Strut and rudder location

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Akre

I've aquired what I've been told is a Thunderboat reproductions hull. This hull builds the '84 Atlas, '85'86 Miller American, and probably a few more.

After much thought, I've decided to use it to build the '84 Atlas.

My question is; what brand or style of strut and rudder assemblies should I use, and where should they be placed? I'm kinda new to this game, so I'm looking for dimensional placements of these parts.

Any help is much appreciated.

Les

Hi Les

Welcome to 1/8th scale boating, first off I prefer a flat bottomed strut, Octura is a good one when you can find them, Speedmaster also makes a good flat bottomed strut and an excelent rudder asm as well. Haven't seen one but I beleive Harry Gatjens makes a very nice stainless steel strut also. The strut is mounted center-line of the hull far enough in from the transom so that a straight edge can be held against the transon and the very back edge of the drive-dog may come in contact with that edge. For the Rudder I prefer mine on the left or port side of the transom, it keeps it out of the turbulance of the turn fin and always in "clean water", I usually space mine approx 66% of the distance of the left 1/2 width of the transon from the centerline. (ie if total transon is 14" 14/2= 7 x .66= 4.62 or 4 5/8 approx) and I also space the front edge of the rudder back from the transon a minimum of 2 1/4" to 2 1/2", this is my personal preference others will probably differ.

Come in Don Ferrette, oh mystro of the 1/8th scale hydros, help me out here

Hi Les

Welcome to 1/8th scale boating, first off I prefer a flat bottomed strut, Octura is a good one when you can find them, Speedmaster also makes a good flat bottomed strut and an excelent rudder asm as well. Haven't seen one but I beleive Harry Gatjens makes a very nice stainless steel strut also. The strut is mounted center-line of the hull far enough in from the transom so that a straight edge can be held against the transon and the very back edge of the drive-dog may come in contact with that edge. For the Rudder I prefer mine on the left or port side of the transom, it keeps it out of the turbulance of the turn fin and always in "clean water", I usually space mine approx 66% of the distance of the left 1/2 width of the transon from the centerline. (ie if total transon is 14" 14/2= 7 x .66= 4.62 or 4 5/8 approx) and I also space the front edge of the rudder back from the transon a minimum of 2 1/4" to 2 1/2", this is my personal preference others will probably differ.

Not me who makes the strurts, rather Gary Jensen.

http://gatjens.com/hardware/

If you want to build an Atlas, the guy to talk to is Don Mock. Three time RCU Champion owner and builder of all the 1979 through Atlas Van Lines hydros, Crew Chief on the rebuilding of the real 1982 Atlas Van Lines

http://82atlas.com

And maker of two videos on how to construct a scale hydro.

[email protected]

Gee Harry, Not only do you specialize in mounting scale wings (was it the "Gatjens Method" or "Gatjens Style"?), but now you also produce strut hardware! :p :blink: :lol: hahaha

You Go Buddy!

Gee Harry, Not only do you specialize in mounting scale wings (was it the "Gatjens Method" or "Gatjens Style"?), but now you also produce strut hardware! :p :blink: :lol: hahaha

You Go Buddy!
He is also in adds on ebay for the Bud for auction, Just never knew how much Harry got around.

Hi Les

Many thanks to you, and Mr. Gatjens for the help.

Les

Back