bucket of TAR @ 200F...? :lol: :lol: You dont know Dick about Corrosion X.....Pentrant, DieElectric, & Anticorrosive. I Will Not put a R/C Boat on Water Without It...... I guess 6 years of boating 100 receivers & boats later & Not a single failure with it..........says Nothing....

My take on the subject: Pay attention to water proof the radio box and you won't have to worry about it! I have never had a problem due to water in the radio equipment over 10 years of hard racing.

Just my way of doing things,

Don ;)
I wish I could say the same. I have 2 boats where the pipe runs verry close to the radio box. This time of year with the water being cold, I get condensation in the box. At least I think thats what it is. I can set the box in the tub and not get anything in it. It's never more tha a fiew drops but I,ve had servos and bateries corode because of it in the past.

I Will Not put a R/C Boat on Water Without It...... I guess 6 years of boating 100 receivers & boats later & Not a single failure with it..........says Nothing....
Good for you Joe, Just keep snapping your fingers :lol:

I've been using Aeroplate for a while now and it's the best $15.00 that I've spent for my fleet! It brought one reciever back from the dead and saved lots of servos and RX's from damage. I've had a radio box that was full of water. All I did was drain it out and put the boat back on the pond. I do wrap the RX's with disposable baby bottle liners, much cheaper than balloons for extra insurance.

Don has it right, build a decent radio box to start with. I put a couple of paper towels in there and open it up after every trip to the pond to air out. Never put anything in my radio gear and have never had a problem. As Eric stated if some thing gets wet I wash it out with alcohol and it is good to go. If you need a ballon or some miracle spray to keep your gear working you are an accident waiting to happen.

Just my humble opinion

Mark

I've been using Aeroplate for a while now and it's the best $15.00 that I've spent for my fleet! It brought one reciever back from the dead and saved lots of servos and RX's from damage. I've had a radio box that was full of water. All I did was drain it out and put the boat back on the pond. I do wrap the RX's with disposable baby bottle liners, much cheaper than balloons for extra insurance.
Why not! instead condoms :p make laugh at you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but it are good working ;)

I would never seal a receiver. Any moisture that gets trapped will eventually kill it and you will never have known it was there. A few pices of paper towel in the box will absorb any water that comes in. Wrap the receiver with a towel as well. If you have more water than this method will absorb then you have other problems.

If the box ever fails and your receiver gets soaked then spray it out with WD-40 and you are instantly ready.

I agree with Preston. Mount the receiver high in the box and protect it with as many paper towels as you can within reason.

Reducing the size of the radio box also reduces the amount of trapped air in the box. In turn, it reduces the risk of flooding.

I would never seal a receiver. Any moisture that gets trapped will eventually kill it and you will never have known it was there. A few pieces of paper towel in the box will absorb any water that comes in. Wrap the receiver with a towel as well. If you have more water than this method will absorb then you have other problems.

If the box ever fails and your receiver gets soaked then spray it out with WD-40 and you are instantly ready.
I agree 100%!! BTW- all my receivers are typically elevated off radio box bottom on a pedestal type mounting surface or up on the side of the radio box (scale boats usually due to limited space). I also use velcro to secure them which helps isolate them from vibration. Bottom line there is no substitute for a well built & well sealed radio box. ;)

Allan, it sounds funny to use condoms but they do work well. I've been using the baby bottle liners because they are so cheap, a lot less than condoms. I cut them off at the 6 oz. mark and most RX's will fit inside. Some guys will use tampons in their radio boxes to absorb any moisture. Not me, I'd have hell to pay if the wife found tampons and condoms in my toolboxes!

All the insurance You can get always helps though. Paper towels inside a balloon with a spray like Aeroplate plus a well sealed radio box all help.

Don, you've got a PM.

Back