Need pics of 1972 U-7 Notre Dame

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First run of the Notre Dame was not bad. It did run but was having fueling problems. After it stalled I then realized I forgot to put the flotation back in the rear of the boat. So sitting nose up with 1 foot showing above the water line. And as always the wind stopped...... 30minutes later I managed to snag it and get her to shore. Off to the hardware store. flotation in and off I got. Again the engine seemed strong but no top end and acting like it running out of fuel. I checked all the lines and then took apart the needle thinking it was blocked..... Ok so a .21 needle set up will not supply enough fuel to a .67 second stupid move of the day. New needle and hey running even better but still after a few laps it starts to starve for fuel. check my fuel tank....third stupid move tank in backwards. Ok hoping I've used up my stupid points for the day I send her back out and she's running great with a X450 3 and the pipe at 12", bring her back in and shorten it up to 11.5" running better change to a x455 and running even better. So at the end of all the stupid moves the ND with a Mac .67 Mac's nitro pipe at 11.25" running a pitched up x455 prop ran fantastic and looked spectacular, it even turns left LOL . Thanks all for your help in finishing this boat.
thats what i use to run on that boat was 3 blade octura x455. by the may the picco engines i got from you run fantastic not real fast but smooth and consistant,shane

Some final changes made and pics soon to follow after the clear dries. Looking better not a perfect match but awful close.

Here is a link to the seal.

Notre Dame Seal

Also, for next time you do touchup work, the U-7 should be larger and the name should be in Gold. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier. This is a hard boat for me to find pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have over a dozen pics of the boat now. Some of the lettering shows them black some gold... So black for now but yes I'd prefer the gold. The seal and gold lettering are being made up and will be on the hull in the near future.

I have over a dozen pics of the boat now. Some of the lettering shows them black some gold... So black for now but yes I'd prefer the gold. The seal and gold lettering are being made up and will be on the hull in the near future.

Please post some pics of your boat running when you think you have it trimmed in and all. I love to see these beautiful boats running.

Sorry Harry, but that's the 7474 hull. The 7207 had a much deeper picklefork, a towel bar between the sponsons under the nose cowl and the rear of the cockpit fairing was at least 6" forward of the transom. I do have to agree with Nitrosniffer, that is a real shame to have it looking like that. Reminds me of the Century 21 before the HARM got hold of it. Where did you find the boat or get the picture from?

Sorry Harry, but that's the 7474 hull. The 7207 had a much deeper picklefork, a towel bar between the sponsons under the nose cowl and the rear of the cockpit fairing was at least 6" forward of the transom. I do have to agree with Nitrosniffer, that is a real shame to have it looking like that. Reminds me of the Century 21 before the HARM got hold of it. Where did you find the boat or get the picture from?
You appear to be correct. This is one of those boats that just doesn't have enough signifcance to justify restoration.

Parked outside the U-37 shop. I went by today to take the pic.

nitro, hydro, harry,

according to hank k. at unlimiteds detroit the remains of the 1972 notre dame is in a detroit warehouse along with a number of other hulls owned by dave bartush.

mr.bartush had the ND hull on ebay about a year ago but no offers. hull is in very rough shape but it's there.

trying to get more info about other hulls in storage and their condition.

interesting 3 part article about the '69 ND karelsen and the '72 ND jones boats in the feb, mar and apr 2005 issues of Unlimited News Journal based on interview with former crew member dave culley. nicely compliments the detailed ND history article written by fred farley.

dave

nitro, hydro, harry,

according to hank k. at unlimiteds detroit the remains of the 1972 notre dame is in a detroit warehouse along with a number of other hulls owned by dave bartush.

mr.bartush had the ND hull on ebay about a year ago but no offers. hull is in very rough shape but it's there.

trying to get more info about other hulls in storage and their condition.

interesting 3 part article about the '69 ND karelsen and the '72 ND jones boats in the feb, mar and apr 2005 issues of Unlimited News Journal based on interview with former crew member dave culley. nicely compliments the detailed ND history article written by fred farley.

dave
He had no offers because he wanted to sell the boat for as much as possible and had a price tag of $15,000 for the trailer. Don't know about any of you, but I couldn't afford $25,000+ for a boat that would probably cost another $25,000+ to restore. Now if I had the cash, I would take both the Notre Dame and Valu Mart and restore them both. Was talking to Mr Bartush last year at SeaFair and at that time he was talking about restoring the 73 Pak hull. Dave, any chance on finding out on that one from Hank?

hydro,

thank you for details re the ebay sale. i was only vaguely aware of that situation at that time when it appeared on jrcbd.com. i'm hoping that hank k. can provide a list of hulls in storage. i remember that there was an attempt to set up a kind of hydro museum in that old warehouse several years ago. i am impressed that dave bartush is keeping these boats and hope that maybe one of them will be restored one day. i have no idea about the status of that collection today or if any work is being done to any of the hulls.

i don't know hank k. or dave b. personally but hank has been kind enough to answer many of my email questions about the old hydros. i'm always looking for more information about the notre dame boats and thought i remembered that the '72 ND was here in detroit so i asked hank k. about it.

i'll ask hank k. about that '73 pak situation.

dave

Back