Rudders

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGutsell

Hi Guys

I've decided to put a new rudder on my 1/8 scall Miss cellular one. Can you guys tell me what the curent state of the the art for Rudders is?

I've been looking at the Speed master units but am a little leary of the fact they put the rudder 2 /14 inches back from the Transom. I don't know any different but some people say that closer to the tansom is better.

Water pick up rudders seem popular, are the double pickup units as effective?

Are there better options?

Cheers

Bob

Bob,

I'm using the speedmaster unit with good results on three different boats. I machine it down to 1" aft of transom. Options are pretty limited otherwise.

Single water p/u is a plenty with my setup, unless your plumbing is extensive. I cool the header and head.

good luck

gh

Bob,
I'm using the speedmaster unit with good results on three different boats. I machine it down to 1" aft of transom. Options are pretty limited otherwise.

Single water p/u is a plenty with my setup, unless your plumbing is extensive. I cool the header and head.

good luck

gh
I agree with gh, speedmaster mounting brackets can be shortened and re -drilled up to about 1 1/8 inches. I use single pick up rudders with an auxilary water pick up(only because I'm paranoid one hole may get plugged and leave me with no cooling at all). I think scale boats look more realistic with the rudder close to the transom and removing a little weight from the bracket won't hurt. I've heard closer is better and I KNOW lighter is better. Good luck, Glenn

Bob,

good luck

gh
I agree with gh, speedmaster mounting brackets can be shortened and re -drilled up to about 1 1/8 inches. I use single pick up rudders with an auxilary water pick up(only because I'm paranoid one hole may get plugged and leave me with no cooling at all). I think scale boats look more realistic with the rudder close to the transom and removing a little weight from the bracket won't hurt. I've heard closer is better and I KNOW lighter is better. Good luck, Glenn
Bob, Just noticed Rocket City Racing sells complete speedmaster rudders that put the blade 1 1/8 from the transom or just the transom bracket it's self if you already have a speedmaster rudder(with the longer bracket). Complete rudder assy. around 39.00/transom bracket only 7.50-check their website. Good luck, Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I've bought a marine specialties rudder assembly. It's half the price of the speedmaster unit and upon receiving it I'd venture that it's also about half the quality. But I'll clean it up and give it a whirl anyway.

I'd also seen that Speedmaster have just done a version of their rudder with a 1 1/8th" bracket on their website. Oh well, I need a new rudder for my sport 40 as well, so I may just relegate the marine speciaties unit to the sport 40 and get a speedmaster unit for the big boat.

Thanks to everyone for their help with this.

Cheers

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the rudder assembly from Lenny Blake @ Rumracing.com Its close to the transome and works well on my sport 60 and sport 40. The blade is drilled on both sides for water pick up so theres no starvation when turning either way. Greg

Back