The Futaba 2.4GHz System

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James,

I think you have been misled as to how the spread spectrum system works. So here goes, to the best of my knowledge........

Each Tx (or module) is set to a "code" (much like PCM). Each code is unique to the serial number on the back label of the Tx, and no two Tx's will ever be made with matching codes. When you "bind" a Rx, you are essentially "programming" it to only respond to a signal that matches that code. There is no chance that a Tx can communicate with a Rx unless the Rx is bound to the Tx first. NONE. As to how the Tx and Rx communicate to meet up on frequencies, I don't know, but I do know that they do. I don't think the Rx is acutally broadcasting anything, but I'm not really sure, either way.........

Let's go to the pond...........

Let's say that the entire RC community finally comes to grips with the future of RC technology (Doubtful, but let's run with it.........) Everybody who shows up to a race is using a DSM system of one make or another, and they have done their homework, set them up correctly and have them operating as prescribed. They all turn their boats on at the same time. At this point all the Rx's start "listening" for their bound code. After they have scanned the entire spectrum several times, not hearing their code, they will go into failsafe (assuming they all have a failsafe, I'm not sure that they all do, mine does). They will continue to scan the entire spectrum, listening for their code. Now everybody turns their Tx's on. Immediately, all the Rx's "hear" their bound code on any one of the frequencies in the 2.4 GHz spectrum and lock onto that frequency. Everybody has control of their boat, and their boat only, with no interference from anybody elses Tx. It's painfully simple, but that's it.

I just did my little test again with my two boats. Turned both Rx's on and the Tx, and boat boats responded as expected, with the exception that on my 40 boat, the sterring and throttle were operating in reverse and not centering correctly, but that is due to the fact that the Tx model memory was set for the 20 boat. Neither went into failsafe. It didn't matter what order I tuned the Rx's and the Tx on, I got the same reliable result.

Let's go back to your twin.........

With a tandem Rx set-up, the same thing would happen that happened at "the pond", with one exception. And that would be that there are two Rx's bound to the same Tx. It won't matter which you turn on first, be it Rx1, Rx2, or your Tx. When Rx1 hears it's code, it will lock onto that frequency. Same goes for Rx2, even though Rx one is already locked onto that same code. The Rx doesn't care if another Rx is listening to that frequency, and neither does the Tx. The fact is that no other Rx is going to be listening to that frequency unless it is bound to the same code, and the Tx doesn't care how may Rx's are locked onto a gven frequency, because they are all going to be communicating the same "OK" back to the Tx, if that is how it works........

As for the issues with reflection and such, I have no answers. I do know that I have had no issues with either of my boats since fixing all of my initial set-up errors. At my local pond, I stand on the ground and will usually have my Tx just above waist height by the time my run is over (I usually don't pay any mind as to where I'm holding it, so gravity takes over somewhat....). This means that my Tx is pretty close to surface level, so "angle of broadcast" is not causing any issues for me.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad,

Good information. I like not having to get a frequency clip, although I've been running on 27.255 for years and very few other model boaters run on Channel 6.

JD

Back