Scale Prop Sizes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

What are most of you guys running for props? 2 or 3 blades? 1455, ABC? I have a pretty good selection but looking to fill in the holes.

What hull are you running,, what weight are you working with, what power plant, what pipe.

in my experience (limited) as it is X460/2 X462/2 Prather S255,, if your down on power or working with a heavy boat X455/2 or 3 X457/2 or 3 or a Prather S250

14 series props if you feel you need a lifting prop, and X460/3 has a good bit of lift also

I have also been told an ABC 52X64 works real well.

What hull are you running,, what weight are you working with, what power plant, what pipe. in my experience (limited) as it is X460/2 X462/2 Prather S255,, if your down on power or working with a heavy boat X455/2 or 3 X457/2 or 3 or a Prather S250 14 series props if you feel you need a lifting prop, and X460/3 has a good bit of lift also I have also been told an ABC 52X64 works real well.
Very good info.

Chris,

We have been having great results with reduced X-460/3's or ABC 2316/3's.

If your a Prather guy a 245 or a 250 would be good choices.

Have Fun Testing Chris,

Mark Sholund

I think a lot of it has to do with what your boat likes and don't like. I''ve been through 5 props and still haven't found a happy prop. It's close though. It seems the modern day boats like 3 bladed props.

I run a picco motor and I like the pitched up prather 245. lots of rpm's and smooth in the ruff. some hulls like 2 blades and some

3 blades. just keep trying different wheels until you are comfortable with the speed and the turning.testing is half the fun!!
default_biggrin.png

I run a picco motor and I like the pitched up prather 245. lots of rpm's and smooth in the ruff. some hulls like 2 blades and some

3 blades. just keep trying different wheels until you are comfortable with the speed and the turning.testing is half the fun!!
default_biggrin.png
where you been Mikey????? miss ya.

We have a Grand Prix race coming up in ATL in July,, come play with us.

I'm not angling for ultimate speed, but I've had consistent performance from Octura X455/X457 and Prather 245/250. I tried the Octura 1457 and all I got was cavitation.

What hull are you running Jim? I have a Bert T-Plus twin wing, it really likes a S/b 457, I am working on getting some reduced 460 props to try. I have also tried the 2316 props, a couple of variations actually, but can't seem to get the boat up on plane

Wayne,

The 2316 prop needs a lot of cup added to get the boat to plane. A stock blade won't hold enough water on the blade to get the boat on plane. There's not a lot blade area that why they have added cupped to hold the water on the blade. A cut down X460 will do the job great. You can reduce the blade area and add some cup to tune your prop to what the motor and hull wants. A good starting point is around 58 mm diameter and 4.5" of cup. You can add cup after you see how the boat runs.

Remember Pipe type, length, engine load, fuel and hull set-up all play a large part in being able to pull a certain prop.

FYI Mark Sholund (Props-4-U) does all my race props for my two wing.

Also Doug Shepherd has help me with motor and hull set-up.

Can't do this without help from others.

Happy Testing

Bert Dygert

It is a Jones hull. I just added a pic of it to my gallery. Seems to be a well built wof hull. Needs a little tlc. Boat had no hardware on it. I'm still setting up the rudder and servo. Wont make the Ford/Motor City Race. Maybe the next one...

If anybody recognizes the boat and is willing to share info I'm open to comments

Miss Rock Band.jpg

Chris,

Those MHR108 hulls seem to like Prather props. I would start with a 250 Prather prop. Steve Peterson/Shepherd hulls like the Prather 250 props.

Regards,

Bert Dygert

It is a Jones hull. I just added a pic of it to my gallery. Seems to be a well built wof hull. Needs a little tlc. Boat had no hardware on it. I'm still setting up the rudder and servo. Wont make the Ford/Motor City Race. Maybe the next one...

If anybody recognizes the boat and is willing to share info I'm open to comments
I built, painted and ran that boat in it's present form...

I sold it to someone out in Washington state quit a few years back.. he purchased it complete (less engine & pipe) had to later sell him the carb adapter plate I used to rotate the OS9B carb 90* for the STBD side radio box.

History of the boat, boat was originally built and raced by Gus Johnson in Florida as the U-4 Charlies Girl I think the boat was given to a gent named Carl Ring of Florida,, had many issues with the hull, so never really ran well for him,, hull disappeared for awhile, and I was asking questions about the Charlies Girl graphics, one of my club mates (Steve Guiltieri (SP) at the time said I have an old hull that was that livery,, I'll bring it to the lake for me to look at... got the info I needed, and Steve proceeded to throw the hull in the trash can (it was pretty beat up at that time) was told it lost radio going down the back chute at full song, hit the bacnk at the end of the pond and wrapped itself around a tree..

I removed it from the trash can and stated I would rebuild it,,, it's a piece of RC history and shouldn't be thrown away!

Took awhile,, raced it as a sport-X for a bit the redid the paint to what it is now...

If running a CMB67 Green head the hull should run a Prather S250 or S255 with bar cut relief at the hub.

If you would like to talk about the boat I'll PM you my cell#

Hey Chris,

Just for the sake of being Correct - the hull is of MHR 7704, original hull Designed by Don Sooy, not a Jones hull. From scratch, WOF hull built by Gus Johnson, Stuart Florida in about 1986. Gus built two U-4s. Hull originally raced as U-4 No Name. The first race I saw it race was the 1989 NAMBA Nats in Camarillo, CA. Gus raced both of these hulls with OPS 67s until he gave both hulls away in 1998 - ready to race. Gus built and raced both of these hulls with a solid shaft running an Octura X457/3.

• The 1978 U-4 Mark & Pak livery was given to Carl Ring. The hull didn't perform well for Carl because he changed everything that had worked on that hull for a good number of years. Carl modified the engine, changed the rudder assembly, turn fin, and everything else that could be done to foul up a good race boat - and it never recovered..
  • The second hull in the U-4 Century 21 livery was given to Luann Willis. Luann sold it to a Florida boater that later moved to TN. Ray bought the boat from this man I believe. I believe Ray Kindred in Florida still has and races this hull as Century 21 after some changes and upgrades by Gus' racing partner for over 20 years - Jack St. Clair
  • The only request attached to these two gifts were that both these hulls were to be raced at the 1999 Winter Nats.

An inept modeler attempted to repair the hull after it's confrontation with previously mentioned tree mentioned by Rick. I, as Gus' son, wanted the boat to receive a Viking Funeral when we heard of the condition it was in.

Rick's restoration of this hull was very well done. It should have become a piece of history, and remained in Florida where it belongs.

What does the hull weigh now Chris?? CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Gus at Palm Bay.jpg

Gus' Mark & Pak.JPG

Gus' U-4 Mark & Pak #2.JPG

Gus' Century 21.JPG

Gus' U-4 No Name.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Bob I just weighed the hull (less motor, pipe, rudder and driveshaft) seems to be a tick over 11-1/2 pounds. Much of that is from the cowl which is pretty well built. Needs a little tlc from the stress cracks. I've got a torquey OPS I plan to set-up the boat on and a box of props. I have the Octura stuff covered. A couple Prather 250/255's may be on the horizon.

Finding out who built the boat never actually crossed my mind. It is really great to learn all this history of the hull. I am really pumped to get the thing wet now. Almost like a double-dog dare...

I was looking for a rudder bracket to fit the hull, the drilled configuration was not common. But West System and Speedmaster has remedied that.

Well Bob I just weighed the hull (less motor, pipe, rudder and driveshaft) seems to be a tick over 11-1/2 pounds. Much of that is from the cowl which is pretty well built. Needs a little tlc from the stress cracks. I've got a torquey OPS I plan to set-up the boat on and a box of props. I have the Octura stuff covered. A couple Prather 250/255's may be on the horizon.

Finding out who built the boat never actually crossed my mind. It is really great to learn all this history of the hull. I am really pumped to get the thing wet now. Almost like a double-dog dare...

I was looking for a rudder bracket to fit the hull, the drilled configuration was not common. But West System and Speedmaster has remedied that.
Buoy Hunter (Chris)

Sorry I haven't replied to your PM,,, we are in the middle of a 4 room tile job,, pretty much eating up my weekends..

I was going to suggest doing something different with the cowl,, the dummy engine area DID come out way too heavy,,

And Bob's history lesson was correct,, I forgot it was the Tri Cities Mark & Pak Not the Charlies Girl

The rudder assembly I had built the boat with was either Speedmaster or SeaDucer,, both the same footprint

We will talk when I have a chance

Oh Yeh BTW an OPS will NOT throw a 255,, Maybe a 250 but dought it I'd start with an X455/3 or X457/2 maybe a prather 245 Lemme look in my box I may have one I can loan you.

Old Submarine Officer's memory is just better than MKC's Rick - Har, Har !!!

11 1/2# less engine, pipe and shaft powered by an OPS will be a challenge. My scratch, WOF U-4 with an OPS 67 OPS 80 slide carb, 16 oz of fuel, in 1997 weighed 12 1/2 pounds ready to race, less fuel. Flex shaft running a X457 and a MACS muffled Marine tuned pipe at about 12" from center cylinder to high point of pipe running 40 % Nitro fuel from Lakeside Racing.

Rick has that hull now with CMB 67 now. Loving calles "The Olde Brown Dawg!!!" CHEERS !!! Bob

U-4-1 Radio Box 1.jpg

hi rickie,have been busy with work and putting my drag motor back together. we broke it last year and its costing me about $9,000

to get it back together!
default_sad.png
have played alittle with the boats and R/C cars when there is a min or 2
default_wacko.png
. i also crew for a friends car. i would love to come to a race but time is VERY LITTLE to be had. i might be able to go to the charleston race but it all depends on the time frame with the big motor. give me a shout on my cell. 917-751-7002. please tell all i said hi. mikie.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi rickie,have been busy with work and putting my drag motor back together. we broke it last year and its costing me about $9,000

to get it back together!
default_sad.png
have played alittle with the boats and R/C cars when there is a min or 2
default_wacko.png
. i also crew for a friends car. i would love to come to a race but time is VERY LITTLE to be had. i might be able to go to the charleston race but it all depends on the time frame with the big motor. give me a shout on my cell. 917-751-7002. please tell all i said hi. mikie.
CALM DOWN Squirrel, glad to hear you well..................==={}

Back