New 2012 Sport 40's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joe,

Nice to see that there will be another wood frame hull available for Sport 40. Those are some busy sponson bottoms. Now what we need is someone to make a couple cowls that are not Phil's Stealth, Blazer, and the AC hulls_ PLEASE !!!!!!! I'm ready for a change of view. Carve one out of Styrofoam - glass outside, hog out inside and glass it too. Another benefit - Instant, internal flotation. Maybe Steve can shrink some 1/8th cowls.

I saw the post about Scale and Sport 40 now not being a High Points Class. You, Rick and I leave and the place goes to Hades!!! Same thing here in Texas - - little to no Scale or Sport 40s. Guess we'll just have to muster in Charleston in May. CHEERS !!! Bob
BOB: Saw your pics on your new Thunderboat . Shortys BQ came out beautiful. Was Shortys scratch built or plans? What paint did you use? Let me know how it runs. Dan McCormick NAMBA 221

What are the little holes areond the outside of the skins?
top hat pins to keep the deck secure, removed after epoxy cures, one piece of ply pulled in 3 or 4 directions make the ply want to pop up, I tape most other places.

Nothing worse than to find the next day that a pin, clamp or tape didnt hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the little holes areond the outside of the skins?
top hat pins to keep the deck secure, removed after epoxy cures, one piece of ply pulled in 3 or 4 directions make the ply want to pop up, I tape most other places.

Nothing worse than to find the next day that a pin, clamp or tape didnt hold.
Kewl.

You'd know fur shur, you've built more wood boats than anyone I know! ^_^

Joe, do you have a picture of these "top hat pins?"
Rodney, old school me, they look like a top hats or push pins also, I hammer them in to the main frames , really helps keep the deck in place, front to back and side to side, these sport 40's start with a piece of ply 40" long x 8" wide.

I also do both decks in the same period (min 4hrs), one side, pinned and taped, upside down for 2 hrs, the the other side, upside down for 2 hrs ( I want any glue applied for the deck to be on the underside of the deck not the bottom of the hull).

THEN, when everything is still kind of flexible, I lay the hull upright, making sure the sponsons and the transom are all laying flat, weight it down equally for the night, then have a good stiff drink.

the plastic pins are cheap, most break when removing, its hard to find the older aluminum ones, and in some cases, the extra long ones come in handy.

ah, ok! I know what your talking about after seeing the picture. I didnt know if they were some special kind of pin or something. Just a standard bullitin board push pin :p Thanks Joe! I never even thought about doing it this way. I just did a sport 20 deck, and it was a PITA. I ended up ripping it back off half way through setting up, because part of the tape let loose and let it pop up. I pushed it off to the side and let it set for a good couple weeks. :lol: :lol: :lol: I will remember this idea, would likely make it much easier!

How Joe, Those look great! I like that push pin idea...I'm gonna have to steal that idea from you! Mike

Its still amazes me you took the 8200 kit and turned it into those masterpieces! Great work Joe! Mike

They would have looked better if they said chevy lol just kidding. Simply beautiful work Joe.

wow Joe...

these boats look so great, good work...teach me how to paint sometime...hadda hard time getting the clear to lay down as good as yours did (not used to my new hvlp gun)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back