Rules for servo types

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

In the racing organizations is there a rule about using metal geared servos for rudder control. I thought I read that in some rules at one time. I know it sounds like a dumb question. Looked in Nambe rule book and didn't see anything.

It's more of an unwritten rule to use metal geared hi torque servos on the rudder and an servo large enough to handle the throttle so that you have control of your boat at all times. One thing you have to remember is that what may work on one boat won't work on another. Many(me included) have used Futaba 3305s 100oz-in servos, or the equivalent thereof, for their rudder on scale boats. For some reason, they aren't strong enough to work with my 2000 Elam. I've had to upgrade to a servo with twice the torque to turn it reliably

Metal, Never go into combat without it
default_smile.png
. Last month I sent a P.M. to Bill Brant(All RC on this forum). He was selling a couple different brands of servos(he is a dealer), I asked what was the best- not the cheapest. He recommended the Airtronics 94851 MG to replace my ageing 94358 MG Analog Servos that I was very fond of. The 94358 was a 200 Oz.-inch @6V. and the 94851 delivers 192 Oz.-inch @ 6V. Best thing about the deal the newer digitals are around half the price of the older analog servos. Like Robert said don't go cheap- servos cost less than new boats.

Back