Servos for an 1/8 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f41stryker

Okay, I'm gonna start ordering my electronics and wanted to see what the ballpark recommendation for servos is?

Steering-how much torque?

Throttle-was thinking of going with a mini-servo if possible, what kind of torque oz?

3rd channel needle-what kind of servo would fit this application?

Brands would be good also, was thinking of using Futaba but I'm sure their steering servo would be pricey so anyone care to comment? Thanks, Chris

Okay, I'm gonna start ordering my electronics and wanted to see what the ballpark recommendation for servos is?

Throttle-was thinking of going with a mini-servo if possible, what kind of torque oz?

Brands would be good also, was thinking of using Futaba but I'm sure their steering servo would be pricey so anyone care to comment? Thanks, Chris
You can spend a little or a lot for servos Steering HiTec mg 645 works well but you can get the Jr 8711 for twice the money or more. Id use a 645 and a pair of 225s if you have room. Mini servos just wont take much punishment in the long run. You using a front side or rear box? My new build will have the long side box with a transom exhaust. Seems we are biulding the exact same boat 2000 bud

Futaba- 9405 for steering, 3002 for throttle, 3102 for 3rd channel needle control, 5 cell 6 volt nimh battery pack 2000mah minimum. B)

I use the JR 8611a for both throttle and steering. Overkill for throttle, but you only need carry one kind of spare so the price works about the same as having two different servos. With this being your first boat, any savings in weight by using a smaller servo for throttle is inconsequencial.

These come with a 3 year warranty and are almost indestructable. They work with either Airtronics or Futaba radios. One thing for certain, don't put a lot of time and money in building a boat and cheap out on the radio. It's not worth saving a few bucks to see your boat run off and into the beach.

This guys sells them for $99 each.

JR Servo

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing for certain, don't put a lot of time and money in building a boat and cheap out on the radio. It's not worth saving a few bucks to see your boat run off and into the beach.
Can I get an AMEN!!! Regardless of the brand you choose THIS statement from Harry is tops!! B)

I use Bluebird servo's: A micro BMS 373MG for the throttle and a 14kg torque BMS630MG for steering. Blue bird servo's are high quality and affordable priced PLUS they give a warranty of a year. I use them in my 1/8 scale hydroplane, Fast electric cat and my 1/8 scale buggy without problems.

Back