Phil thomas 45 and mac 45.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

What are the issues regarding fuel supply or lack there of when using the tank in the sponson and a sump or 1 oz helper tank near the engine or carb.

I was told that the mac 45 would not draw the fuel well enough or the pipe would not create enough pressure.I forget it's been a while since i was told this.

Do you guys know what the issue is.I was looking at going with a front Box and tank in the sponson like have seen so many do.

This gives me more weight in the nose (where i prefer it) and the pipe will not hit the radio box lid like it had been doing for the previous owner.

I need a new box either way so i figured start fresh and be done with it.I have a dented metal tank that was in the front which i have no idea if it leaks or not.She has a pretty good size wow in her. :D

I have had the best luck with the single tank system in front of the engines and no sump :(

Terry

I may have told you that about the Mac. 5 dns at the Internats changed my setup to a front tank.

Anyone have a good setup for the Mac 45 and side tanks??

Ran mine on Wed with side tank, although it's not a Mac, I run my boats on the rich side. No fuel draw problems. Walt Barney custom made the tank to my specs. B) B)

Ran mine on Wed with side tank, although it's not a Mac, I run my boats on the rich side. No fuel draw problems. Walt Barney custom made the tank to my specs. B) B)
I think the Mac does not draw as well as the others. My Picco has a tank under the right deck and a sump tank behind the motor mount on the same side. Might have made more sense to put it under the left but i wanted to keep lines to a minimum. My picco runs fine with this setup. Using larger lines may help your situation or just go with the front tank and the longer skinny radio box............. For my money transom exhaust is best for exhaust Mike

Dont have a supersport 40 you know that.LOL But really cant see why it wouldnt work.Wheather there side front or middle tanks.I have used 3 tanks once in a offshore race and didnt have any problems.Not sure why you had a problem but being a MAC i dont think was the issue.I seen Peter with his MAC 45 was giving him problems like that where he taped the tank on the deck of boat.He had a rubber stopper coming apart.I think the 5/32 tubing would help on the side to side and large fuel hose.I know my 45 cmb in my mono i use 5/32 line and large fuel hose to keep it fed.Just a thought.

Dont have a supersport 40 you know that.LOL But really cant see why it wouldnt work.Wheather there side front or middle tanks.I have used 3 tanks once in a offshore race and didnt have any problems.Not sure why you had a problem but being a MAC i dont think was the issue.I seen Peter with his MAC 45 was giving him problems like that where he taped the tank on the deck of boat.He had a rubber stopper coming apart.I think the 5/32 tubing would help on the side to side and large fuel hose.I know my 45 cmb in my mono i use 5/32 line and large fuel hose to keep it fed.Just a thought.
Yea I tried all that and more I think I even had one of my Cmb in it too. So I gave up and did the front tank.

Yea I tried all that and more I think I even had one of my Cmb in it too. So I gave up and did the front tank.
Gotta wonder why you would answer a post not even having what we are talking about. All boats have silly quirks and it seems the mac dont like to draw when you have too much line involved. Phil saw my setup with a picco and said he could not get his to work with the mac. So i guess unless you try bigger lines you need to run the front tank. I like my radio gear up front so if needed i still have good c/g on lap 5 in case i need to run wide open to try to win.......

I had a sport 40 once i didnt like the double tank i had one in the front.Mine had a cmb in it also.In my mind cant see why it wouldnt work.If you have pressure from the pipe that should let the fuel flow on its own.I dont buy the MAC dont draw theory.

I had a sport 40 once i didnt like the double tank i had one in the front.Mine had a cmb in it also.In my mind cant see why it wouldnt work.If you have pressure from the pipe that should let the fuel flow on its own.I dont buy the MAC dont draw theory.
Well it probally just my MAC and setup the problem.

Just Installed a new CMB HR in a friends sport40 with a side tank so we will see how that goes for him.

The reason i wanted the box up front was for less change when the fuel got low and some added weight to that area from the radio gear.

I have removed the cunards and built in the tunnel mods permanently with foam lite ply and epoxy.

I am abit concerned about blow offs without adding weight which I am trying to avoid.

I though I may have blow off issues with the rear box.

I built my pt 20 with rear box and had to use stick on weights on the sponson tips to hold it down.They take away from the look of the boat but work perfectly.My hull was the enclosed version so I could not get the weights inside and up front.

Terry

Hey Phil I'd be glad to take that non drawing MAC45 off your hands for my sport 40 project with a side tank. :D
I dont think you could pry that motor away from Phil. Terry i have the new style SS45 and need a little wing or weight to keep her down.

I am rebuilding this one with no cunards /wings .If i need weight with this one atleast the sponsons are open and i van get it to the tips from the inside and out of sight...

I was figuring front box and tank in the side would lessen the amount of weight .the more i ask the more i get confused.

Phil could i get some pics of your front tank rear radio box setup.

[email protected]

Thanks

I am rebuilding this one with no cunards /wings .If i need weight with this one atleast the sponsons are open and i van get it to the tips from the inside and out of sight...
I was figuring front box and tank in the side would lessen the amount of weight .the more i ask the more i get confused.

Phil could i get some pics of your front tank rear radio box setup.

[email protected]

Thanks
Terry I am running a side tank with a front radio box and a Picco black head and it runs great. I will post pics tonight

Back