Need pics of 1972 U-7 Notre Dame

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'72 ND, beautiful boat. hard to find good photos of that one for your purposes. there are various angle views and distance photos like the one in the UD photo archive.

unlimited news journal had a great 3 part series about the '69 - '72 ND boats with a front cover B/W photo of the boat on tilt trailer that is exactly what you need. don't have the exact back issue dates handy but contact bob senior or michael prophet at UNJ for order info.

look at the art print at hydroartprints.com for excellent side profile view. the model websites like rcunlimiteds.org, electricthunder.org and e-rcu.org have some great photos of excellent scale models that will give you the alignment views that will help.

do you have the newton 108 paint sheet ?

there's a beautiful overhead view photo of the '72 ND, possibly taken at madison, somewhere on the web but can't find it at the moment. i'll post if i find it.

the ND's are my all time favorites.

the feb - mar - april 2005 issues of UNJ have the 3 part ND series. feb and mar issues are mostly about the '69 karelsen. the april issue has the front cover photo of the '72 on tilt. pretty good view looking forward from rear, most of the deck is visible.

more photos in the article. photos are b / w but clearly show the stripes and number locations. you know the colors.

still looking for that overhead view of the boat on the water.

Well I don't exactly know the colors White of course and I matched the blue that was in the hull. I hope it's right. I can't find clear views of the lettering for Notre Dame. Man it's hard to find good photos.

yes, it's hard to find good photos of the '72. i'm still looking for a certain overhead picture but my memory is wearing out. i lost a lot of my hydro photo collection gathered from internet. but many models of this boat have been built and the ones i've seen look like a standard glossy white and royal blue.

here are the IMRON paint codes from Roger's 108 paint sheet : 55769U WHITE and 5535 BLUE

i suggest you get a copy of the 108 paint sheet from David Newton for correct location and alignment of the graphics and trim. get the graphics from an experienced guy like mike gossler at PGI and match the paint with the blue U-7's. the krylon royal blue will be close enough, imo.

just curious, did you build a wood hull from the Newton drawings ? a Borden / Muck glass hull ? Troy Mac Intyre hull ?

i'm not a scale builder and certainly not a painter but have found that KRYLON and DUPLICOLOR spray can paints offer just about any color you might want. any automotive clear coat should work. unless you're an expert painter or having it done by a pro don't bother with the expensive paints. just my opinion.

i have not built the '72 ND but used enlarged 108 plans for a gas sport hydro. had planned on using a steve muck scale 108 cowling but too much trouble

for me fitting it over the zen engine. used a phil thomas 82U55 gas cowl.

good luck

I got this hull in a trade and one thing lead to another and I'm totally re-building it. It's a glass hull unsure of make. It ran in Vegas so I'm going to assume the boat was NAMBA legal and paint was close enough. I'm going to use decals on top of the white so I can correct any mistakes with it. Once I get it right I will clear over the decals.

I got this hull in a trade and one thing lead to another and I'm totally re-building it. It's a glass hull unsure of make. It ran in Vegas so I'm going to assume the boat was NAMBA legal and paint was close enough. I'm going to use decals on top of the white so I can correct any mistakes with it. Once I get it right I will clear over the decals.
Hi Kevin, the 74 Miss US was very similar in that pics were hard to find....one thing though, at least no one can dispute what you achieve although you want it as close to the original as possible. It is a nice boat too. Keith ran that hull in the 80's...Does he have any info? Looking forward to seeing it....Hey, send some pics or post on here....might be able to tell you the make of hull....

cheers

Better Talk to Paul Omerzu he will help you must get blueprint or picture post frame at Newton Marine Reason proof picture I bought blueprint( match paint code colors) for Short Curcuit U-99 from him that is why!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got what I needed from sites, the net and Kieth Warham. thanks all will post pics as the decals are going on tonight then clear.

Pics in Gallery just a few hours more and she'll be read y to rig and run. I'm not totally happy with the U-7 may change before the final clear cotes go on.

here's a teaser

IMGP2071.jpg

IMGP2072.jpg

Very close but the pictures available make you do some judgment calls. I'm very close and with the added pics I received I'll be able to make some changes to get it even closer. I have new U-7 decals to add so they don't look so screwed up.

Some final changes made and pics soon to follow after the clear dries. Looking better not a perfect match but awful close.

First run of the Notre Dame was not bad. It did run but was having fueling problems. After it stalled I then realized I forgot to put the flotation back in the rear of the boat. So sitting nose up with 1 foot showing above the water line. And as always the wind stopped...... 30minutes later I managed to snag it and get her to shore. Off to the hardware store. flotation in and off I got. Again the engine seemed strong but no top end and acting like it running out of fuel. I checked all the lines and then took apart the needle thinking it was blocked..... Ok so a .21 needle set up will not supply enough fuel to a .67 second stupid move of the day. New needle and hey running even better but still after a few laps it starts to starve for fuel. check my fuel tank....third stupid move tank in backwards. Ok hoping I've used up my stupid points for the day I send her back out and she's running great with a X450 3 and the pipe at 12", bring her back in and shorten it up to 11.5" running better change to a x455 and running even better. So at the end of all the stupid moves the ND with a Mac .67 Mac's nitro pipe at 11.25" running a pitched up x455 prop ran fantastic and looked spectacular, it even turns left LOL . Thanks all for your help in finishing this boat.

Back