Trophy opinions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you need to get a trophy?

• Total voters

SayMikey

The cost of putting on a race is mostly eaten up by trophies. My question is is there an alternative? How many keep all those trophies? Just trying to keep costs down,why pay trophy makers all the entry fees when clubs could use the cash to improve sites and pay for other needed items..

Did you notice that at many of the races the clubs are turning around and handing their money to this "other" venture that shows up for race weekend. That is where you're trophy money is going.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd place EARN that trophy and is a part of racing being able to show something for your accomplishment, trophies dont need to be elaborate works of art to show this--Without a trophy you might as well be just running with the boys on sunday and not even call it a race-- We had nice wooden plaques at our races that didnt cost a ton.

After a while, what do you do with all the trophies? I've got some sitting on a shelf in the shop that are over 40 years old. Eventually, they will go into the trash.

Granted, some people race to get trophies. Most race to have a good time with friends and for "Bragging Rights".

If the club charges enough to pay for the trophies, people complain about how expensive it is to race. People that don't have a chance of winning a trophy don't show up and everyone complains that racing is too expensive and the entry numbers are down.

I do think that in some races, such as Nats and Hobart, a trophy or award of some kind is justified. But, for local and club races, I don't think that the cost of the trophies is justified.

Just my opinion.

I voted no,,

This has been hashed over many times, in many distrcts.

When I was stationed in Texas, the few races I was able to make it to, they gave out hats or T-Shirts AND glow plugs.

At that time, it was relatively easy to do this, as MOST ran McCoy MC9's.

Now with so many options for plugs. All of the different O;Donnell plugs, it wouldn't be as easy.

Another thing that I liked, that was done, In Florida for a few years, gift certificates were given for Season High Points prizes. These were for local hobby suppliers.

IN District 9 we give 1st-5th place plates that go on perpetual plaques during the year and at the end of the seasons

we give out jackets and or shirts to the high points in each class and go to 3rd place with smaller trophies.

I can see it both way's so I will not vote . To a new person it would be a THRILL & altra high for a well done job . to a winning racer they just become another trophy SADLY as it may be . love to have a solution for ya i dont love to read more answers to this . thank you

I have only ever kept one trophy (most were donated to local clubs) until my kids started racing , now they have them in their rooms and like showing them to their friends.

I would be just fine with not getting one or maybe getting something useful instead .

Tim k

To me i don't need to get a trophy at races all the time i am just as happy to get a certificate saying what place and class. and with a certificate you can hang them on the wall for awhile and then you can file them away till later when you want to reminisce about a given race.

I think it should be optional.

Maybe at the last few races, there could be a check box whether you want one or not on your registration sheet. I always thought it would be nice to just get a name plate, at least that you could stick on your tool box or something.

Its kind of depressing to think about the club spending money on something that some people in the club don't want and might end up in the trash. That money could go to something useful that everyone could use.

No offence to anyone that has provided trophies, but if there's any wood on them I use them for kindling in the winter. I remove any metal, cut them down a bit and use them to start the wood stove. It's cold up here in Canada don't you know. Eh!

If your trophy prices are getting too high, check out www.thophykits.com. They usually offer free shipping if over $100 and you will have to put them together.

I get rid of old trophies by giving them to Goodwill. When you donate them ask for a receipt. That way you can write off their value as a donation to a non-profit origination. The local Goodwill uses them, with a few minor changes, for the Special Olympics and other events.

DonB

If the race is managed correctly the fees for racing add up to pay for trophies and any site work through out the year that may need done PLUS extras and still have cash left over, food vendors come to the race and you can actually pull profit off of them for the club bank account if you do it right, hey they LOOK for places to set-up so they can sell their food charge them a % to be there --hell may only be a dime per dollar but that adds up--

A printed off certificate done nicely maybe even embossed with a logo etc would still count as a trophy. and you can get kits at the print shops to do this CHEAPLY

Trophy--- a reward for a specific achievement, and serves as recognition or evidence of merit---My opinion if the club cant afford to give its PAYING players at the very least something to show for what they have achieved they should not offer races at all--

Above said new members wont show as it cost to much---just because trophies arnt given out dont hold your breath fees will drop AND that said ANY new member I have ever seen is proud as **** of that award at the end and keeps them wanting more---

If the race is managed correctly the fees for racing add up to pay for trophies and any site work through out the year that may need done PLUS extras and still have cash left over, food vendors come to the race and you can actually pull profit off of them for the club bank account if you do it right, hey they LOOK for places to set-up so they can sell their food charge them a % to be there --hell may only be a dime per dollar but that adds up--

A printed off certificate done nicely maybe even embossed with a logo etc would still count as a trophy. and you can get kits at the print shops to do this CHEAPLY

Trophy--- a reward for a specific achievement, and serves as recognition or evidence of merit---My opinion if the club cant afford to give its PAYING players at the very least something to show for what they have achieved they should not offer races at all--

Above said new members wont show as it cost to much---just because trophies arnt given out dont hold your breath fees will drop AND that said ANY new member I have ever seen is proud as **** of that award at the end and keeps them wanting more---
May I ask what club you belong to? Fees have been stayed the same for years and costs go up

Mikey

The Dayton club gives out Certificates for first,second,third with the clubs name.

FIRST,GOLD

SECOND,BROZNE

THIRD,SILVER

Keep it simple

Dave Roach

You guys need laser etched acrylic trophies/plaques. Can be made out of 1/4 acrylic can probably make 8-10 plaques out of a $50 sheet with a nominal fee for laser services

I didnt vote either because its missing another option-

#4- Only at a bigger race does a trophy mean something more to you.

I can understand the cost involved , and at small club races and one day series ( besides maybe an overall trophy-hint for the WCRA series btw ) they dont mean so much. But If I place well at a two day dist race here in D3 with the guys I run with-

Its nice to have something to show for it. ;)

FOR SURE at all National events.

Just my .02

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back