Sport .12 hydro class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I'm getting that Delta Force Vortex to see how it does. Going through my head to figure out how to put everything in it as I'd like to keep the exhaust under the hatch but may have to keep the radio gear in there without a box. No big deal there as I'd Aero-Plate all of it anyway.

Here's what it will look like if you're interested: http://www.deltaforce-hk.com/vortex.html except I ordered it in yellow. Steve at Offshore Eelectrics can get other colors but it would take 8 weeks to get. He has red, white and of course yellow in stock. I've seen them in dark blue, tangerine and the lime green.

I'd like to see more shots of yours as it progresses.

I was just reading through the September Roostertail and saw a proposal from Glenn Quarles about creating a Sport .12 (A) class.The question is could this be the class to get the use of .12's going? Could it be an alternative for the RTR hydro's that might want to drop down from a .15 or .18?

Unfortunately the "A" mono and outrigger classes haven't taken off like some of would have like to have seen.

Is it time for me to build another .12 nitro boat?

Some hulls are already out there, either a RTR boat or some that were made for FE's that can easily be converted.

Glenn, you know that I've got your back on this as I love running my .12 boats. They're a lot more fun than what we should be allowed to have for the size and price. Let me know if I've found this winter's boat project!
If you read the first line its an idea not a proposal big difference. With so many RTR boats the 18 class is gaining steam i dont think the 12 will build as fast as its easier to just go get a Pro Boat or Aqua Craft and run ..........
Mikey Mikey, This organization, needs something new. and im all for the .12 class Idea or proposal makes no differance. inexpensive, and FUN to run Theres nothing wrong in trying to add a .12 or A sport or outrigger hydro class. Its great some clubs offer the RTR class. But as for myself im building 2 12 boats A hydro & A sport hydro. Cudos Glenn I hope it comes to a proposal and a vote. I VOTE YES.

Your very Evil Twin

I'm just hoping that any "A" class will take off and maybe this is the one that could do it. I built my first "A" mono probably a good 8 years ago and that class never really saw the light of day. "A" hydro is still getting it's feet off the ground. An attempt at an ABS class really went nowhere. It could be what's needed is to see a few in action to get others thinking about getting their own for a change of pace.

I can tell you this for sure. Charles purdue has one of the quickest 12 outriggers out there. its running in the mid 50s and has alot left. I would bet he could run with the B hydros if he could drive. :lol: Sorry charles had 2 get that in there. I just hope something becomes of this whatever boat be it sport hydro outrigger, or even Cat. it would be great for the hobby in my opinion. ARE YOU LISENING BILL Z.

Tom

I've been running these for a few years and they are definitely fun. A smaller course would be good. Even for some .21 classes , 6 laps on a regulation course seems like a long time.

Ron,.. I've looked at that boat a couple times. I love it. I may try to get one built this winter.

I can tell you this for sure. Charles purdue has one of the quickest 12 outriggers out there. its running in the mid 50s and has alot left. I would bet he could run with the B hydros if he could drive. :lol: Sorry charles had 2 get that in there. I just hope something becomes of this whatever boat be it sport hydro outrigger, or even Cat. it would be great for the hobby in my opinion. ARE YOU LISENING BILL Z.
Tom
If you keep talking about me like that, I will stop letting you sniff the GLUE POT. :p

If there is such a thing as plans for a sport 12 boat or even plans for a sport 20 scaled down I would be willing to try building one. I would even race mine in the sport 20 class. Remember if you have a .12 boat bring to all the races and race it anyway you can, the boat needs to be seen so people can gain interest. My example would be I raced the B hydros all last season with my A Hydro, and this season I raced my A hydro in the unlimited class at Nats ( Alot of people see my little boat and think its pretty nice).

Paul

If there is such a thing as plans for a sport 12 boat or even plans for a sport 20 scaled down I would be willing to try building one. I would even race mine in the sport 20 class. Remember if you have a .12 boat bring to all the races and race it anyway you can, the boat needs to be seen so people can gain interest. My example would be I raced the B hydros all last season with my A Hydro, and this season I raced my A hydro in the unlimited class at Nats ( Alot of people see my little boat and think its pretty nice).

Paul
Following are some plans I've come across over the years. I can't comment on the suitability of any of them for conversion to glow, or even how well they run...

Dave Frank Oberto - This is a tiny bit too long based Glenn's proposed rules, but it's pretty close. I think I recall some discussions about this or another boat talking about widening it a bit to help with stability. I have these plans, a set of laser cut balsa framework, and a plastic cowl.

Electric Unlimited Hydro - On the shorter side of the specs, but if you're into the classic look.

Garry Finlay 1/16 Atlas - I have these plans, balsa framework and cowl too. It's a tiny bit too short, would have to be enlarged a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is automatic, just like this idea. Let's see the consistent turn out in quantity before we jump and add yet another class. Make your presence felt consistently at events throughout next season then we can talk seriously about it. Nothing prevents clubs from adding a specialty class like this at races to give it exposure. Sport 20 was supposed to be HUGE the way some yapped about it in the beginning yet it has only pockets of popularity at best in the IMPBA. As has been said, this is only an idea put forth, not a proposal, so you've got time to prove it worthy (or not) of consideration of becoming a class. Actions speak louder than words, if you want it then prove it's worth, it's just that simple..............

Sport 20 was supposed to be HUGE

Don, I know exactly what you are saying here, I watched with interest last year, down here in Florida.

The district had plent of the sport 20's show up last year, at enough races to make it a points class for this year.

So, over the winter, spent a TON of money putting one together,,,,,,,,,,, For nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only had a chance to run it in SPORT-20 at one race this year, and 2 of the 4 that made the class were from New York??????????????????

So, as a matter a fact, just finished painting mine today to put it on the CHOPPING block.

Rick

Tom I already have my 'A' Hydro patch for 60 mph using Gary Preusse's little rigger. Plus yo ushould see David Hall / Rod Gerhaty's little 'A' mono scoot David is using his .12 power plant with the grear drive from his 'A' Outboard tunnel hull, that also scoots very nicely. Tom you just have to get out and travel to see some of the different set up being used outside of Jackson. You and Charles need to come on over for Huntsvilles up coming October Records trial Oct. 10-12, 2009 Pack your truck and come on over.

Tom

Good news and bad news. My Sport 12 hull and some hardware showed up today. That's the good news. The bad is that I was up running with Waltr when it showed up and the wife didn't know it was coming. :eek:

The hull is light but it's going to need some reinforcement as it is flexible.

Well, I finally got some work done on mine yesterday and more today. Some work was already done like the Octura strut, Speedmaster mini-rudder and Grimracer MV turn fin installed. The turn fin looks huge on it so if I feel the need to go smaller I have another that I can cut down and modify to fit on the bracket.

A pre-Aquacraft Grimracer 4 oz. fuel cell was put in and some carbon fiber angle engine rails and servo mounts were fabbed up but not glued in place yet. An old block was used to mock things up for now until I get a NR to drop in there.

http://www.dropshots.com/RonOlson#date/2003-01-05/07:04:42

http://www.dropshots.com/RonOlson#date/2003-01-05/07:04:29

Well, I finally got some work done on mine yesterday and more today. Some work was already done like the Octura strut, Speedmaster mini-rudder and Grimracer MV turn fin installed. The turn fin looks huge on it so if I feel the need to go smaller I have another that I can cut down and modify to fit on the bracket.A pre-Aquacraft Grimracer 4 oz. fuel cell was put in and some carbon fiber angle engine rails and servo mounts were fabbed up but not glued in place yet. An old block was used to mock things up for now until I get a NR to drop in there.

http://www.dropshots.com/RonOlson#date/2003-01-05/07:04:42

http://www.dropshots.com/RonOlson#date/2003-01-05/07:04:29
Ron, that sounds good. Post some pictures!

I have to get my new Dark Horse finished up...there are going to be several of them around here.

Glenn

Glenn, I did post some links but the same shots are now in the IW Gallery: https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...cat=0&pos=0.

Just taking a lunch break now and about to head back down to do some more on it. Before coming up I put in a water exit fitting (pop rivet minus that nail thing). The gluing down of the engine rails is up next.

Looking good Terry. OK, there's now at least 2 here in Michigan!
Thanks Ron. That one is the plug. I'll be molding it for glass. The plan was N2 sport or power it with the Aquacraft electric combo from the UL1 or the SV. There's a lot of gene splicing that went into this one. Some Whip looking shapes and some sponsons that Buass helped me with. Thanks again Brian. I just thought it was about the size you guys would be looking for. Might work.

An H&M Viper or a Lifter might work really well. What about a Campbell shovel? Nice little boats too. Go like stink on 2s LiPo power.

Terry, let me know when you start popping hulls out of the mold, I really like it! The DF Vortex I feel is just a bit small for the .12 engine but I'll have to wait for the spring thaw to find out. The water is a little on the dense side right now.

The water is a little on the dense side right now.
Haha Us too! I think it's 11 out right now.

We have a couple Vortex in our club. They run great but they are a touch small. Same thing with my Viper Turbine. I won a ton of races with it. Even won nationals with it a few years ago. It just can't go where I want to take it anymore. Inspiration for the Joule. There really isn't anything out there that is about this size. The Vacupickle is 26" I think. That would work. Those are pretty stable. Easy drivers too.

Back