pipe under the cowl question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

i'm setting up a super sport 45 and with a stealth cowl and nee advice about running the pipe out the transom.the boat will have a mac 45 with a parabolic pipe. what degree header should i be using and what is the best way to secure the stinger end of the pipe? any pics of your setups would be great. thanks in advance carl

10deg header works fine.

As afr as mounting, we mount an angle aluminum to the inside of the tub and use a "P" clamp, some call them cushion clamps.

Also to make the extension tube I have been making a tube using a piece of aluminum pipe and wrap epoxy/cloth around it make it of the appropriate size and epoxy it to the transom. light, strong, heat doesn't bother it.

Rick

does the extension need to be clamped to the pipe or can it just be a press type fit? i like your idea about the epoxy style extension. i'll try and make one tomorrow thanks carl

It doesn't really need to be sealed,

Just stick the stinger into the epoxy tube, and the exhaust will exit through it

remember to make the epoxy tube over sized, I think my ID for 45 sized pipes is around 5/8" make it too small & it acts like a stinger, making tuning the engine a bear

When you get ready to lay up on the aluminum pipe, wrap you pipe with wax paper, to make it easy to remove once cured

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
hey rick , thanks for the great advice . i got the tube made and now i'm wondering about the header pipe connection. some guys in my distric that run the mac motor with parabolic pipe enlarge the pipe so the header slides inside the pipe. my question is if i go that route the angle the pipe might not be right to exit where the hole is drilled in the transom. or should i cut the header and let the coupler take some of the angle ? i hope that makes sense. thanks carl

hey rick , thanks for the great advice . i got the tube made and now i'm wondering about the header pipe connection. some guys in my distric that run the mac motor with parabolic pipe enlarge the pipe so the header slides inside the pipe. my question is if i go that route the angle the pipe might not be right to exit where the hole is drilled in the transom. or should i cut the header and let the coupler take some of the angle ? i hope that makes sense. thanks carl
You can cut the header right at the part that goes in the back of the motor and fit it then get it welded to the right angle.

Back